Sign in with
Your question

Which graphics card should I buy?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 8:30:18 AM

Hello there!

I need little help: I want to upgrade my PC with a new GPU and PSU. Here are the facts:

1) I will be using my PC for 1920x1080p gaming (single 60Hz 2D monitor, no plans for multi monitor or 3D monitor in the near future)
2) Current PC specs:
* core 2 quad q6600 G0 2.4GHZ, clocked to 3GHZ (didn't try to clock it more because my current PSU is weak), has a good cooler for overclocking, so perhaps with a new PSU I can go higher.
* MSI G41M-P28 motherboard (single PCI-E 2.0, socket 775)
* 8GB of ram (2x4GB) @ 1333MHZ
* 8800 GTS 512 (is irrelevant, but what the heck XD)
* Cooler Master HAF 922 case (I still haven't bought it yet, but I'm 90% sure I will) - have any other suggestions?
3) I have no specific games that I want to play: I want my PC to simply work on anything with 45+ FPS for the next 2-3 years.
4) My plan is to put a new card now, and within a year or two to take a new motherboard with an i7 or AMD equivalent.
5) I'm leaning towards single card build, rather than SLI/CF, but hey, each day you might learn something new.

So, my questions are:

1) what GPU should I get (that will last for at least 2-3 years), at ~200 Euros (or ~$250)? Should I take 560ti (1GB or 2GB?), or the new 7850, or should I wait for the 660/660ti? I will also consider all other cards that you suggest.
2) Also, what about the CPU-GPU bottleneck?
3) Will PCI-E 2.0 be a problem for the 7850/660? Will it slow it down, and if yes, how much?
4) How powerful PSU should I take? (it should be powerful enough for this PC (q6600OC+GPU that I buy now) and the next one (an i7+GPU that I buy now)
5) Can I overclock the suggested card with evga precision/MSI afterburner? If not, please tell me the tool I can use.

I like Nvidia, because I was always using it, but AMD has more VRAM. Nvidia has physx, AMD has better benchmarks. Damn it, decisions, decisions... :ange: 

If you need additional info, please ask.

Thank you for your help :) 

P.S. It's my first post, so please be gentle :D 

More about : graphics card buy

May 21, 2012 8:35:06 AM

Sorry I didn't use the template, I just saw that now, and for some reason, the forum won't let me edit my message... :\
May 21, 2012 8:54:26 AM

1.7850 is more powerful than 560ti. It also consumes less power. Right now there is a 7850 2gb for $239 and 560ti for $ 229 at newegg. Both the cards an give playable fps at 1920x1080. But you should definitely go for 7850. I am not sure about 1gb or 2gb but i think it does not cause much difference. It did not cause any difference in the previous generation radeon 6950.

2.You got a quad core clocked at 3 ghz. I dont think there will be much bottleneck. Plus, most games are CPU dependent and not GPU dependent.

3.PCI-E 2.0 wont be a problem at all. I have a radeon 6770 (well its about dead now) and it did not have a problem at pci-e 1.1 . So you should bot worry about that.

4.I am not a PSU expert but i think that a 600W-650W PSU from a reputed brand like Corsair, Antec, Rosewill or Seasonic will be fine. Although i would suggest you to do more research about it. If possible, get a modular PSU. This will give your case some breathing room.

5.Although i dont overclock but MSI Afterburner can overclock just about any graphic card.

Dont be confused between Nvidia and AMD. Both are reputed brands with great products. Its just about getting the right deal. The brand should not be a factor in your decision. Both are equally good.
Related resources
May 21, 2012 10:06:20 AM

ammu_10 said:
1.7850 is more powerful than 560ti. It also consumes less power. Right now there is a 7850 2gb for $239 and 560ti for $ 229 at newegg. Both the cards an give playable fps at 1920x1080. But you should definitely go for 7850. I am not sure about 1gb or 2gb but i think it does not cause much difference. It did not cause any difference in the previous generation radeon 6950.

