Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need opinions on upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 24, 2012 9:20:00 PM

So uhh.. I was thinking of doing a little upgrade soon but my budget is kinda low, so I wanted your opinions on what's best to upgrade, here are my specs:

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
RAM: 4GB
CPU: Dual Core E5700 3.00GHz
GPU: HD 6770

My budget is around 200$ (converted from my own currency) so I could afford to upgrade only one of these components, I believe upgrading my GPU would be useless because I wouldn't notice any improvement due to the bottleneck, since this processor of mine is pretty old, so I was considering upgrading my CPU to, say, Core i3-2120 since I've read some good stuff about it, but these are just my thoughts, so I need more opinions on this, what do you think?

More about : opinions upgrade

November 24, 2012 9:25:29 PM

I am.. Which is kind of a problem, but then again, I'd have to get a new mobo if I'm upgrading to any other CPU as well, right?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 24, 2012 9:26:55 PM

Well you could also consider staying the LGA 775 line of processors, though that may be pricy and selection is a bit limited because it has been replaced.

Consider this motherboard for a i3 3220:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Edit: Care to let us know your country or a online computer store that works for you? I know these newegg links are pretty useless to you if you are not in North America :lol: 
m
0
l
November 24, 2012 9:28:56 PM

Well, you said it, pricy, so getting a new mobo seems like a better option anyway, kind of inevitable :p  is the 3220 better than the 2120 gaming-wise?

Edit: I'm more focused on deciding what to get first, then I'll worry about how to get it, but yeah, I live in Egypt.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 2:59:26 AM

socialfox said:
Well here are some foreign benchmarks (some chinese words) :
http://www.guruht.com/2012/09/core-i3-3220-vs-i3-2120-f...

Shows the i3 3220 is better.

Edit: here are the important comparisons (in my opinion)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-BxvfriSXkZI/UFXXoixK6sI/AAAAA...
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JYcPrXLrdwc/UFXYJOydaKI/AAAAA...
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Sep0A_5FtRo/UFXYLkKjG8I/AAAAA...


Nice, so I'm better off getting the 3220 for gaming?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 5:40:13 AM

Hopefully your operating system isn't an OEM then you will need to buy a new copy of windows 7/8 plus ram. Anyways your cpu is deffinitely needs to be the next upgrade. So just buy a motherboard and wait until you get more money i guess. Can't really do much with $200 as far as buying a motherboard and cpu.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 12:29:29 PM

lancelionroar said:
Nice, so I'm better off getting the 3220 for gaming?


Pretty much, also consider what bobbybamf12 said, you will need to buy new ram (DDR3) and an OS. Ram itself is pretty cheap, you can buy 8gb for around 30 dollars if on sale.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 1:35:18 PM

socialfox said:
Pretty much, also consider what bobbybamf12 said, you will need to buy new ram (DDR3) and an OS. Ram itself is pretty cheap, you can buy 8gb for around 30 dollars if on sale.


I don't get it though, why do I need a new OS and RAM? As far as I know, a new processor only requires a new mobo, but I'm not THAT much of an expert at this so..
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 1:41:49 PM

bobbybamf12 said:
Hopefully your operating system isn't an OEM then you will need to buy a new copy of windows 7/8 plus ram. Anyways your cpu is deffinitely needs to be the next upgrade. So just buy a motherboard and wait until you get more money i guess. Can't really do much with $200 as far as buying a motherboard and cpu.


Thanks, I'll have to expand that budget a bit for the motherboard, but I don't know why I would need new OS and RAM.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 2:39:53 PM

I believe DDR2 ram is used with LGA 775, for LGA 1155 it uses DDR3 ram. DDR2 and DDR3 are different so DDR2 will not fit in a DDR3 slot. If your computer is an OEM one (pre-built by a manufacturer like HP, Dell, IBM etc. ) then the product key for the windows copy is kind of stucj to the computer and only works for that.
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 9:07:29 PM

socialfox said:
I believe DDR2 ram is used with LGA 775, for LGA 1155 it uses DDR3 ram. DDR2 and DDR3 are different so DDR2 will not fit in a DDR3 slot. If your computer is an OEM one (pre-built by a manufacturer like HP, Dell, IBM etc. ) then the product key for the windows copy is kind of stucj to the computer and only works for that.


Nah, I'm already DDR3, checked at crucial.com and with CPU-Z, and I don't believe mine's pre-built either so I'll probably be fine.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 9:09:48 PM

lancelionroar said:
Nah, I'm already DDR3, checked at crucial.com and with CPU-Z, and I don't believe mine's pre-built either so I'll probably be fine.


Well then cross out DDR3 from the list and you still do have the product key from your windows copy right?
m
0
l
November 25, 2012 10:20:33 PM

socialfox said:
Well then cross out DDR3 from the list and you still do have the product key from your windows copy right?


Yeah.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 11:48:17 AM

One last thing, what's your personal opinion on the i3 3220, is it a worthy upgrade from the E5700? How good would it do?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
November 26, 2012 3:45:21 PM

I believe it would be a pretty big change/upgrade. Don't know the exact numbers but it would be a leap in almost everything like gaming and stuff. The i3 is more efficient down to the core.

Take a look at this:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/293/Intel_Core_i3_i3-3...
Share
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2012 4:02:57 PM

go for the CPU like social fox suggested. it's about twice as fast as your E5700.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 5:35:55 PM

Alright, thanks everyone.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 5:36:30 PM

Best answer selected by lancelionroar.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 6:04:16 PM

socialfox said:
Well just got back home, and take a look at this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

The i3 3220 is way above the e5700 in the gaming hierarchy chart. The higher it is the better it is.


I see, looks promising, now I just have to worry about getting it and a mobo to go with it.. Hope that part goes smooth, wish me luck.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2012 6:13:28 PM

Good Luck! :) 
m
0
l
!