Sign in with
Your question

NEW BUILD ($2500 Budget) - Any bottlenecks.. (AUSTRALIA)

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2012 9:27:35 AM

Hey guys, first off thanks for all the help in past with any questions i had. Now to business (lol), i am about to do my neck build in the coming weeks and was wondering a few things. This will be for photo editing and gaming, but mostly gaming. My budget is $2500 as stated in the title. I am unsure about a few things, the first being the case.. I was looking at the Cosmos II for future expansion into water-cooling, however that is about 1 year away. In addition, the cosmos II is HUGE!! and am unsure if i want something the size of an elephant lol.. So looked at the D800 but its air cooling is minimal and I'm not water cooling straight away so i am cautious with going with that case. My other option is the HAF X which i do like, but prefer aesthetically the Cosmos II or Corsiar D800. So below are my parts I'm looking at.

BUILD SPECS:

CPU - i7 3930K ($595) http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=1...

MOBO - Asus Rampage IV Extreme ($509) http://www.computeralliance.com.au/parts.aspx?qryPart=1...

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz ($128.50) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

PSU - Corsair AX-1200 ($352) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

CPU COOLER - Corsair H100 ($149.50) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

FANS FOR H100 - 2x Noctua NF-F12-PWM 120mm 1500RPM PWM Fan ($58)

BACK EXHAUST FAN - Noctua NF-P14-FLX 140mm P-Fan ($28.50)

SSD - Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SSD ($129) (may consider kingston hyper x or crucial c400).

Total: $2038 Est. Without case.

Parts I'm bringing over my last build in 2x GTX EVGA 570 HD SC Editions and Soundblaster Fatality sound card. And was wondering with the above parts would i get any bottle necking anywhere in my system, and would it be worth paying a bit more to get 16GB 1866Mhz Dominator Memory ($199) http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i....

I am looking at going Sli 680's or 670's in the next 6 months but i may wait for the 7series as my gtx 570's are good enough now.

Lastly, I know that PSU is way more than enough, the reason for adding it was as i said planing to water-cooling in 6 to 12 months. But if i need to save some money here and there i will drop to a HX1050 ($255).

So give me your opinions and I'm sorry if it seems all over the place, I'm currently at work quickly typing this lol. So thanks in advance for looking at this and helping me out.
July 14, 2012 11:20:47 AM

swap that SSD. it's known to have some problems. get a crucial M4, NOT C400. those are the last generation of SSDs. you can get a 128GB M4 at NCIX.ca for about 125$. http://ncix.com/products/?sku=60445&vpn=CT128M4SSD2&man...

you don't need that extra RAM speed. it wouldn't make a difference real time, but if you really need it then overclock your Vengeance RAM and save a few bucks. it's easy if you don't know how to do it already. just youtube it.

you don't need a 1200W PSU. get the 1050W. especially if you are going to be upgrading to the 600 or 700 series which has/will have more performance while using less power than the last generation. your PSU is just going to end up using less and less power as you upgrade, not more. (yay for technology advancements! :D )

you forgot to list an HDD. i would recommend a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB, more or less depending on how much space you use. i would be fine with a 500GB Caviar Black then just throw in another in Raid 0 if i need the extra storage. Plus, HDD prices are still dropping and they would be cheaper if you bought another WD CB 500GB in the future. just a suggestion though.

i don't understand why you would need a 12 thread intel CPU O.o that CPU will probably be dead long before it's outdated. i would honestly recommend a Z77 board and a 3770K, but i'm sure you have your reasons. i'm just giving you things to think about.

and for the case. i would get the D800 just because of the window. with all the cable management options you could make it look beautiful and i would be able to stare at it all day. i would probably throw in a 12" cathode light too :lol:  http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1680... these lights look great in any case.
m
l
July 14, 2012 11:41:27 AM

i agree get a z77 board and 3770k will do your games as quick as the other chip and your photo editing stuff will have to be optimised damn well to go quicker too, that will save you a good 500 bucks which is a 670. try www.msy.com.au for prices too theyre competitive.
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 3:10:06 PM

if you want the looks of the haf x but without the size, the haf xm will suit your needs

heres what i would get. its slightly over 2000 AUD. has all the features needed. if you would like to SLI, it is fully capable of doing so

http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/c3KG
m
l
July 15, 2012 1:39:09 AM

X79 is overkill on a gaming rig - I'd go with the suggestion of the i7-3770 and Z77.

