Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I Need a Video Editing Beast (no gaming, just filmmaking)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Video Editing
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2012 2:20:11 AM

I need a "tom's hardware 2012 Buyers Guide: High-End Video-Editing Configuration." I'd like to find a place that can sell, assemble, and ship a custom video-editing PC that will allow me to edit and render 50Mbs HD footage with the least possible lag. I will not be gaming, just editing broadcast-quality video and audio.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: ASAP

Budget Range: $5,000 (without monitor)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Editing HD Video Footage, Editing Film Audio, Home Theater

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: New Build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I cannot assemble this myself, please recommend a place that sells it all installed

Parts Preferences: The absolute best I can afford for editing with Creative Suite 6 Production Premium

Overclocking: Open to advice

SLI or Crossfire: Open to advice

Your Monitor Resolution: Might be a separate topic, but I am also seeking a nice 1920 x 1200 reference monitor-- with 1:1 pixel mapping, great deltaE after calibration-- suitable for editing and color correcting.

Additional Comments: I don't know the first thing about what is compatible with what, how to configure a raid anything, or how to build this myself. I won't be using this for gaming, but I will have multiple monitors and will be using it for films.

Why Are You Upgrading: My current PC won't handle the demands of editing or rendering HD video.

Include a list of any parts you have already selected with descriptively labeled links for parts:

I have selected nothing so far, except for NLE software.

Right now I have the full Creative Suite 6 Production Premium-- with Premiere Pro CS6, After Effects, Photoshop Extd., Audition CS6, Flash Pro, Illustrator, Encore CS6, SpeedGrade, Prelude, Bridge. and Media Encoder.

I have been thinking about the following:

Video Card:
Matrox mojito max
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mojito_max/

Audio Card:
Focusrite Saffire PRO 14
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffirePro14/

Video Monitors:
I still don't know what external reference monitor I will get, but for the PC NLE interface monitor I have been looking at
the NEC P241W
http://www.ecost.com/p/7358469?source=EWBGOOGLEBASE&CAW...

Audio Monitors:
Genelec 8260A
http://www.genelec.com/products/3-way-monitors/8260a/

More about : video editing beast gaming filmmaking

July 14, 2012 3:02:54 AM

You can probably go a couple of ways with your build. You can build a highly-capable X79 consumer enthusiast build with:

Core i7-3930K
Asus P9X79 WS ATX workstation motherboard

You can then add anywhere from 16GB to 64GB of DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2133 RAM, a workstation-oriented graphics card, a nice Seasonic, XFX, Antec, etc PSU, and a decent CPU cooler. You would have room to overclock to juice a bit more performance out of the system. It would come out to around $2000 or so for the computer itself, and the rest of the cash could be spent on fantastic monitors.

The other option would be to look into the C600-series chipset workstation/server motherboards and the Intel Xeon E5-series CPUs (LGA 2011 socket). These chips range anywhere from ~$500 to ~$2000 each, and they have motherboards that can handle one or two of these CPUs. They generally support ECC RAM, and can support all the way up to 768GB of memory!

If you are going to go that way, then someone else will have to step in, because I've never had the audacity to even price those beasts. There are very few reviews on Newegg for those boards because no one can afford to buy them. :) 
m
l
July 14, 2012 4:17:12 AM

Well, I do like to be future-ready, but I don't think I'll quite be requiring 768GB of memory in the near future.

(Part of my problem is that this is a totally new field for me and I don't have prior experience with knowing whether or not the programs I will be running are core sensitive or very multi-threadable. I can't exactly ask the local video houses what systems are better with Adobe Premiere, etc., because, well, they wouldn't want to help a competitor.) I don't think I need ECC either, but then again I don't know enough to know what I need.

i7-3930K, that's Sandy Bridge-E, right? And there's no Ivy Bridge-E?
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 4:26:08 AM

Mannie Bothans said:
I have selected nothing so far, except for NLE software.

