Sign in with
Your question

CCC 12.4, Diablo 3, Overclocking, Freezing and Blue screens...oh my!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 12:44:00 PM

Hey TH community!

So i've been running my setup for a few months now with no issues. 2xSapphire 7970 OC 1125/1575. Like everyone else, I was excited about playing D3 when it released. I played the beta and had no issues. After the lengthy download, I jumped online only to find that as soon as I hit the character selection screen, everything froze. My windows notification thingy was saying that a driver had quit working and recovered . . . repeatedly. So, as you do, I jumped on AMDs website and picked up CCC v12.4 (was running 12.3), thinking that they had updates relative to D3. No such luck, in fact, it made things worse!

Even when I wasn't trying to run D3, I was getting BSODs and random freezing. Fresh windows install, reload drivers, etc . . . still the same.

At the end of it all, I shot it down to overclocking in CCC (or any aftermarket overclocking utility for that matter). Using GPU-Z, I noticed that when the cards are idle, under 0% load, it reads 500MHz core clock. When put under load it jumps up to 1125, then the freezing and BSODs begin. I reset and shut off overdrive...bingo! no freezing or BSODs and I can play D3 again. Well fine, some might say, just don't OC. I didn't spend this all this money to put everything under water just to run stock clocks. Besides, there's obviously something wrong and I'd like to get it sorted.

So at the end of it, there's gotta be something wrong with the driver, right? I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and even formatted the HD with a clean windows install and I'm still in the same boat. Can't overclock the cards without problems.

Anyone else having issues with CCC 12.4? (NVidia fan boys, spare me the "switch to Nvidia" nonsense lol)

Additional info that may or may not be pertinent is listed in my signature below.
May 21, 2012 12:50:40 PM

It looks like it's not a stable overclock. Why don't you try lower the clock slightly until it becomes stable?

Have you tried rolling back the drivers to a previous version? Say 2 versions back. From what I can see this isn't a Diablo 3 related issue.
May 21, 2012 12:55:36 PM

1125/1575 is the standard overclock for these cards and they've been running stable for months.

Can't roll back the drivers now . . . I reinstalled windows.

Not saying it's a D3 issue, I'm saying it's a CCC 12.4 issue. The problems didn't start until I began playing D3, and it started as a D3 issue like everyone else had. Random freezes and screen tearing that is all over the battle.net forums, but then I updated drivers and now it's a driver issue.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 1:27:56 PM

When you overclocked did you bump your voltage up at all? I noticed with my Sapphire 7950 OC edition, if I wanted anything above the factory set overclock, I had to bump my voltage or things werent stable. Try bumping your voltage from the factory 1.174 (I believe thats the correct voltage for a stock 7970) up to around 1.2. You'll need the latest version of Sapphires OC'ing software Trixx in order to up the voltage. There is always a slight risk upping the voltage so do it at your own risk but this is most likely why your overclock isnt stable.
May 21, 2012 1:28:30 PM

Can you not go to AMD's website and download archived drivers?

If it is a driver issue then surely other people would be having the same problem, have you googled this issue?
May 21, 2012 1:39:47 PM

D3 does not support sli or xfire ..try running it with one card ...and somewhere on tom's hardware forums said that you need to use 12.3 I believe for D3 not the new ones....
May 21, 2012 1:45:27 PM

AdioKIP said:
When you overclocked did you bump your voltage up at all? I noticed with my Sapphire 7950 OC edition, if I wanted anything above the factory set overclock, I had to bump my voltage or things werent stable. Try bumping your voltage from the factory 1.174 (I believe thats the correct voltage for a stock 7970) up to around 1.2. You'll need the latest version of Sapphires OC'ing software Trixx in order to up the voltage. There is always a slight risk upping the voltage so do it at your own risk but this is most likely why your overclock isnt stable.

Ran for months at stock voltage with stable overclock

graemevermeulen said:
Can you not go to AMD's website and download archived drivers?

If it is a driver issue then surely other people would be having the same problem, have you googled this issue?

Can't find on AMDs website where they keep archived drivers and I've even googled 12.3 drivers and couldn't find anything solid.

rglaredo said:
D3 does not support sli or xfire ..try running it with one card ...and somewhere on tom's hardware forums said that you need to use 12.3 I believe for D3 not the new ones....

Yeah, saw a blue post on the xfire support. seems strange for a 2012 game to not support xfire/sli. wtf blizzard?
I'll have a look around and see if I can't find the 12.3 drivers.

But apart from that, the 12.4 driver still isn't working correctly for me, which is a seperate issue I think.
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 1:47:00 PM

I'm running 12.4 with D3 fine. The game definitely does not need xfire if you're running 7970's. My 7950 running at half speed (Issue with media center being open doesnt allow the card into high performance mode so the clocks stay at 500mhz) is still enough to push the game with an average of 70fps or more with every setting maxed out. When I cut off media center the game hits the frame rate limiter around 143 and just stays there most of the time. D3 is definitely not demanding as far s video cards go.
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 2:00:03 PM

You're welcome, post again and let us know if 12.3 fixes your issue.
May 21, 2012 2:12:41 PM

rglaredo said:

:heink:  ???

I kind of doubt this, since I'm running 7970 Crossfire and D3 runs great with no issues on a clean 12.4 install.

It is crazy overkill, though... my GPU usage is typically about 10-15% per GPU with 60fps vsync.
May 21, 2012 2:22:54 PM

BigMack70 said:
:heink:  ???

I kind of doubt this, since I'm running 7970 Crossfire and D3 runs great with no issues on a clean 12.4 install.

It is crazy overkill, though... my GPU usage is typically about 10-15% per GPU with 60fps vsync.

I can't link the post right now as I'm at work and can't access battle.net, but there was a blue post saying just this. Diablo 3 does not support xfire/sli and performance may be affected. Whatever that means could be different depending on a load of things, but it's been confirmed by blizzard.
May 21, 2012 3:22:41 PM

Well, it does not mean that CF-X flat out doesn't work, because I haven't had one problem with it:

It probably just means there are problems with some setups.
June 3, 2012 7:41:32 AM

SAME issue.

I have just one 7950, and it's just stuck at 500mhz. This only started happening recently.

What's weird is that even when I play a game like League of Legends (not that demanding), it crashes immediately when I load. Some other players have reported the same issue specifically after the last patch which added LOTS of visual enhancements, making the game more demanding.

I have reformatted FOUR times, cleaned all the registries as best as I know how (driver cleaner, CCcleaner, manual deletions throughout my drives), tried multiple driver versions, and NO LUCK WHATSOEVER.

This is getting extremely frustrating and I have nothing else I can try.

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Keep up posted of any news and I'll do the same!
!