Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent screen freeze with HD 4830

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 6:27:17 AM

Hey there,

I build my own machine a few years ago, with an XFX HD 4830 graphics card inside. I've been impressed with the performance, but sadly it has caused continual hardware glitches, giving me a screen freeze about once a week, meaning I have to reset and lose all my data.

I've got an Intel DP43TF Motherboard with a Q9550 processor and 6gb of RAM. I'm happy with performance, no need for an upgrade there, just want to rid myself of this frustrating glitch.

Can anyone recommend a graphics card that will work with this combo, and fit the motherboard, and maybe be more likely to work. I use dual monitors through DVI to VGA adapters, and do a lot of graphics/video with occasional gaming.

Alternatively, any recommendations for hunting down the cause of the glitch...? I've assumed its the graphics card. I also get a brief screen freeze on resuming from standby also, which resolves after a few seconds.

Chris

EDIT:

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Video editing, Photoshop, GTA IV, Fallout 3.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: XFX Radeon HD 4830 512mb and 550W Gigabyte Superb 550P Power Supply

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel DP43TF Motherboard with a Q9550 processor and 6gb of RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: CCL COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK

PARTS PREFERENCES: whatever works

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 2x 1280x1024

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Willing to spend a little extra to have something slightly future proof that I can move to my next machine...

More about : intermittent screen freeze 4830

a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:30:28 AM

Have you tried updating your drivers? I remember my brother's 6870 acted like this on an occasion...

Anyway, for your current rig/PSU I think a 7850 would do great with a bit of futureproofing.
May 21, 2012 9:03:35 AM

Yes, I've updated them repeatedly over the last couple of years. Definitely got better, but hasn't completely resolved the issue...

I've been unimpressed enough that I'd like to at least consider a non AMD solution this time. Any suggestions...?
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 8:17:24 PM

Ahhh I see :( 

Well for your current power supply, I would recommend something like a GTX 560 (non Ti). But I'm a bit concerned if your PSU can handle it, so I would recommend a PSU upgrade as well.

If you do opt for a PSU+GPU upgrade, I would recommend something like a Corsair TX650/CX600 and a GTX560Ti/GTX570(since they can be found pretty cheap now).
!