Right now I have the full Creative Suite 6 Production Premium-- with Premiere Pro CS6, After Effects, Photoshop Extd., Audition CS6, Flash Pro, Illustrator, Encore CS6, SpeedGrade, Prelude, Bridge. and Media Encoder.

I have been thinking about the following:

Video Card:
Matrox mojito max
http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mojito_max/

Audio Card:
Focusrite Saffire PRO 14
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffirePro14/

Video Monitors:
I still don't know what external reference monitor I will get, but for the PC NLE interface monitor I have been looking at
the NEC P241W
http://www.ecost.com/p/7358469?source=EWBGOOGLEBASE&CAW...

Audio Monitors:
Genelec 8260A
http://www.genelec.com/products/3-way-monitors/8260a/

I just went to Adobe's website and they listed their bare-bones minimum system requirements, though I am sure I am going to need more (very fast) drives and more memory:

System requirements:

Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
Microsoft® Windows® 7 with Service Pack 1 (64 bit)
4GB of RAM (8GB recommended)
4GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
Additional disk space required for preview files and other working files (10GB recommended)
1280x900 display
OpenGL 2.0–capable system
7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)
Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
QuickTime 7.6.6 software required for QuickTime features
An Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance

Supported AMD graphics cards for GPU acceleration:

• AMD Radeon HD 6750M (only on certain MacBook Pro computers running OS X Lion (10.7.x) with a minimum of 1GB VRAM)
• AMD Radeon HD 6770M (only on certain MacBook Pro computers running OS X Lion (10.7.x) with a minimum of 1GB VRAM)
Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration
GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)
GeForce GTX 470 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 570 (Windows)
GeForce GTX 580 (Windows)
NVIDIA® Tesla C2075 card (Windows) when paired with a Quadro card as part of an NVIDIA Maximus™ configuration
Quadro FX 3700M (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)
Quadro FX 3800M (Windows)
Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)
Quadro 2000 (Windows)
Quadro 2000D (Windows)
Quadro 2000M (Windows)
Quadro 3000M (Windows)
Quadro 4000 (Windows and Mac OS)
Quadro 4000M (Windows)
Quadro 5000 (Windows)
Quadro 5000M (Windows)
Quadro 5010M (Windows)
Quadro 6000 (Windows)
Quadro CX (Windows)
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 14, 2012 4:36:01 AM

http://raincomputers.com/store/venturi

You can try this site that will build a specialized computer for just what you want to do , I already put in choices that come to $5000. You can chek it out and see what you think.
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 14, 2012 4:43:48 AM

I just tried the link and none of the choices stayed in there but it did bring up the site and all you would have to do is select the options.
I chose the Xeon 3.33ghz and 24gb of ram along with a 240gb ssd and a 2Tb hard drive , a Nvidia Quadro 4000 , Blue ray storm optical , 800w psu and 2 year warranty.
But once you get in there if you want to make your own choices then you can and this is a specialized Pc builder for film makers
m
l
July 14, 2012 5:27:20 AM

THAT just could be the site I have been seeking. It appears as though they offer the Venturi that has a 3.3GHz Westmere Xeon 6 core or the Element V2 that can have two Sandy Bridge-E 2.4GHz Xeon 4 core or two 2.3GHz Xeon 6 cores.
m
l
July 14, 2012 1:32:18 PM

inzone said:
http://raincomputers.com/store/venturi

You can try this site that will build a specialized computer for just what you want to do , I already put in choices that come to $5000. You can chek it out and see what you think.

