Sign in with
Your question

GPU Fan stopped working. Radeon 6770. Help!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 8:31:06 AM

I am going to give some details. I never overclocked my Gpu.
Once in January it started making a lot of noise. I oiled it and it was quiet.
At the start of this may, my computer just shut off.
I restarted it and started to play NBA 2K12 and the game started to lag. It never lagged before. The computer shut off again.
I restarted it again and when the computer started, i heard a noise in the cpu. I saw that the graphic card frame had fell down and only the PCB remained in the slot.
I found that it was burning hot. It was the hottest this GPU had ever been. I saw that a metal piece joining the frame and pcb had fallen and i suppose its glue had melted due to heat.
Today i used super glue to stick it . It stuck well. I placed The gpu in the slot and i find out that the computer runs but the monitor does not show anything. The fan of the Gpu is not running.
I tried to oil it again but it did not help
Please help me. What should I do. Is the graphic card dead.
It is a sapphire radeon 6770. I bought it last June.
If it is dead, can you suggest a replacement.
I play at 1360x768.
CPU- Intel core 2 duo e7500@2.93ghz
Ram - 2 gb ddr2
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 9:00:18 AM

Hi

So you put oil and super glue on your graphics card and now your wondering if its dead? *Headdesk*

The heatsink should be held on with screws, not glue.

Got a picture of the card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 9:25:16 AM

Wow. Just wow.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 9:31:10 AM

No cooling fan should ever be oiled, ever! If for any reason you believe that the fan is faulty or broken, the fan needs to be replaced asap! I wont even bother commenting on using super glue on the graphics card!!!
Now it sounds like you have killed your graphics card at best! You will need to find a spare or on board graphics (if available) to test it out. If you are lucky there will be no damage caused to the mobo.
m
l
May 21, 2012 10:11:03 AM

You guys may be regulars or addicts but i want to tell you that cooling fans can be oiled. Many people use this method successfully. Check youtube. That method worked for me as well.
As far as superglue is concerned, that particular metal piece is always held by glue. There was no other mechanism. I know where the screws are. You guys should try and unscrew a GPU first and then give me suggestions.
Please don't think i am being rude. I know what i did and i know about it. So i request someone with good knowledge to help me.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 10:20:16 AM

ammu_10 said:
You guys may be regulars or addicts but i want to tell you that cooling fans can be oiled. Many people use this method successfully. Check youtube. That method worked for me as well.
As far as superglue is concerned, that particular metal piece is always held by glue. There was no other mechanism. I know where the screws are. You guys should try and unscrew a GPU first and then give me suggestions.
Please don't think i am being rude. I know what i did and i know about it. So i request someone with good knowledge to help me.

Yup you can oil a cooling fan, however if you do it wrong you run the risk of damaging your card.

I've personally taken apart many graphics cards and have never come across one held together by glue, are you sure it wasn't thermal paste?

This is why I asked for a picture, just trying to help ;) 
m
l
May 21, 2012 10:34:59 AM

Rustyy117 said:
Yup you can oil a cooling fan, however if you do it wrong you run the risk of damaging your card.

I've personally taken apart many graphics cards and have never come across one held together by glue, are you sure it wasn't thermal paste?

I will try to give a picture. I dont think oil really damaged it as it worked fine for five months after oiling.
Think thermal paste is applied near the processing unit right?
It really wasn't thermal paste.
Actually even if one takes apart a graphic card, one won't know that it is joint by glue. I didn't know it untill it popped open. Actually the fan had stopped working even before applying super glue. I am 101% sure that piece of metal had no other mechanism to be joint.
Let me explain. When you open the four screws with springs and the pcb is removed. Now this piece was around the sockets on which the screws fit. They had this rubbery thing around them. I know its tough to explain without a pic

But that is history and whats happened has happened. Can you suggest any other graphic card. Right now i am working on on board graphics.
Should i wait for next generation mid range cards (like 7670). I live in India and the prices of graphic cards are around Rs. 2500-3000 higher than U.S.. ($40 - $ 50 ) My budget is Rs. 8000. ($150). Thanks
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 10:49:05 AM

For that kind of money I'd look for a HD6850.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 11:17:43 AM

Rustyy117 said:

I too scoffed at the Superglue idea till I looked at the card.....