I also think that PSU is way too much - even a 2 x 670 setup will barely use 750W. You could get a 750W PSU and save a lot of money there.

Also don't waste money on a liquid block like the H100 when strong air fans are always safer and will give you the same results.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($365.00 @ Mwave Australia)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($86.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($269.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.00 @ Scorptec)
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.95 @ Mwave Australia)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($118.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($479.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($125.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($141.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1873.95
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:00:35 AM

Yeah sorry about that guys, i forgot to let you know that ill be bringing over my 3x Caviar Blues and Samsung Blu-ray optical drive. And thank-you for your opinions with regards to the cpu and motherboard.

Is this the is SSD you were talking about? Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series? I can get it for $149

Anyone know what the z77 boards are like in Sli? I am coming from x58 and sli ran great on that. I know the loss of running dual 8x instead of dual 16x is minimal, but that was on the z68 i haven't looked at anything since then.. With regards to z77 motherboard, any news on the release of the Maximus V Formula or extreme yet? and how is the z77 sabertooth like? And i hear the that Maximus V Extreme has just released.. just not in Australia yet.. so when that gets out ill def be going Z77 lol

If i manage to sell my 2 x GTX 570 HD SCs which is hopefully today i should have enough for a 680, maybe a 680 4G :)  How much do 680's in Sli use power wise?

And once again thanks so much for your opinions.
m
l
July 15, 2012 4:32:17 AM

Quote:
Is this the is SSD you were talking about? Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series? I can get it for $149

Yes.

Quote:
Anyone know what the z77 boards are like in Sli? I am coming from x58 and sli ran great on that. I know the loss of running dual 8x instead of dual 16x is minimal, but that was on the z68 i haven't looked at anything since then.. With regards to z77 motherboard, any news on the release of the Maximus V Formula or extreme yet? and how is the z77 sabertooth like? And i hear the that Maximus V Extreme has just released.. just not in Australia yet.. so when that gets out ill def be going Z77 lol

Z77's improved a lot over what Z68 offered - X79 and Z77 both offer PCI Gen 3 so you're not losing anything there. The thing is if you're paying $400 - $500 for a graphics card I can see why you wouldn't want it watered down. I don't know about the Maximus V yet but a similar board that's available now would be the EVGA Z77 FTW but I don't know if that's available in Australia or not.

Quote:
If i manage to sell my 2 x GTX 570 HD SCs which is hopefully today i should have enough for a 680, maybe a 680 4G :)  How much do 680's in Sli use power wise?

They use like 1/2 of what the 580 and 480 did - you can run an SLI setup and not even come close to using 750W.
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:17:10 AM

damn things change fast! last time i did my build was 2 years ago :S Researching a bit around the net, is the performance loss by going dual 8x from dual 16x about 10 - 15 FPS estimate? And i think a 1050W will be more than enough to leave some over clocking room and anything other things i may want to add in the future. I did see it on Newegg, but I'm assuming maybe 1 more month for them to hit Australia.. :( 

Thanks so much so far for all this. If the performance loss of going dual 8x with Sli is minimal ill def be going socket 1155 especially with a Maximus V board :p 
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:23:21 AM

Unless you add a third 680, 1050W is overkill.
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:40:00 AM

ok.. and i think this will be my last question. Seeing that i was to start water cooling, and i haven't done it before. Instead of getting the H100, i was maybe looking at getting a XSPC Raystorm RX360 water cooling kit, or a rx240 depending on case. and then adding to that later.. however i am moving soon to sydney, in about 3 months and was wondering how do water cooling pcs travel.. I'm assuming not very good :S any know anything about how they go being moved? I know that some have suggested go air cooling but i did that on my x58 build and want to try something different now lol, plus i hear ivy runs really hot..