What do they mean when they say they "tune Windows 7 [64-bit] for the ultimate performance, stability and compatibility with your creative software and hardware. This is how your software was meant to run." I wonder what would be better about going with Rain instead of configuring the same thing from a place like http://www.cpusolutions.com/store/pc/configurePrd.asp?i...
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 14, 2012 3:25:28 PM

It must mean that they can make adjustments to the Windows 7 OS to be enhanced for just what you do , film making , and they say in thier web site headline that they specialize in making a computer for just that purpose , making fims , and if you were to choose to build a computer you would have to make the computer fit your needs while this company does that for you. I think the other site is more like a system builder where you can put toghether a computer for a certian price an I think that while it might be a bit more expensive you would have a specialized computer put together for you by a company the specializes in making computers for film makers like yourself. I'm sure that it is costing something for them to do that and by building your own you could end up with a less expensive computer but you would be your own tech support and with this company you can get a warranty so if something goes wrong you have someone to call.
The place that you listed does not have the option of choosing a Xeon cpu , you can only choose regular Ivy Bridge and nothing else , no Sandy Bridge , Sandy Bridge-E or any other model.
m
l
July 15, 2012 3:44:34 AM

If only I could double my budget, I could do:

Two 2.3GHz Intel Xeon 6-Core [15MB Cache]
32GB Quad-Chanel SDRAM (4 x 8GB)
1TB SATA III Hard Drive [7200RPM]
RAID Controller Card
Windows 7 Pro [64-bit]
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 [2GB]
NVIDIA Tesla C2075 Companion Processor
StormDrive CD/DVD/Blu-Ray Writer
1200 Watt [80Plus Certified]
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 15, 2012 4:09:41 AM

I have the same problem when it comes to selecting parts for a build I need more money for what I want.
m
l
July 17, 2012 1:41:05 AM
July 17, 2012 9:28:27 AM

Just a note, the Mojito card is a video I/O card, not a GPU. It is used for capture, output and encoding, not driving your monitor. Most people aren't even using video I/O cards anymore, what format are you planning on shooting?
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 17, 2012 2:18:42 PM

Most of th sites you have listed have a review tab that will give you some feedback from customers and any reviews that were done by magazines and testing sites and if any awards were given for certian models.
m
l
July 17, 2012 2:31:34 PM

Nevermind, I see where you said 50 Mb/s. I'd still recommend that rather than a 2 TB hard drive, you use 2x1TB in a RAID, it will make a noticeable, measurable difference. If you're not capturing over SDI or HDMI- i.e. you're doing digital file transfers instead of capturing- you don't really need the Mojito card. If you are, then you should be prepared to be handling footage at higher data rates than 50 Mb/s- you're going to be looking at data rates up to and including uncompressed HD, which is the gold standard for 'professional quality video'... (not to mention handling any type of raw digital cinema formatted footage, which can get pretty high as well.)
m
l
July 17, 2012 7:27:39 PM

Draven35 said:
Nevermind, I see where you said 50 Mb/s. I'd still recommend that rather than a 2 TB hard drive, you use 2x1TB in a RAID, it will make a noticeable, measurable difference. If you're not capturing over SDI or HDMI- i.e. you're doing digital file transfers instead of capturing- you don't really need the Mojito card. If you are, then you should be prepared to be handling footage at higher data rates than 50 Mb/s- you're going to be looking at data rates up to and including uncompressed HD, which is the gold standard for 'professional quality video'... (not to mention handling any type of raw digital cinema formatted footage, which can get pretty high as well.)

Thanks, I am still really, really having trouble wrapping my mind around how I might use different hard drives for different portions of my workflow. I have never edited HD footage before, so I am starting with a simpler Canon XF100. I was told to get the I/O because it came with monitor calibration features that would be helpful, but I was confusing different mojito products. (Right now my brain is a swirling mess of new information.) I would like to move into the realm of something like a Blackmagic Cinema Camera eventually (or beyond), but you are right-- in the near future I don't see myself working with RAW or 4.5K footage, or anything that intense. For now, I will be using footage off of my CF cards because I don't even have any SDI options on the XF100 right now.

If, in the future, I do rent a better camera for a particular shoot-- what would I need in order to be prepared to be handling footage at data rates up to and including uncompressed HD?

