3570k, 2700k or 3770k?

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I'm sure this has been asked thousands of times, but given the current prices of each, it's really hard to pick. Anyway, I am putting together a new box and these are my 3 choices (balling on a budget). I am upgrading from an old AMD 9950 Black and at this point, I'm sure either of them will be a very noticeable upgrade.

Also, are the temps really that bad on the 3770k? I will be using this machine for mostly c# and web work along with occasional video editing (although, not enough to really spend the extra money if I don't have to) and gaming. Let me know if I'm missing anything and I'll be sure to respond the best way I can. Appreciate the help.

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
If not an a budget the 3770k would be the best because its better with heavy video/audio/photo editing.
The 3570k is considered better for gaming than the 3770k because the extra performance doesnt justify the price.
If you going for both gaming and video editing the 2700k would be the wiser choice.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Thanks for your reply, however I am on a bit of a budget but if its going to save me in the long run, I'd probably rather go with that route. My question is though, since I don't plan to OC right away, what is a decent cheaper cooler to use instead of stock? Also, if I go with the 3570, I will most likely be picking up an SSD (not with the other cpu's, wallet just can't handle it yet). Does this make a difference?

socialfox

Distinguished
A decent cooler would be the Hyper 212 EVO, very cheap in my opinion and offers exceptional performance based on the price you pay for.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

or if really tight on money then this will do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Edit: Also I believe the difference is almost non-existent between the two so the 212+ seems like the route to go. Could add another fan if you want to lower temperatures (2-5 degrees, just a guess there are many factors that can determine the temperature difference).

Edit 2: I believe the SSD will make windows boot faster, give faster read/write times, and load games faster. However don't expect FPS gains in video games, that is determined mostly by CPU and Video card.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Nice, I had that cooler picked out too. Think I am going to go with the 3570k or 3770k. Any suggestions as to which of these two mobos? (Would like to get a hackintosh going, but not totally necessary)

Asrock z77 extreme4: http://microcenter.com/product/387554/Z77_Extreme4_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Gigabyte : http://microcenter.com/product/386359/GA-Z77X-UD5H_LGA_1155_Z77_ATX_Motherboard

(Leaning toward asrock w/ 3770k or 3570k with gigabyte) Still though, how does the 2700k match up against these two in peformance with multitasking while gaming (i do a lot of this, have photoshop open while playing most games besides bf3 and heavier titles)

socialfox

Distinguished
I would not use the Gigabyte board if your not planning on utilizing all its features. Honestly, I like the Extreme 4. A lot of people use it and there are good reviews. I believe both boards will overclock just about the same. Not too sure about the performance of those processors while multitasking and gaming but the 3570k should be able to handle it. I don't own an intel processor yet, been saving up for a 3570k myself you know :lol:

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, the 3570 w/ the asrock extreme4 seems to be a solid choice for what I am trying to do. I guess if the performance of the 3770 is that much better, I can get one later this spring or something, although i would assume the "upgrade" would be minimal? Another question, is this used as a standalone part? Basically, what else is needed to use this cooler? http://www.corsair.com/us/hydro-series-h55-quiet-cpu-cooler.html

socialfox

Distinguished
Nothing else is used to utilize the H55, it is called a closed loop water cooler/all-in-one cooler since everything is already included and pre-installed. However I believe the H55 and the 212 evo perform about the same. That being said the H55 is robbing you of your money, with that money settle with a better air cooler. Generally closed loop water coolers are matched by high end air coolers.

Edit: Also consider this

If the H55 fails your CPU will overheat very quickly, in addition it is more vulnerable to failure since there are quite a few parts on it that operate important functions. On the other hand if the fan fails on the Hyper 212 your temperatures will rise but wont overheat instantly, instead you would notice the overheating when a good amount of load is put on the processor. Essentially the 212 is made up only of a heatsink and fan. Fans are easily replaceable.

Also let's not make the assumption I am an air cooling fan, because I myself run an Antec Kuhler 620 H20 which is equivalent to the Hyper 212 EVO as well, I went that route though because my case could not support the 212 evo.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Yeah, was just curious. Haven't done much research on closed-loop cooling, however, I will probably sticking to air since I wont be doing too much overclocking like most plan to.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
So how well do each of these stand up if I do not plan to overclock very much? (Plan to do so when I can get more money together for better cooling) So far, im thinking 3770k w/ asrock extreme4. Anyone with insight on this?

TRENDING THREADS