- The water cooling kits are $309 for the 360 rad or $290 for the 240 rad
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:46:14 AM

what they said lol

pccasegear has just started doing custom and premade builds (99 build fee) mwave seem to be having a small crisis atm according to aussie forums lol

maybe look at a samsung 830 or intel 330/520 for ssd they are getting good reviews avoid ocz

if mostly gaming you dont need more than an i5 you sure dont need your build, stick with 1155 sockets an save a fortune with no real performance loss
m
l
July 15, 2012 6:11:25 AM

yeah i have looked at wave and.. i don't know there is something about there sight lol.. i would do a custom build through pccasegear but based it being based in melbourne really sucks lol and shipping would suck too :( 

yeah the previous comments have swung me towards to the 1155 sockets lol ( thanks to everyone ). Im just not sure what the performance lose is with sli 680's or any sli for that matter.
m
l
July 15, 2012 6:34:04 AM

Wadeb said:
ok.. and i think this will be my last question. Seeing that i was to start water cooling, and i haven't done it before. Instead of getting the H100, i was maybe looking at getting a XSPC Raystorm RX360 water cooling kit, or a rx240 depending on case. and then adding to that later.. however i am moving soon to sydney, in about 3 months and was wondering how do water cooling pcs travel.. I'm assuming not very good :S any know anything about how they go being moved? I know that some have suggested go air cooling but i did that on my x58 build and want to try something different now lol, plus i hear ivy runs really hot..

- The water cooling kits are $309 for the 360 rad or $290 for the 240 rad

If it's your first build - I'd wait on the water cooler before you do a bit more research on it. Air fans are, safer, less of a hassle to maintain and won't deteriorate over time.
m
l
July 15, 2012 11:38:02 AM

First off thanks so much guys for your opinions and advice, its much appreciated. Ok so below is my parts list updated:

CPU - i7 3770k ($359) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

MOBO - Asus Maximus V Extreme or Formula (no price yet as not released in Australia, but should be hopefully in a month).

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600Mhz ($128.50) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

PSU - Corsair HX-1050 1050W ATX Modular Power Supply ($255) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

SSD - Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series ($149) http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=2

Now the parts I'm still unsure about :S

CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 ($149.50) OR Noctua NH-D14 PWM CPU Cooler ($86.00)

FANS: 2x Cougar CF-V12HPB Vortex PWM Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing 120mm Black ($44) For the H100.. if i get it.. lol
& 1x Cougar CF-V14HB Vortex Hydro-Dynamic-Bearing 140mm Black ($24) which is a definite exhaust.

Parts i will be caring over are:

3 x WD Caviar Blue 1T SATA III HDDS
2 x EVGA GTX 570 HD SC Editions

Obviously the fans and number of them may change depending on case i choose.. which i am still unsure about :( 

Therefore max total would be: $1,109 without the case and mobo. Mobo wise I'm hoping its not over 450 but i could be wrong with asus.. both boards from reviews are amazing and have just been released on new egg. Case wise I'm still unsure. I am thinking maybe the Corsair 800D because in about 6 months after i move i want to begin WCing and hopefully there will be more 680s out. With the money you guys saved me buy going the z77 (if i still go it which i probably will) & with selling my 570's hopefully get a 680 or a 670 :)  so YIPEE there lol. Also am i right that the the performance loss (Sli Wise) from x79 to z77 is about <5% which from readying was about 10FPS??

And if you guys got any other suggestions on cases let me know? As i said the only reason i considered the 800D because of eventual water cool, but i might just go the cosmos and start my WCing when i do my next build.