Right now I am looking at configurations like:

From the Puget site:

Motherboard Asus P9X79 Deluxe
CPU Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz Six Core 12MB 130W
Ram Kingston 32GB DDR3-1333 (4x8GB)
Video Card PNY Quadro 5000 PCI-E 2.5GB
Sound Card Onboard Sound
Controllers Silverstone USB 3.0 PCI-Express card
ExtrasTripp-Lite OmniVS - 1500VA, 940 Watts

Storage
Hard Drive Intel 520 240GB SATA 6Gb/s 2.5inch SSD
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB SATA 6Gb/s
Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB SATA 6Gb/s
CD / DVD Asus 12x Blu-ray Burner SATA (black)
Removable Drive ATech PRO-35U USB 2.0 Internal/External Card Reader

Case / Cooling
Case Antec P183 V3 (Gunmetal Finish)
Power Supply Antec CP-850 850W Power Supply
CPU Cooling Puget Hydro CL3 Liquid Cooling System

(I had a configuration I liked slightly better at adk, but it is not as easy to cut and paste.)
m
l
July 17, 2012 10:51:51 PM

More drive space, primarily.But you can cross that bridge when you get there.

Is there a particular reason you're adding the USB 3 card? the motherboard already has eight USB 3.0 port...

I would add back in some type of USB or PCIe ASIO-compatible audio interface, even if its only a 2 in 2 out. Premiere prefers an ASIO audio interface, as will most audio applications.

If you feel the need to get a video I/O card for monitoring, this one will do: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/
(specifically the Decklink Studio)
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 17, 2012 11:24:25 PM

Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Enterprise Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$119.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you are going with a raid setup then these hard drives from Western Digital were specificly made for raid. Also to get really crazy with the transfer speeds you can go with something like this;

OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2 Max IOPS RVD3MIX2-FHPX4-960G PCI-E 960GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$2299.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-...

I have had the 240gb RevoDrive and used it as the boot drive but th better use for it would be storage and if you needed extreme speed transfer these are faster than a raid.
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:53:47 PM

$2300 for 1 TB... which isn't much storage when working with video.
m
l
July 18, 2012 12:29:03 AM

I know so little about all this stuff that I am basically just picking things at random. I know the GTX video cards are WAY faster than the Quadros for the price, but the PNY QUDROs support 10bit monitors, etc.

Some sites will allow you to throw the tesla maximus thing in there, too-- but man, if I was going to spend that much, why wouldn't I just buy one of these: http://www.fusionio.com/platforms/iofx/

inzone, I wonder if there is a way to know whether or not http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?r... or other such build-your-own sites are offering the HDDs you are recommending, just by reading the description? In other words, how do I tell the difference between a "Western Digital Caviar Black 1.0TB SATA 6Gb/s" and a "Western Digital RE4 WD1003FBYX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

I don't remember if I meant to add a hard raid controller or if the extra usbs were a freebie, but you're right, I don't need them. I liked the ADK site because they bundled the audio I'd been looking at:

TopPower Striker 850W Power Supply
MotherBoard ADK Core i7 SB-E, 4 PCIex16, 2 PCIe,
Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz 6core 12 meg cache
Intel Liquid Cooler
ADK Quiet Case Fans 8DB Noctua
8x4 32Gig DDR3 1600 low voltage
Win7 64bit
OS/Programs Drive: 240GB SSD (560MB read/520MB write)
Sources Drives: Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg)
Render Drives: Western Digital - 2TB Raid 0(2x 1TB 64Meg)
Storage Drives: Western Digital -4TB raid0 (2x2TB 64meg cache sata 6Gb/s)
Intel RS@BL080 SAS raid controller 512 MB ECC DDR2 - 2xSFF-8087
PNY - Quadro 4000: PCIE X16 2GB, GDDR5, DVI, 2DP ST Fermi
Bella - EZ-Keyboard Professional Series III with Jog shuttle for Premiere
Focusrite - Saffire Pro 14: 8 in/6 out. 2 mic pres Firewire interface

