Sign in with
Your question

900$ Budget Gaming Computer

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2012 6:23:35 AM

Hello, thanks for all the help on my previous build!

Today I want to help my friend build a budget computer for about $900.

Here is the link to the wishlist on Newegg: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

Any suggestions? I'm not too sure if the CPU and the MoBo are compatible.

Edit: He needs a monitor, a mouse, and a keyboard, so that's included in the build.
July 14, 2012 7:43:19 AM

ok ummm sure you want amd?

an i5 3550, ga h77 motherboard and antec neo eco 520w power will work out 50 ish bux more but be a better gaming machine
Related resources
July 14, 2012 9:55:13 PM

skaggy said:
ok ummm sure you want amd?

an i5 3550, ga h77 motherboard and antec neo eco 520w power will work out 50 ish bux more but be a better gaming machine

I'll easily second this - and for $900 you can get a way better GPU than that 550TI.

Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($95.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Acer V203HLBJbd 60Hz 20.0" Monitor ($112.99 @ eCost)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($98.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $868.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Add whatever keyboard and mouse you want and you're good to go.
July 14, 2012 9:56:36 PM

Wasn't it you that said it is better to buy from one or two places?
July 14, 2012 10:04:51 PM

Its always nice to check out different places.

One note on the 3450 g-unit put up, that is an Instore only price, meaning, unless you live near a MicroCenter store, you're going to have to pay about $50 more for one at newegg or tigerdirect. MicroCenter is making a colossally bad business mistake trying to prop up their brick and mortar stores rather than building up their online order infrastructure, by selling CPUs exclusively in store, but I digress.
July 14, 2012 10:05:57 PM

azeem40 said:
Wasn't it you that said it is better to buy from one or two places?

Yeah but there's always exceptions - I clicked on the "list from one store" button and the build was way over $900 - that wouldn't have worked for this setup. On sub-$1K budgets you always want to get the most bang for your buck possible.

Quote:
One note on the 3450 g-unit put up, that is an Instore only price, meaning, unless you live near a MicroCenter store, you're going to have to pay about $50 more for one at newegg or tigerdirect. MicroCenter is making a colossally bad business mistake trying to prop up their brick and mortar stores rather than building up their online order infrastructure, by selling CPUs exclusively in store, but I digress.

That's probably how they can get away with selling their CPUs so cheap - I'm surprised Intel hasn't said anything to Microcenter about it.
July 14, 2012 10:09:25 PM

Why would Intel have anything against selling their CPUs for that low?
July 14, 2012 10:12:00 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah but there's always exceptions - I clicked on the "list from one store" button and the build was way over $900 - that wouldn't have worked for this setup. On sub-$1K budgets you always want to get the most bang for your buck possible.

Quote:

That's probably how they can get away with selling their CPUs so cheap - I'm surprised Intel hasn't said anything to Microcenter about it.

I doubt Intel cares that much. I can guarantee you with the stiff upper lip Intel has, they're not cutting MicroCenter an exclusive break on the wholesale price, they're subsidizing them and selling em at no profit or a loss. MicroCenter has a horrid reputation of customer service for online orders, so I expect them to go the way of Borders and Circuit City soon enough. . If you live near a MicroCenter, take advantage while you can for sure.
July 14, 2012 10:18:03 PM

nekulturny said:
I doubt Intel cares that much. I can guarantee you with the stiff upper lip Intel has, they're not cutting MicroCenter an exclusive break on the wholesale price, they're subsidizing them and selling em at no profit or a loss. MicroCenter has a horrid reputation of customer service for online orders, so I expect them to go the way of Borders and Circuit City soon enough. . If you live near a MicroCenter, take advantage while you can for sure.

I can't imagine they can get away with selling their CPUs that much, although customer service does matter. I think that's why I can't stand Fry's - their stores have so many products and getting customer service there is like pulling teeth almost. They probably don't pay vendor distribution enough - or they don't pay their online vendors at all - and that's how they can get away with it.
July 14, 2012 11:21:34 PM

G-Unit your pricing is if Microcenter is near him however. Also OP did say he needed the keyboard.
July 15, 2012 1:02:41 AM

g-unit1111 said:
I can't imagine they can get away with selling their CPUs that much, although customer service does matter. I think that's why I can't stand Fry's - their stores have so many products and getting customer service there is like pulling teeth almost. They probably don't pay vendor distribution enough - or they don't pay their online vendors at all - and that's how they can get away with it.

Well, the problem is with Brick and Mortar stores for stuff like computer parts, I mean lets face it. Its not like they're selling clothing where you want to go in and try it out before you buy it. People are going to either buy any old thing they think is good, or is a little more knowledgeable and is going to look at benchmarks and whatnot online, and then order it. Maybe you get a few youngin's who don't know a lot who want to talk to a "consultant", but few and far between I suspect these days. Its just not a good business to try to stay in. Even if the economy is good, computers and computer parts aren't really a "try before you buy" product. They try to keep those stores open, its just not going to work in this economy and the market they're in. People aren't buying computers as much. The problem with MicroCenter online is their prices seem low on their website, but they tack on shipping and sales tax and more often than not it it ends up no cheaper than TigerDirect or Newegg. Then you throw in their reputation, (slow shipping, high hold times on the phone, rude customer service) and they're just screwed.

I don't know how MicroCenter's logistics is set up, whether or not they have their own distribution center or what, but whatever they have, it ain't good. I guess hats off to them for keeping their stores open, because it does keep people employed, since a direct-to-customer style distribution staffed with about the same amount of people it takes for one store could probably handle their entire line of business. If you've ever worked in a distribution center, its insane the amount of volume 100 employees can take on in an 8 hour shift. But in the long run its going to put them under keepin them stores going..
April 24, 2013 9:45:37 AM

AMD system has Tahiti LE in order to give nice gameplay, ips monitor - a very nice screen, a cherry MX blue backlit keyboard for comfortable gaming experience.

Intel System - it costs 28 more than it should but you take a keyboard that is around 40$ and then you're at 900$

I hope this helps
!