Your question

SLI what I have or go with more modern

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 6:57:17 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 weeks BUDGET RANGE: $300

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: I want to game at best possible appearance for least money; video editing
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY:p C Power and Cooling 750

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: I7 920 standard clock, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev1, 6 gig ram, Win 7 Home Pro 64

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg and Amazon but others are ok. USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: SLI and overclock are likely

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
My system is currently running at stock speeds. I have not overclocked the CPU or GPU but have overclocked my older systems in the past going all the way back to a Pentium 3 so I'm not intimated to do so. Have a 212 cooler on CPU now but am probably going to go with a H100 cooler prior to overclocking.

Now for my real dilemma .I am currently running a stock XFX GTX 260. What I am wondering is it a lot more sensible to just get another 260 off ebay for $50 and SLI or should I save some money up and get a single 670? If I get the 670 there would only be one card I could not afford two.

More about : sli modern

a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:14:06 AM

http://www.hwcompare.com/12584/geforce-gtx-260-vs-gefor... These are just numbers but from the looks of it, a single 670 could outperform a 260 SLI setup. Not to mention it'll use less power than a single 260 and certainly less than an SLI setup.

I would personally go with a 670.
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:14:26 AM

I would say wait 4 weeks and get a 670, but listen to others they may have more insight than myself. Nvidias and AMD's current generation are phenomenal IMO!
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:35:43 AM

I would wait and see what happens with the 660 since its supposed to rival the 7870
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:42:59 AM

dudewitbow said:
I would wait and see what happens with the 660 since its supposed to rival the 7870

Yes that's a great option as well. Hopefully it'll come out in the next few months :lol: 
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:06:44 PM

Excellent link. Will be using that from now on when comparing. It does not however allow for the possibility of comparing a SLI 260 rig to a single 670. I'm looking for bang for the buck. Power consumption is not an issue really for two reasons. I don't leave the rig on all day and night. It only sees a hour or two on work days and maybe 3 to 4 hours on off days. The PS is definitely up to the task.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 9:51:55 PM

Glad the link helped :) 

The 260 is a great card, SLI would be great. But personally, I would still prefer to go with a single 670 than adding another 260.

Few reasons behind this -

1) Much newer technology with newer features (GPU boost is awesome I must say)
2) Better future-proofing, you can SLI this card in the future (maybe 1-3 years down the road?) for double, maybe even triple performance of the 260 SLI Setup.
3) This may be irrelevant to you, but it's a big selling point for me, power consumption.
4) There may be some scaling and stutter issues in games due to the SLI Setup.

Just much less stress/worry overall with a single power card I think :na:  .
m
l
!