1. What would you do differently to maximize the potential?
2. What would you do differently if you choices were limited to only what was offered by a company that assembles these things and supports customers. (The above configuration came from http://www.adkvideoediting.com/systems/viewsystem.cfm?r... )

I still have no idea how many drives I would need to make my life easier, nor what kind of raid controller (if any I would need) or anything like that.
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:09:48 AM

Two drives, use the onboard RAID in raid 0 or three drives (afaik) in RAID 5 for some redundancy. You don't need the SAS RAID controller unless you're getting SAS drives.

The ioFX card is just a fast SSD, it doesn't actually accelerate rendering.

If you aren't shooting in a 10 bit format and finishing for 10 bit, then there is no reason to spend three grand plus on a ten bit monitor. (The Canon doesn't shoot 10-bit...)

Do you have seven stereo devices you need to connect to the system simultaneously? (this is usually multiple musical instruments- i.e. synthesizers) If not, then a 2 in 2 out will work just fine. Unless you're doing scoring- synthesizers, guitars, micing a drum kit, etc- you won't need an audio interface with 14 ins (I have a 16 in 2 out audio interface and a pile of synths)If you're going to mix surround, then a 6 out lets you mix unencoded 5.1 (which you would encode as an output step) Are you going to be connecting multiple mics to the machine directly? If not, then you don't need mic preamps in the audio interface.

Also, if you are getting that audio interface- or any firewire audio interface- you're going to need to add a Texas Instruments-based firewire card.

m
l
July 18, 2012 1:53:56 AM

Oh boy, now I have to go back and rethink GPUs.

inzone-- was there another reason you were recommending the QUADRO? Maybe the SDI output from the video card?

I'm thinking that I would get better performance for a lot less money with the GeForce cards (though I might have to go in and "unlock" Premiere's GPU acceleration with every update and rewrite of the cuda_supported_cards.txt file).

RAID--
I just picked the cheapest raid controller, not knowing I didn't even need it.

Audio interface--
In: I would like the option for a couple of ADR mics, but I won't ever be scoring with a fleet of instruments. Out: I was looking at getting a pair of Genelec 8260A, but I'd need the right audio interface, and I have no idea what that might be. Maybe this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Saff6USB/ or this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett2i2/ or this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/US144mk2/
m
l
a b C Monitor
July 18, 2012 2:18:31 AM

Ihad recomended the Quaddro because it was a professional graphics card and without having experience in filmmaking it wasn't clear to me as to which would be better. I was depending on you knowing what works for what you do since all of these build suggestions are just that and you have the ability to make changes to suit your needs if something was clearly out of place.
m
l
July 18, 2012 4:53:06 AM

But, compute performance on the 600 series NVIDIA cards is crippled... and 'computer performance' is what accelerates PRemiere... so stck with a 500 series (likely, 570 or so)... you don't need the quadro, save the money.

Are you going to build a vocal booth for doing ADR?

The Genelecs are probably a lot more than you need unless you have a HUGE room... you need near-field monitors... maybe these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P/ paired with the sub that comes up as a recommended accessory...

m
l
July 18, 2012 3:03:00 PM

Oh, I just learned that adkvideoediting is less than two hours from my house. That really makes me want to go with them. What would you configure based on what is offered at http://www.adkvideoediting.com?

Draven35 said:
But, compute performance on the 600 series NVIDIA cards is crippled... and 'computer performance' is what accelerates PRemiere... so stck with a 500 series (likely, 570 or so)... you don't need the quadro, save the money.

Thanks! I wonder how loud the 580 or 570 GPU might be. I plan on building a treatment enclosure for the PC anyway, but the quieter the better.

Draven35 said:
Are you going to build a vocal booth for doing ADR?

