Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming and 3D Designer for my friend

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 14, 2012 6:52:52 AM
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 7:17:20 AM

that mobo wont suit that cpu for one

wouldnt bother with over the top motherboards stick with an ASUS pro series board (Z77 pro etc)

memory for a solid build that will last avoid corsair go with Kingston hell even there entry level standard stuff is great and solid reliability

also dont go with those silly after market crap design gpu card/coolers get something with a reference cooler if you want it to last

quadro card? do you actually need it? or know what it is/does?
July 14, 2012 7:55:55 AM

ok really confused as to what you wish to do, 3770k means video photo work and overclocking..

motherboard means you are kinda new (an have money to burn)

2 coolers? ummm not with an i7

power supply means u are using sli / xfire

2 grand budget an throwing it in a poorly aired case, look at haf's not a spretty but if you want a beast your gonna need airflow
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 8:35:00 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£256.48 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.79 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 WS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£250.99 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£88.99 @ Dabs)
OS and Applications
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£147.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Scratch Dick to avoid rendering bottlenecking (if this rig is for photo editing only then drop this!)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£86.66 @ Amazon UK)
Storage, storage and storage.
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£124.40 @ Ebuyer)
Best Video card to use with supported CUDA
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card (£191.48 @ Scan.co.uk)
Airflow . .? . .?
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case (£99.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
More than enough juice . . . even for SLI later.
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Ok, maybe a little overboard but for connectivity for media.
Optical Drive: Sony BD-5750H Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£61.82 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: Hannspree HZ281HPB 27.5" Monitor (£201.24 @ Ebuyer)
If one is good, two is better for multitasking!
Monitor: Hannspree HZ281HPB 27.5" Monitor (£201.24 @ Ebuyer)
Need this?
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£71.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1944.42
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 8:43:04 AM

much more gaming oriented:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£256.48 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.79 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£151.97 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£88.99 @ Dabs)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£85.88 @ Amazon UK)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£147.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£350.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£350.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case (£99.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Hannspree HZ281HPB 27.5" Monitor (£201.24 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£71.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1967.66
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
July 14, 2012 8:57:45 AM

apache_lives said:
that mobo wont suit that cpu for one

wouldnt bother with over the top motherboards stick with an ASUS pro series board (Z77 pro etc)

memory for a solid build that will last avoid corsair go with Kingston hell even there entry level standard stuff is great and solid reliability

also dont go with those silly after market crap design gpu card/coolers get something with a reference cooler if you want it to last

quadro card? do you actually need it? or know what it is/does?


I don't know what you meant, sorry. FYI: Quadro card for his 3D Designing, am I wrong?

skaggy said:
ok really confused as to what you wish to do, 3770k means video photo work and overclocking..

motherboard means you are kinda new (an have money to burn)

2 coolers? ummm not with an i7

power supply means u are using sli / xfire

2 grand budget an throwing it in a poorly aired case, look at haf's not a spretty but if you want a beast your gonna need airflow


I don't know what you meant, sorry.
July 14, 2012 8:59:03 AM

Anonymous said:
much more gaming oriented:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£256.48 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.79 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£151.97 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£88.99 @ Dabs)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£85.88 @ Amazon UK)
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£147.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£350.99 @ Dabs)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) (£350.99 @ Dabs)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case (£99.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Hannspree HZ281HPB 27.5" Monitor (£201.24 @ Ebuyer)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£71.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1967.66
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)


Anonymous said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£256.48 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£56.79 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77 WS ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£250.99 @ Dabs)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£88.99 @ Dabs)
OS and Applications
Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£147.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Scratch Dick to avoid rendering bottlenecking (if this rig is for photo editing only then drop this!)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£86.66 @ Amazon UK)
Storage, storage and storage.
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£124.40 @ Ebuyer)
Best Video card to use with supported CUDA
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 1.25GB Video Card (£191.48 @ Scan.co.uk)
Airflow . .? . .?
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case (£99.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
More than enough juice . . . even for SLI later.
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£92.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Sony DDU1681S-0B DVD/CD Drive (£11.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
Ok, maybe a little overboard but for connectivity for media.
Optical Drive: Sony BD-5750H Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (£61.82 @ CCL Computers)
Monitor: Hannspree HZ281HPB 27.5" Monitor (£201.24 @ Ebuyer)
If one is good, two is better for multitasking!
Monitor: Hannspree HZ281HPB 27.5" Monitor (£201.24 @ Ebuyer)
Need this?
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£71.94 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1944.42
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)


Err, he doesn't need monitors.
July 14, 2012 9:18:31 AM

ok i7 3770k need an 1155 socket board ( u were trying to fit a square processor through a round hole) (fine for rendering) if not overclocking a 3770 and h77 board (could go z77 as it looks like you have the cash to buy stuff you dont really need an may give you minimal improvement)... if overclocking a 3770k and a z77 board.. 16gb of ram... get a kick arse gtx graphics card over a radeon... an i7 is hyper threading multi cored but only 1 actual processor per motherboard so you do not need 2 cpu coolers

sli/xfire means using more than one graphics card in the machine an joining them

this is unless hes in the movie business but if thats the case doubt you would be here as they require a whole different kettle of fish...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 9:56:38 AM

kelvin08113 said:
Err, he doesn't need monitors.

well then don't buy them. you do not have spend all the money for a good system.

you're not giving anything to work with:
Quote:
I don't know what you meant, sorry. FYI: Quadro card for his 3D Designing, am I wrong?
I don't know what you meant, sorry.

what do you know?
July 14, 2012 9:59:29 AM

skaggy said:
ok i7 3770k need an 1155 socket board ( u were trying to fit a square processor through a round hole) (fine for rendering) if not overclocking a 3770 and h77 board (could go z77 as it looks like you have the cash to buy stuff you dont really need an may give you minimal improvement)... if overclocking a 3770k and a z77 board.. 16gb of ram... get a kick arse gtx graphics card over a radeon... an i7 is hyper threading multi cored but only 1 actual processor per motherboard so you do not need 2 cpu coolers

sli/xfire means using more than one graphics card in the machine an joining them

this is unless hes in the movie business but if thats the case doubt you would be here as they require a whole different kettle of fish...


Actually, he do gaming and 3D designing so he needs 2 graphics (GeForce + Quadro) so he need SLI. (Correct this if I'm wrong)

Latest:
CPU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Generation-i7-3770K-3-50G...
MOBO: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Motherboard-Bluetooth-Cros...
RAM: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML16GX3M4A1600C9-Venge...
HDD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006GAK6EI/ref=pd_lp...
SSD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CSSD-F120GB3-BK-Force-S...
GPUs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GTX580-1536MB-384-Bit-Gr... http://www.amazon.co.uk/PNY-Graphics-adapter-Interface-...
DVD: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Multi...
PSU: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMPSU-850TXV2UK-Enthusi...
CPU Cooler : http://www.amazon.co.uk/COOLER-MASTER-RR-212E-16PK-R1-C...
Case: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coolermaster-Storm-Enforcer-Tow...

Total: £1995.94 ($3106.88)
July 14, 2012 10:00:48 AM

Anonymous said:
well then don't buy them.

you do not have spend all the money for a good system.


Well, he games and designs 3D and I think he need GeForce and Quadro.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:04:15 AM

kelvin08113 said:
Well, he games and designs 3D and I think he need GeForce and Quadro.

you can't use both.
July 14, 2012 10:05:09 AM

Anonymous said:
you can't use both.


Although with SLI?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:07:20 AM

no. you need to SLI geforce cards of the same model. and quadro and geforce use different drivers that would get everything all flonky.
July 14, 2012 10:11:04 AM

Anonymous said:
no. you need to SLI geforce cards of the same model. and quadro and geforce use different drivers that would get everything all flonky.


Then, can he swap them eg. when he was using GeForce, Quadro was disabled and when he was using Quadro, GeForce was disabled?

Edit: Or unplug the cables everytime? LOL!!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:15:48 AM

not so easy. like i said installing the drivers for each card would throw things into a tailspin.

now the cuda cores on a geforce card can help in rending 3D. actually that is the "inexpensive" option many professionals use. but the latest geforce cards, the 6xx series, do not do that as well as the 5xx generation cards.
July 14, 2012 10:16:45 AM

Anonymous said:
well then don't buy them. you do not have spend all the money for a good system.

you're not giving anything to work with:
Quote:
I don't know what you meant, sorry. FYI: Quadro card for his 3D Designing, am I wrong?
I don't know what you meant, sorry.

what do you know?


LOL I'm really sorry I'm a 11-year old Malaysian and the education here is bad, this is the reason my friend migrated to UK.

