PC Not Booting - Whats wrong?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 7:30:33 AM

Hi guys! Here's my setup:

i7-3820
Asus P9X79
Intel 40 GB X25-V
Samsung Spinpoint F1
PowerColor 6950 2GB (I don't have the right adapter for this and will buy one tomorrow)
Zotac 9800GT (For testing purposes)
Mushkin 12GB 1600MHz Triple-Channel
APower 800W

So my problem is, is that I was sleeving my PSU (Corsair TX850M) and shortening it's cables, and looks like I'm not the best modder that has ever lived... I broke that PSU. Luckily I found my old APower 800W PSU the same day I realized that I broke the TX850M. So I tried booting, and now I can't post. My mobo has a red LED light that says "BOOT_DEVICE_LED".

These are the same components that I used prior to my PSU modding incident (The 6950 was gone for an RMA) and were all working. I tested the monitors (Eyefinity setup) and they all work with my Macbook Air fine. I'm BTW only plugging in one display at a time. What can I do to determine what's wrong? Is there like a hidden way to see what boot error I'm getting like what a POST display would do? Any help is MUCH appreciated! I have been without a computer for almost a month and a half now, and I'm kinda, really, almost, definitely, maybe mad at myself.

Thanks guys! You never let me down!

More about : booting whats wrong

a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:39:03 AM

Just to make sure, the SSD has no previous installation of Windows, right? Also, have you tried clearing cmos (remove all drives but your main boot drive) and setting up your boot device priority again?

If all fails, I would recommend an RMA.
Score
a c 200 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:45:48 AM

start by doing the simple stuff. check that the you plugged in all the cable into where they have to be..that you did not miss the 4/8 pin connector on the mb. and that you have both power plugs plugged into your video card if it needs two. a lot of people miss these two..the next thing to check is the cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan header..most mb wont post if it missing.
i would also check that you did not short anything out on your sata power.
Score
Related resources
May 21, 2012 11:10:15 PM

mocchan said:
Just to make sure, the SSD has no previous installation of Windows, right? Also, have you tried clearing cmos (remove all drives but your main boot drive) and setting up your boot device priority again?

If all fails, I would recommend an RMA.

The SSD does have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on it. I have removed the CMOS battery and I have removed all the drives. I have also dumbed down to 1x stick of ram. I can't make my SSD the priority drive without posting... It should post anyways without any drives right? It should POST and say please plug in a Boot Device or something shouldn't it? Got my adapter and booted with the 6950. It's an RMA card so nothing wrong with that. RAM is nearly never faulty especially newer already working RAM, so can't be that, no CPU-Error LEDs or beeps, so it should be fine. Am I right? The CPU fan is plugged in the right way BTW. So we're down to only the mobo. The mobo is brand new and has been working perfectly. Is there any reason why it shouldn't be working? This is not a very wel known brand PSU. Could it be that the PSU is just not giving enough Power to the system?
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 1:07:30 AM

armored said:
The SSD does have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on it. I have removed the CMOS battery and I have removed all the drives. I have also dumbed down to 1x stick of ram. I can't make my SSD the priority drive without posting... It should post anyways without any drives right? It should POST and say please plug in a Boot Device or something shouldn't it? Got my adapter and booted with the 6950. It's an RMA card so nothing wrong with that. RAM is nearly never faulty especially newer already working RAM, so can't be that, no CPU-Error LEDs or beeps, so it should be fine. Am I right? The CPU fan is plugged in the right way BTW. So we're down to only the mobo. The mobo is brand new and has been working perfectly. Is there any reason why it shouldn't be working? This is not a very wel known brand PSU. Could it be that the PSU is just not giving enough Power to the system?

http://www.amazon.com/A-Power-800W-4-pin-SATA-PCIe/dp/B... - Is this your PSU?
Lack of power may be the cause of your problems...though it's unlikely. I can't find any specs on this PSU at the moment so I can't tell 100%.

Anyway, you're right, even without a boot device, it should post and inform you to insert a boot device.

Do you have a spare PSU lying around somewhere so you can test your PSU theory out?
a c 200 U Graphics card
May 28, 2012 9:24:08 PM

if you sparked the old power supply and it smoked you may have fried your mb. you should be able to get into the bios if there no boot device. one thing to check or redoo is you could have damaged the bios chip...you can try and reflash it. if not i would rma it.
Score
June 4, 2012 3:29:40 AM

So I checked it in to the IT shop in town, and they sent it back working! They disassembled and reassembled the entire system, and the system works now! So maybe something just wasn't inserted correctly. SO I'm happy now! But my SSD is REALLY bothering me. It's only 40GB, and takes 49s to boot. Any suggestions?
Score
a b U Graphics card
June 4, 2012 3:33:30 AM

Good to hear your PC is working now.

However about your SSD, is that from the "Starting Windows" part? Or from a cold boot (including POST) ?

If it's from the Starting Windows part, go into BIOS and see if AHCI is enabled.
Score
June 11, 2012 6:36:05 PM

mocchan said:
Good to hear your PC is working now.

However about your SSD, is that from the "Starting Windows" part? Or from a cold boot (including POST) ?

If it's from the Starting Windows part, go into BIOS and see if AHCI is enabled.

Cold boot. (sorry for the long reply, I've been busy at school...)
Score
June 21, 2012 6:08:05 AM

Anyways, I'm upgrading to the Vertex 3 240GB. Thanks for the help guys!
Score
June 21, 2012 6:08:14 AM

Best answer selected by armored.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 21, 2012 8:48:55 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!