I am going to have to build everything. Here is a sketch of my unfinished basement: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12554833/basement.jpg

As you come down the stairs, you enter the entire basement through a 4.375ft entrance. To the left as you enter the open space, there is a support pole about 11ft from the nearest drywall wall. If I put a wall all the way across the entire basement where that pole is, I would have a studio (that could double as a home theater) that was 18.5ft wide, 30.6ft long, and 8.4ft tall. I am thinking about walling off the 10ftx20ft space with the furnace, restroom, and water heater to separate that space from the rest of the basement and isolate the sound from those noisemakers a bit. This would leave two spaces that my wife wants to use for other things (one 15ftx8,25 ft and another 18ftx11ft), plus a 33.5ft long and narrow storage area.

Draven35 said:
The Genelecs are probably a lot more than you need unless you have a HUGE room... you need near-field monitors... maybe these http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR2325P/ paired with the sub that comes up as a recommended accessory...

I'd rather not have a 4,800 cubic feet editing room, so I'd like to chop up that space into two rooms-- one would be a 2,200 cubic foot room.

I could wall-off and audio treat an area that was 8.4 high x 13.44 wide x 19.57 long and use that space as a combined editing room and home theater (using my editing monitors as my TV and home theater speakers) with a couch in that room-- and then the other room could be a small video recording studio with greenscreen, ADR booth, etc.

m
l
July 18, 2012 5:37:28 PM

What is the ceiling height? What kind of power do you have down there? Two decent size filming lights are pretty much more than a home electrical system is designed to handle....
m
l
July 18, 2012 5:50:10 PM

From concrete floor to the bottom of the floor above is 8.4ft. Very low.

Right now I just have 3 lights, and each of them pulls 500 Watts each, they are fluorescents.
m
l
July 18, 2012 6:05:35 PM

Kino-flos or some clone? good investment, they are one of the few ways to be able to run multiple lights in a household. I'd try to add a 500w Fresnel to that and that gives you a decent kit... keep in mind you're probably going to burn two of those flourescents lighting the screen evenly....
m
l
July 18, 2012 6:38:02 PM

nice, still...

those softwoxes will be nice for lighting a screen and for fill lights, but a key light needs a bit of a harder light source.
m
l

Best solution

July 18, 2012 8:09:05 PM

ADK 3900

Case ADK - ADK Tower: (8) 3.5" bays 6 are removable, (4) 5.25 Bays Firewire/USB2 in fr
Power Supply Top Power - Striker 850 - 850W, up to 94% efficiency, 5 year Warranty
Motherboard ADK - Core i7 SB-E, 4 PCIex16, 2 PCIe, up to 64Gig ram no firewire.
Processor Intel - Core i7 @ 4.2GHz 4 core 10meg cache
Processor 2 None
CPU Cooling Intel - Intel Liquid cooler self contained unit (quiet)
Quieting/Xtra Cooling ADK - ADK Quiet Case fans (2) 8DB Noctua
Memory 16gig (4x4GB) DDR3 1600 LV Lifetime warranty.
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM
Other Software Paragon Backup & Recovery 11 Suite with ADK recovery DVD.
OS/Programs Drive 120GB SSD: 560MB read/515MB write. 10 yr warranty.
Source Drive SEAGATE - 2TB raid 0 (2 64Meg 1TB drives)
Render Drive SEAGATE - 1TB Sata 600 64meg cache 1 yr warranty ST1000DM003
DVD-RW/BDR PLEXTOR - PX-890SA 24X DVDRW SATA Retail: Plextor 24XDVDRW with PlexUtilities, SATA,
Dual Head Video GeForce GTX570 1280MB: 1280MB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 HDMI - DisplayPort - DV
Video Preview Blackmagic Design - Intensity Shuttle: Incredible 10 bit HDMI and Analog video editing for USB
Pro Audio Interface Focusrite - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: 2x2 USB2 Audio Interface USB 2.0 Audio Interface, 2
Studio Monitors KRK - KRK RP5 G2(pair)

Total $3,741.00

I might switch the 1 yr warranty seagate drives for 5 yr warranty WD drives (adds $66 to total) and add the KRK powered sub (they don't list). You can upgrade the CPU if you like but using premiere most of your premiere rendering is going to be on the GPU anyway. Get a $250 or so condenser mic and build a vocal boos, put up walls and add a sub floor to get you off the concrete (otherwise all the effort of buying the nice audio interface, monitors, etc will be lost in having an acoustically horrible room).

