Leadtek 8800 Ultra Watercooled coolant?

Zizo47

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Around 5 years ago I built my first PC rig. I was quite new to the game then so I basically had no idea what I was doing. Now, since I had managed to come across a pot of gold, I decided to get myself the best graphics card I could find at the time; which was the Leadtek PX8800 Ultra water cooled.

Here's the problem, it only just hit me now that the coolant would need replacing, problem is, I have no idea how to do it and there's nothing in the documentation. I've also scoured the internet but all of my efforts have been fruitless. Any ideas?

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
To be honest, I've never heard anything about replacing fluid in a liquid cooling system. Take that with a grain of salt though because I've never owned anything liquid cooled. A quick couple googles turned up nothing. Do you really think it needs to be replaced? I sorta don't. But I'd wait for some other people who probably have more experience than me in this area to answer.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Is it a self contained water loop just on the card?

It probably won't need replacing. the reason full loops need to be changed is because of the dust and bacteria that gets in to the liquid.
A self contianed loop should have no entry point for contaminants.

However, it still does run the risk of being contaminated or 'drying up' (when the actual water escapes and you get left with just the glycol gunk)
Is there actually any way to get into it to change the liquid though? If there is, there couldn't be any harm from just replacing it with distilled water. but these kinds of systems aren't usually designed to be drained.

EDIT: also, how much disposable income do you have? You could actually buy a replacement card that will outperform it for a very small sum.

No do not replace the coolant in this as fas as I can tell it is a sealed loop you will damage it most likely. Is it not cooling as well as it used to? where did you get the idea that you needed to do this project?

Thent

The coolant doesn't need replacing, its a sealed loop, where would the water go?

Even if your graphics card got hot enough to turn the coolant into gas it would just condense inside the loop so your still left with the same amount of coolant.

don't worry about it :)

Zizo47

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Thanks. You all make a good point about it being a sealed system. What makes me think twice though is the FAQ on the bottom of this page:

http://www.leadtek.com/eng/support/faq.asp?faqlineid=79

What are your thoughts on that?

P.S. I was about to buy a cheap replacement like a GTX460 or 550ti and that's when the whole water cooling thing hit me.

P.P.S. I've sent Leadtek an email asking about this as well. Lets just hope they reply.

Abyssalx

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
Well here's what I think.

The liquid is most likely fine and will work. Even if it's evaporated somehow, I highly doubt that leadtek or any other manufacturer would fix, replace, or even support a GPU that old. I could be wrong, leadtek could do anything. I really think that it'll work fine though.

Is it getting hot or hotter than normal i know 8800's get hot I remember getting burnt on mine. If it is maxing 80c or so you dont have and issue these cards could take allot of heat. If it is running away to over 100c then yes it doe have and issue and you should really just replace it eith a 460 or 560 which would be nearly 3 times faster.

Thent