Thanks in advance again guys, its very very much appreciated as i said, you pretty much have saved me money :) 

m
l
July 15, 2012 11:41:39 AM

go air first. water cooling can be done later
m
l
July 15, 2012 12:08:20 PM

Thanks fr the fast reply "thebigtroll" Thats what i was thinking, seeing i don't really have the money atm lol.. But was wondering if you think its better to get the D800 now.. (even though it has shocking air cooling ability) or just get something like the HAF X or Cosmos II or even the 600T and use that until i want to WC and get the case for WC then.. thats that part I'm confused about, well more my brain is fighting with itself over.. :S

The 800D would be that bad with a H100 and a reference GPU.. but yeah i have two non reference gpus and there express heat into the case so yeah not sure what to do.. sorry if this is annoying.. its becoming annoying to me lol
m
l
July 15, 2012 12:15:52 PM

just get a good quality case like a corsair 650D. if you would like water cooling options, get a switch 810 but i dont think its avaliable in australia

id suggest you to take my build instead. the maximus 5 will be overkill for your usage and so is the 1050w psu as z77 is only capable of 2way sli

here is the link
http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/c3KG
m
l
July 15, 2012 12:42:49 PM

Thanks thebigtroll, i did look at i earlier and took some points out of it. Im just worried the obsidian series airflow is shocking compared to other while i am air-cooling. Once i WC lol, its means nothing really.. the Obsidian series would be fine. But thanks so much for the advice though, its truly taken :)  i think i will probably go the AX850 or the HX850 as i know that good for Sli and leaves me enough room for over clocking and enough for a H100 as well if i decide to go that direction.
m
l
July 15, 2012 12:50:15 PM

actually, id just pick up a hx750w. it is cheaper and is only 1% from being 80+gold. fully modular power supplies dont have much benefit over semi-modular ones. you dont need 850w
m
l
July 15, 2012 11:31:00 PM

Ok cool, thanks for the tip there. Well i think i got it pretty much sorted now, just waiting for myself to decide what case to get lol :)  do you recon it would be better to run Sli 670s or Sli 680s? there is about 300 buck price difference and i hear the 670 is about 5 fps slower than the 680..
m
l
July 15, 2012 11:42:10 PM

yep get 670 SLI when you need it. the performance increase is not worth 300 dollars
m
l
July 16, 2012 4:02:12 AM

Hey mate. Can I ask a quick question. You mention back there you have SLI gtx 570s and are on an x58 build... which would mean you have something like a i7 950 yeah? What exactly does your current build not max out? You also mentioned your thinking of preparing a system for the next gen GPUs, in which case I'd say you've got nothing to loose by waiting to see what is around hardware wise once they arrive. You'll only save money or get more up to date hardware.

Not trying to be a kill joy, just thinking you could spend a couple of grand here and really be seeing anything much different on screen... unless am I missing something posted so far in this thread (in which case sorry)

If you've got some money to spend, do you have an SSD or have you ever seen a multiple screen display setup. Your current build will kill a 3 screen display setup.
m
l
July 16, 2012 8:34:42 AM

I did have one so your spot on their lol.. however my motherboard 24 pin socket on my rampage III formula shorted out and has melted the 4pin part of the socket of the psu to the 4pin part of the 24 pin socket so yeah... , so i need to get a new psu and new mobo and 1366 mobos are hard to come by in australia :(  so yeah need to do a new build :( .. which totally sucks.. they said it may have been the power supply.. but i did have a storm the week it died that went through my old surge board and still got the compy when our power went out.. but yeah..

so that is why i am looking at a new build.. but i loved my x58 build it was awesome at BF3 and any game..
m
l
July 16, 2012 2:47:53 PM

Oh man that's really bad luck. Does your insurance cover power surge? (I know mine doesn't :(  ) Not sure how you go about proving power surges. I don't think warranty would cover fried parts either. Anyhow you've got some good suggestions listed above. For what it's worth, what I would do for a replacement:

Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 = $189
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
What are the specific features that attract you to Maximus Extreme? It's going to be 1 hell exy board, if it's Asus build quality your looking for, you might get the features you need in the V-Deluxe, or even the V-Pro is pretty comprehensive?

