Intermittent screen freeze with HD 4830

Hey there,

I build my own machine a few years ago, with an XFX HD 4830 graphics card inside. I've been impressed with the performance, but sadly it has caused continual hardware glitches, giving me a screen freeze about once a week, meaning I have to reset and lose all my data.

I've got an Intel DP43TF Motherboard with a Q9550 processor and 6gb of RAM. I'm happy with performance, no need for an upgrade there, just want to rid myself of this frustrating glitch.

Can anyone recommend a graphics card that will work with this combo, and fit the motherboard, and maybe be more likely to work. I use dual monitors through DVI to VGA adapters, and do a lot of graphics/video with occasional gaming.

Alternatively, any recommendations for hunting down the cause of the glitch...? I've assumed its the graphics card. I also get a brief screen freeze on resuming from standby also, which resolves after a few seconds.

Chris

EDIT:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video editing, Photoshop, GTA IV, Fallout 3.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: XFX Radeon HD 4830 512mb and 550W Gigabyte Superb 550P Power Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel DP43TF Motherboard with a Q9550 processor and 6gb of RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: CCL COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: whatever works

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2x 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Willing to spend a little extra to have something slightly future proof that I can move to my next machine...
3 answers Last reply
More about intermittent screen freeze 4830
  1. Have you tried updating your drivers? I remember my brother's 6870 acted like this on an occasion...

Anyway, for your current rig/PSU I think a 7850 would do great with a bit of futureproofing.
  2. Yes, I've updated them repeatedly over the last couple of years. Definitely got better, but hasn't completely resolved the issue...

I've been unimpressed enough that I'd like to at least consider a non AMD solution this time. Any suggestions...?
  3. Ahhh I see :(

Well for your current power supply, I would recommend something like a GTX 560 (non Ti). But I'm a bit concerned if your PSU can handle it, so I would recommend a PSU upgrade as well.

If you do opt for a PSU+GPU upgrade, I would recommend something like a Corsair TX650/CX600 and a GTX560Ti/GTX570(since they can be found pretty cheap now).
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics