Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can't share printer

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:01:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Windows X Pro SP2, single computer and single USB printer

I want to print from DOS occasionally. I've read that I need to
share the printer and then do a NET USE. So I logged in as
administrator, selected the printer, clicked Sharing, clicked hare
this printer, assigned it a name of Brother, and clicked OK.

Response: "Printer setings could not be saved. Operation could not
be completed."

I suspect I need to enable some system service to support network
operations. If that's true, which one?

And what is the impact on security of doing this? In Windows
Firewall, one of the exceptions (currently unchecked) is "File and
Printer Sharing". Will I need to check this since there won't
actually be anyone outside my computer using this printer; and if I
do then does this also give outsiders access to my files?



--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/

More about : share printer

Anonymous
March 26, 2005 3:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

See Bruce Sanderson's page at:
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

Remember you must be an Administrator to 'install' the printer.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
news:3aliqeF6d1jlrU1@individual.net...
> Windows X Pro SP2, single computer and single USB printer
>
> I want to print from DOS occasionally. I've read that I need to
> share the printer and then do a NET USE. So I logged in as
> administrator, selected the printer, clicked Sharing, clicked hare
> this printer, assigned it a name of Brother, and clicked OK.
>
> Response: "Printer setings could not be saved. Operation could not
> be completed."
>
> I suspect I need to enable some system service to support network
> operations. If that's true, which one?
>
> And what is the impact on security of doing this? In Windows
> Firewall, one of the exceptions (currently unchecked) is "File and
> Printer Sharing". Will I need to check this since there won't
> actually be anyone outside my computer using this printer; and if I
> do then does this also give outsiders access to my files?
>
>
>
> --
>
> Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://OakRoadSystems.com/
>
Anonymous
March 27, 2005 7:44:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:

>"Stan Brown" <the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm> wrote in message
>news:3aliqeF6d1jlrU1@individual.net...
>> Windows X Pro SP2, single computer and single USB printer
>>
>> I want to print from DOS occasionally. I've read that I need to
>> share the printer and then do a NET USE. So I logged in as
>> administrator, selected the printer, clicked Sharing, clicked hare
>> this printer, assigned it a name of Brother, and clicked OK.
>>
>> Response: "Printer setings could not be saved. Operation could not
>> be completed."

>See Bruce Sanderson's page at:
>http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
>
>Remember you must be an Administrator to 'install' the printer.

Thanks for responding, but this didn't help. The printer's already
installed, and as I said I _did_ log on as administrator, but XP
wouldn't let me share the printer.

Please take a look at the error message I reproduced above, which
occurs when I click OK (Bruce's step 5.)

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
!