CPU: I would point you at the i5 3570K, but I know you want the i7

RAM: G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAO 8GB
8GB still puts you way infront for a gaming build

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB - your link is good

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W = $159
Fully modular. Silver rating. Plenty of juice if you uprgade to SLI gtx680s... even with a fancy LCS

CPU Cooling: CoolerMaster Hyper 612 = $59
I'm yet to be convinced of any benefit with a liquid cooling system over air. Unless your reason is "it looks really cool" then go for it. OR if you are creating a fully enclosed loop with custom liquid coolers on you GPU setup and CPU.

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
If you go with the 650D, just be sure you're heading for liquid otherwise it's a hot box.
m
l
July 16, 2012 11:10:09 PM

if you are to get a extreme6 board. i would just pick up a gigabyte z77x-ud5h. has more features and is a very good bang for the buck

for the psu, id get a 750w psu. 680s dont use much energy.

for the cooler, get a hyper 212evo. close to the performance of a 612 but the 612 isnt worth the extra 10 bucks for 3 degrees

m
l
July 17, 2012 4:29:56 AM

The Gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h is a nice mobo. Here in Aus it retails for $269 VS $189 for the Asrock extreme 6. Your money I guess...
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:27:19 AM

well if the price difference is too high, just get the extreme6 i guess
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:28:42 PM

Thanks guys for the information there. Never has an Asrock board before. How is there customer service? Had some bad experiences with gigabtye so I'm hesitant to get anything of theirs now. Whats The quantity of Silverstone PSU's like? Only ever had Corsair and never had any troubles? But the price of the Silverstones is very attractive..
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:32:31 PM

asrock was a subsidary of asus. no idea about their customer service

gigabyte doesnt have a very good warranty but all their products have good quality and a good price

corsair is good. silverstone im not too sure but from what i heard, they are very good
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:42:23 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.00 @ PCCaseGear)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($149.95 @ Mwave Australia)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($259.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($65.00 @ Scorptec)
Hard Drive: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($145.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($250.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi XL (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($155.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($179.95 @ Mwave Australia)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Total: $1464.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

pretty kick ass for $1600
Good case, good PSU, great motherboard, great CPU great GPU exc

And dont get an ASrock, just no
Also, the Kingston hyperx 3k is one of the fastest drives on the market.
m
l
July 17, 2012 11:53:04 PM

dude, a regular shinobi fits everything properly. sabertooth is also not worth the money. you are paying for a plastic shell and some extra thermal probes
m
l
July 18, 2012 12:05:35 AM

I agree, I have read many reviews that state the saber tooth is overpriced for what the mother board comes with.. Don't get me wrong it is probably a great board but I'm not a big fan of the thermal armor, I think it kinda a joke. But I don't want to start a war now over that statement I just made I'm sure it works for some people. I think for the case as it will be about 6months to a year before I mange to get around to doing my won custom WCing loop and reading up on it all I might just use my old Haf X case from my x58 build. It's a beast and has awesome airflow. Plus saves me money on a case were I can put else where. I am just reading now on reviews for the UD5 and it's not too bad..
m
l
July 18, 2012 12:44:31 AM

TheBigTroll said:
dude, a regular shinobi fits everything properly. sabertooth is also not worth the money. you are paying for a plastic shell and some extra thermal probes

The only reason why i recommended the XL is because he's thinking about water cooling, and the XL has good support for that.

I also agree that the Sabertooth is a bit overpriced and its just for looks, but that just what I threw in just because of the price, what I would actually recommend is a Gigabyte Z77 UD3H.
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:17:18 AM

if he is watercooling, he should get a nicer case like a switch 810

+1 for the motherboard. im getting one myself
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:20:54 AM

TheBigTroll said:
if he is watercooling, he should get a nicer case like a switch 810

+1 for the motherboard. im getting one myself

Thats what I was thinking, switch 810, but I could find a one in Aussy.
and yeah, I'm thinking of doing a UD3h(Z77)/White switch 810/XFX 750w semi modular/1866 patriot 8GB RAM/1TB WD HDD/6850 rig.
m
l
July 18, 2012 1:26:07 AM

message me. ill help
m
l
!