2.You got a quad core clocked at 3 ghz. I dont think there will be much bottleneck. Plus, most games are CPU dependent and not GPU dependent.

3.PCI-E 2.0 wont be a problem at all. I have a radeon 6770 (well its about dead now) and it did not have a problem at pci-e 1.1 . So you should bot worry about that.

4.I am not a PSU expert but i think that a 600W-650W PSU from a reputed brand like Corsair, Antec, Rosewill or Seasonic will be fine. Although i would suggest you to do more research about it. If possible, get a modular PSU. This will give your case some breathing room.

5.Although i dont overclock but MSI Afterburner can overclock just about any graphic card.

Dont be confused between Nvidia and AMD. Both are reputed brands with great products. Its just about getting the right deal. The brand should not be a factor in your decision. Both are equally good.

1. What about gtx 660? I have a feeling it will be better than the 7850.

As for the rest of your answer: awesome, thanks for the info! I will, however, wait for a few more answers, maybe someone has a different opinion :) 
May 21, 2012 10:17:47 AM

donsrbin said:
1. What about gtx 660? I have a feeling it will be better than the 7850.

As for the rest of your answer: awesome, thanks for the info! I will, however, wait for a few more answers, maybe someone has a different opinion :) 

Well if I were you, I would wait for gtx 660 . So far this year we have seen that AMD products have been great but Nvidia products have been flat out awesome. I think gtx 660 will be worth the wait. I f you are in a hurry to play games, you wont have regrets buying a 7850 though as it is an awesome GPU for its price.
It is your choice though.
BTW congrats on your first post.
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 11:26:33 AM

1. wait for 660,else 7850 if not PhysX crazy
2. I don't see any significant bottleneck
3. No problemo.
4. 600W-700W from brands like coolermaster,corsair,antec,etc.
5. same suggestion as given by ammu_10

Quote:
I like Nvidia, because I was always using it, but AMD has more VRAM

VRAM does not have significant difference on performance. It just needs to be just more than the amount required by the application.
The performance is affected by the no. of cores,architecture,etc. Even the clock speeds do little performance difference.

Quote:
AMD has better benchmarks

You put it wrong. AMD has better pricing.
May 21, 2012 1:25:56 PM

ammu_10 said:
Well if I were you, I would wait for gtx 660 . So far this year we have seen that AMD products have been great but Nvidia products have been flat out awesome. I think gtx 660 will be worth the wait. I f you are in a hurry to play games, you wont have regrets buying a 7850 though as it is an awesome GPU for its price.
It is your choice though.
BTW congrats on your first post.

Ah, thank you, first time is always the hardest :D 

But, there is a slight problem with the gtx660. You see, the release date, the graphics performance, and it's price is a complete mystery, because Nvidia doesn't want to reveal any information on the card that is not yet released. I don't like going into something completely blind.

Yes, it has the potential to beat the 570 and perhaps the 580, but it might as well take a year for them to release it. I've tried to Google the information about the card, but I've found nothing specific what so ever.
May 21, 2012 1:26:42 PM

chimera201 said:
1. wait for 660,else 7850 if not PhysX crazy
2. I don't see any significant bottleneck
3. No problemo.
4. 600W-700W from brands like coolermaster,corsair,antec,etc.
5. same suggestion as given by ammu_10

Quote:
I like Nvidia, because I was always using it, but AMD has more VRAM

VRAM does not have significant difference on performance. It just needs to be just more than the amount required by the application.
The performance is affected by the no. of cores,architecture,etc. Even the clock speeds do little performance difference.

Quote:
AMD has better benchmarks

You put it wrong. AMD has better pricing.

Thank you :) 
May 21, 2012 3:00:41 PM

donsrbin said:
Ah, thank you, first time is always the hardest :D 

But, there is a slight problem with the gtx660. You see, the release date, the graphics performance, and it's price is a complete mystery, because Nvidia doesn't want to reveal any information on the card that is not yet released. I don't like going into something completely blind.

Yes, it has the potential to beat the 570 and perhaps the 580, but it might as well take a year for them to release it. I've tried to Google the information about the card, but I've found nothing specific what so ever.

No one knows when it will release. Maybe tomorrow you could see it has launched or it could be an endless wait. If you dont want to wait then go for the 7850. Trust me, you wont regret it.
May 21, 2012 5:27:42 PM

ammu_10 said:
No one knows when it will release. Maybe tomorrow you could see it has launched or it could be an endless wait. If you dont want to wait then go for the 7850. Trust me, you wont regret it.

Looks like I'm going with the saphire 7850 oc'd: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

I just need one more thing: Is 750W PSU enough to power it? (now, as well as later, with an i7) This is what I have in mind: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6643
May 22, 2012 5:37:06 AM

donsrbin said:
Looks like I'm going with the saphire 7850 oc'd: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...

I just need one more thing: Is 750W PSU enough to power it? (now, as well as later, with an i7) This is what I have in mind: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6643

A 750W PSU will be enough but as i told you i am not a PSU Expert. I am satisfied with my Corsair PSU and Antec is a good brand as well. Cooler master makes great coolers but i dont know about their PSU . You should read some PSU reviews here-
hardwaresecrets.com or
jonnyguru.com

They do great reviews.

Sapphire is a good brand for GPUs but my experience with them has not been great. Actually it was more of my fault that my 6770 is dead now. So i think you should go with it. I have heard good things about ASUS , MSI , and XFX as well.

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 5:50:51 AM

Quote:
This is what I have in mind: http://www.coolermaster.com/produc [...] ct_id=6643

Great choice. But u only need 750W if u r surely interested in overclocking anything. Else just stick with 600w-700w range. The same coolermaster GX series.
I have a coolermaster 650W eXtreme series PSU and it works great.

One thing to note it is SLI ready and not CF ready. But u r not interested in multi GPUs anyway.

Edit: I'm also not sure about the sapphire model. u should check other manufacturers models and also check prices for selection.
May 22, 2012 7:34:40 AM

ammu_10 said:
A 750W PSU will be enough but as i told you i am not a PSU Expert. I am satisfied with my Corsair PSU and Antec is a good brand as well. Cooler master makes great coolers but i dont know about their PSU . You should read some PSU reviews here-
hardwaresecrets.com or
jonnyguru.com

They do great reviews.

Sapphire is a good brand for GPUs but my experience with them has not been great. Actually it was more of my fault that my 6770 is dead now. So i think you should go with it. I have heard good things about ASUS , MSI , and XFX as well.

All right. Thanks :) 

chimera201 said:
Quote:
This is what I have in mind: http://www.coolermaster.com/produc [...] ct_id=6643

Great choice. But u only need 750W if u r surely interested in overclocking anything. Else just stick with 600w-700w range. The same coolermaster GX series.
I have a coolermaster 650W eXtreme series PSU and it works great.

One thing to note it is SLI ready and not CF ready. But u r not interested in multi GPUs anyway.

Edit: I'm also not sure about the sapphire model. u should check other manufacturers models and also check prices for selection.

You are kidding me, right? How can it be ready for SLI but not for CF? wow, they really made it so complicated XD

As for PSU power, GX650 is like ~$10 cheaper, so I won't get much by buying it instead of 750W, so I think I'll stick to the 750W. You never know when you might need that extra 100W :) 

ASUS is around $80 more than the sapphire in here, and there is no third solution, so I might wait a bit for the price to drop, or for the third solution to appear...
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 7:55:01 AM

I forgot the word certification. The PSU is certified for SLI. It should also probably work for CF but no guarantee.
May 22, 2012 8:00:12 AM

chimera201 said:
I forgot the word certification. The PSU is certified for SLI. It should also probably work for CF but no guarantee.

You really scared me back there XD
!