For shooting your little greenscreen, run an HDMI cable from the HDMI output of the Canon XF 100 directly into the Intensity pro and capture straight into the RAID in the editing system. You can capture 10-bit uncompressed video that way and skip the horrible compression of the camera. (I have a lot of personal experience with DVCProHD and the compression on that is pretty strong...) Get a spot meter and learn how to use it, spot meter the screen and try to get the entire visible area of the screen within a half stop (I prefer less) to get good keys. (yeah i realize that part is usually responsibility of the DP, I have a degree in this stuff and taught more than a dozen people in college how to meter a screen... but being realistic he may be shooting this stuff himself with no DP.)
July 18, 2012 10:16:10 PM

Best answer selected by Mannie Bothans.
m
l
July 18, 2012 10:45:11 PM

Sorry i didnt pick monitors or anything, you were looking at those elsewhere.

m
l
July 19, 2012 3:34:35 AM

Draven35 said:
Sorry i didnt pick monitors or anything, you were looking at those elsewhere.

Right. The internal stuff I really felt like I wanted them to install, but external things I could get from another place. I didn't particularly love any of the video monitors they offered. I am looking at a few that can be color-calibrated easily like maybe the NEC P241W, the NEC PA231W, the Asus PA238Q, HP ZR2440w, Dell UltraSharp U2410, BenQ EW2730, BenQ XL2420T, or Viewsonic VP2365-LED. Of course, since I am planning on making the editing room do double duty as a home theater space-- that means I can sink ALL of my home theater budget into a larger, more color correct video monitor and a better, fuller-range audio monitor system as well.
m
l
July 19, 2012 3:56:34 AM

or use a good, color correct projector...
m
l
July 29, 2012 2:02:04 AM

Draven35 said:
For shooting your little greenscreen, run an HDMI cable from the HDMI output of the Canon XF 100 directly into the Intensity pro and capture straight into the RAID in the editing system. You can capture 10-bit uncompressed video that way and skip the horrible compression of the camera. (I have a lot of personal experience with DVCProHD and the compression on that is pretty strong...)

Hmm... So instead of the internal Intensity Pro card, could I add an external one to my rig (maybe something like the Intensity Extreme) and hook it up to a portable hard drive mounted to the rig, and always record uncompressed?
m
l
July 29, 2012 3:00:42 AM

Well, the drive would have to be capable of maintaining uncompressed HD data rates, but yes.
m
l
February 21, 2013 8:39:39 PM

If you are still in the video rendering mode and want to pick up some real-time speed with economic feasibility. I would recommend the

EVGA Z77 FTW Mother Board
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K
16 Gb ddr3
(4) EVGA GTX 580 1595-AR GRAPHIC CARDS 4-WAY SLI
(4) SSD Hard drives RAID 5 STRIPING
(2) AX 1200 WATT POWER SUPPLIES
Lian-Li Dual Power Supply Adapter
CM STORM TROOPER HIGH TOWER CASE
(2) 12Omm 110 CFM CASE FANS
NOTE: The fans do add additional noise although water cooling is high risk and not as effective as proper designed and placement of air cooling fans

I personally have this system and have done benchmarks with other professionals with many different and much more expensive and elaborate systems and not be brag, but . . . . . . later CPUs do have a small impact and the only other systems that will significantly out do mine are extremely complex, elaborate, and several times the price. jkcinci@yahoo.com

m
l
!