That shroud is not screwed on, that's for sure, the heatink is, but I'm not 100% sure how the shroud stays in place.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 11:23:13 AM

Hmmm... well if the shroud is glued in place then re-glueing it shouldn't be a problem unless some glue dripped onto the PCB or in the Fan motor. Interesting
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 12:02:05 PM

Here is the underside of it

You can make out some screws, but he mentions a metal piece, which is most likely this ring

Which isn't far fetched to think it is glued on.

I second the HD6850, but avoid Sapphire and aim for some other AIB. But the 6850 I found in India is R9000

His budget puts alot of cards just out of reach, including the 6850 and 6790, if he is happy with the 6770 performance, I'd say just get another one, or a 7750 which is about the same.

HIS 6770 @ R6905 http://www.theitdepot.com/details-HIS+Radeon+HD6770+Fan...(H677FN1GD)_C45P12589.html

MSI 6770 @ R6630 http://www.theitdepot.com/details-MSI+Radeon+HD6770+1GB...(R6770-MD1GD5)_C45P13240.html

And an Asus 7750 for lol R7750 http://www.theitdepot.com/details-Asus+Radeon+HD7750+1G...(HD7750-1GD5-V2)_C45P14400.html
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:52:26 PM

Thanks McKay for posting the pics.
In the Pic of the underside of the GPU you can see that square piece of copper. Around it is that metal piece which has sockets for the screws on it. That was the piece i was talking about and it was glued on. Thanks for posting the pics and giving recommendations.
I always thought that Sapphire was a good brand but this experience changed it all.
m
l
May 21, 2012 2:54:11 PM

I want to know whether the old 8800gt is good enough for 1360x768. It is available quite cheap here.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 3:14:20 PM

The 8800GT will still handle games like Call of Duty absolutely fine at that resolution, just don't expect it to max out more demanding games like battlefield 3

I don't know whether or not its important to you but it doesn't have DX11 support.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 4:57:37 PM

If you bought is last June, does it have at least a 1 year warranty? It could still be on warranty.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 5:00:17 PM

bkoop said:
If you bought is last June, does it have at least a 1 year warranty? It could still be on warranty.

I doubt the warranty would cover oiling the fan or applying glue to any part of the card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 5:13:44 PM

ammu_10 said:
Thanks McKay for posting the pics.
In the Pic of the underside of the GPU you can see that square piece of copper. Around it is that metal piece which has sockets for the screws on it. That was the piece i was talking about and it was glued on. Thanks for posting the pics and giving recommendations.
I always thought that Sapphire was a good brand but this experience changed it all.

Your welcome, and as omgitzfatal says, the 8800GT will handle older games just fine, but not the newer ones like Battlefield 3.

Is that piece in this picture?

m
l
May 22, 2012 5:44:46 AM

Rustyy117 said:
The 8800GT will still handle games like Call of Duty absolutely fine at that resolution, just don't expect it to max out more demanding games like battlefield 3

I don't know whether or not its important to you but it doesn't have DX11 support.

DX11 doesn't matter to me . All i want to do is to max out Assassin's creed 3 and Max payne 3 when they come. I think it is capable enough to do that and is available pretty cheap (Rs 3500). Otherwise there is the 9800 gtx+ and radeon 4850 available for Rs. 4000 . Actually my budget is a bitt stripped off and all i have is Rs. 5000. Radeon 6670 ddr3 is for rs 5000. I dont think these things can mach th power of old gen high end cards. Oh and yes GTX 285 is for rs 8000.
m
l
May 22, 2012 8:39:04 AM

how about 9800 gtx+ or 4850 (rs 4000)
radeon 4870 (rs 5000)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 8:50:26 AM

Those cards are 5 and 6 years old. But if you feel they are better then current gen low end cards, have at it.
m
l
May 22, 2012 10:59:32 AM

Well is 6670 gddr5 good enough
m
l
!