Anonymous said:
not so easy. like i said installing the drivers for each card would throw things into a tailspin.

now the cuda cores on a geforce card can help in rending 3D. actually that is the "inexpensive" option many professionals use. but the latest geforce cards, the 6xx series, do not do that as well as the 5xx generation cards.


Do you meant that he doesn't need to buy the Quadro and that's all?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:19:17 AM

kelvin08113 said:
LOL I'm really sorry I'm a 11-year old Malaysian and the education here is bad, this is the reason my friend migrated to UK.



Do you meant that he doesn't need to buy the Quadro and that's all?

you type good English for a 11 year old Malaysian, better than most Americans. :p 

if he just rendered 3D quardo would be better but a GTX 570 will work out ok.
July 14, 2012 10:20:05 AM

Anonymous said:
you type good English for a 11 year old Malaysian, better than most Americans. :p 


I don't know it actually.

Edit: Back to the topic, he needs to game and render 3D and this is the problem.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:21:52 AM

kelvin08113 said:
I don't know it actually.

neither do most of us Americans, sadly.
July 14, 2012 10:30:05 AM

Anonymous said:
ok, just use 2 GTX 570s to SLI and that will game good and help render 3D.


Oh, I'm choosing 580 for him but do I need to change it? Btw, should he simply plug the DVI cable into the each of the 4 ports and how to enable the SLI thing, in NVIDIA CP? If he enables the SLI are the 2 cards working even though he does not plug any cable into the another card because he just need 1 monitor.

Edit: Is the case better? If yes I'll choose this for him.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:37:08 AM

kelvin08113 said:
Oh, I'm choosing 580 for him but do I need to change it? Btw, should he simply plug the DVI cable into the each of the 4 ports and how to enable the SLI thing, in NVIDIA CP? If he enables the SLI are the 2 cards working even though he does not plug any cable into the another card because he just need 1 monitor.

Edit: Is the case better? If yes I'll choose this for him.


i looked at the PSU and a 850 will be enough. 580s need a lot of power. you use a "SLI Briidge" to connect the two card inside the computer. then enable it in the nVidia control panel. if you use one or two monitors you connect both to the first card.
July 14, 2012 10:40:00 AM

Anonymous said:
i looked at the PSU and a 850 will be enough. 580s need a lot of power. you use a "SLI Briidge" to connect the two card inside the computer. then enable it in the nVidia control panel. if you use one or two monitors you connect both to the first card.


Yea, used eXtreme Power Supply Calculator results +50W. What is the SLI Briidge? Does it comes with the motherboard? He's using 1 monitor so I'll tell him to connect to the 1st card.
July 14, 2012 10:41:16 AM

Anonymous said:
here are a bunch of articles about cases with reviews and recommendations.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Components,1/Cases,...

take a look through then and see what is suggested and why when you have some time.


It's OK if I take the Coolermaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Chassis because he doesn't care a lot on the casing. :) 
July 14, 2012 10:49:00 AM
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:49:49 AM

kelvin08113 said:
What is the SLI Briidge? Does it comes with the motherboard?


hey, if you don't know what a SLI bridge is how would you know if it comes with the motherboard?
July 14, 2012 10:54:46 AM

Anonymous said:
hey, if you don't know what a SLI bridge is how would you know if it comes with the motherboard?


If I'm not wrong I've saw it in the motherboard website. I really can't remember what is the motherboard because last time I was searching specs to build my 1st Gaming PC.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 14, 2012 10:57:50 AM

uh huh . . :lol: 

to be honest i never bought a high end graphic card to sli nor a motherboard that could have had one.

you may need to get one on amazon to make sure. i am sure you can find it.

btw, that last build looks good but i do not know about a corsair SSD. i think samsung 830 good for reliability and performance.
July 14, 2012 11:02:13 AM

Anonymous said:
uh huh . . :lol: 

to be honest i never bought a high end graphic card to sli nor a motherboard that could have had one.

you may need to get one on amazon to make sure. i am sure you can find it.

btw, that last build looks good but i do not know about a corsair SSD. i think samsung 830 good for reliability and performance.


Couldn't understand, sorry. :( 
July 14, 2012 11:19:37 AM

tell your friend to go into a shop an buy a computer failing that get him to phone ebuyer an they can set him up :) 
July 14, 2012 11:38:33 AM
!