Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is this able to overclock?

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 14, 2012 3:01:14 PM

i want to be able to overclock my cpu to maybe 4Ghz if possible.

Antec Three Hundred Midi Case
OCZ 500W ModXStream Pro Power Supply - UK
Acer V223HQVb 21.5 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black (VGA, 1920 x 1080, 20000:1, 5ms, 200 cd/m²)
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
3x Cooler Master 12cm SickleFlow System Fan - Blue
Sapphire 11200-00-20G HD7850 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)

is my PSU enough to run my GPU?

More about : overclock

July 14, 2012 3:03:01 PM

650W is recommended if you want your PSU to keep long. FYI: Your CPU is unocked so just raise the multiplier by 0.5 until it is 4.0Ghz in BIOS.
July 14, 2012 3:03:33 PM

would 600w be enough?
Related resources
July 14, 2012 3:03:33 PM

did you build this system? i seriously want to suggest getting rid of that psu in the build as it is known to fail fast. if you didnt build it yet, give me a budget range and i will build one for you

the psu can handle it for now
July 14, 2012 3:05:25 PM

no i haven't built it yet, £670 is the max i can go:) 
July 14, 2012 3:09:35 PM

billleroy said:
would 600w be enough?

Enough is enough, but if you want to make its life longer than get a better PSU. Get a better PSU also allows you to upgrade your specs anytime you want as you have sufficient power.
July 14, 2012 3:10:28 PM

billleroy said:
no i haven't built it yet, £670 is the max i can go:) 

£750 preferred, to get more detailed specs. :) 
July 14, 2012 3:15:02 PM

i only want to play minecraft, tf2 and some other games in the future on max :p 
July 14, 2012 3:16:54 PM

sorry that it is slightly over 670. 550w is more than enough for the system even when you overclock the CPU. the catch is that you cant add another video card. at full load at stock settings, you will probably pull under 250w with everything attached

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/c3MW
July 14, 2012 3:17:56 PM

billleroy said:
i want to be able to overclock my cpu to maybe 4Ghz if possible.

Antec Three Hundred Midi Case
OCZ 500W ModXStream Pro Power Supply - UK
Acer V223HQVb 21.5 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black (VGA, 1920 x 1080, 20000:1, 5ms, 200 cd/m²)
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
3x Cooler Master 12cm SickleFlow System Fan - Blue
Sapphire 11200-00-20G HD7850 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Gigabyte XKT-1155 Z68AP-D3 Motherboard (Rev 1.0)

is my PSU enough to run my GPU?

You are going to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler that means you have to throw the 14 x 2.5 cm top fan given by the casing?
July 14, 2012 3:18:43 PM

TheBigTroll said:
sorry that it is slightly over 670. 550w is more than enough for the system even when you overclock the CPU. the catch is that you cant add another video card. at full load at stock settings, you will probably pull under 250w with everything attached

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/c3MW

Agree, problems when adding another GPU.
July 14, 2012 3:18:56 PM

the video card can play bf3 at ultra with 50+ fps. easily capable of getting 100+ fps in TF2
July 14, 2012 3:22:00 PM

nice, i don't want to have two GPU's kelvin, troll i changed it around a bit and this is what im thinking,
CIT 550W Gold 12Cm Silent Atx Power Supply
Asus P8Z77-V LK Motherboard (Socket 1155, ATX, Intel Z77, DDR3, 2 x PCI-Express 3.0, USB 3.0)
Fractal Design Core 3000 Series ATX Case - Black Pearl
Acer V223HQVb 21.5 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black (VGA, 1920 x 1080, 20000:1, 5ms, 200 cd/m²)
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CPU Cooler
3x Cooler Master 12cm SickleFlow System Fan - Blue
Sapphire 11200-00-20G HD7850 2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Seagate OEM 500GB Barracuda 3.5 inch 7200.12 Internal Hard Disk Drive (7200RPM, SATA, 16MB Cache)
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit

will the psu be enough?
July 14, 2012 3:33:30 PM

Enough, but please change the brand to prevent some power failures, just add some money. OK, for the casing, it says
■1 front mounted Fractal Design 140mm fan @ 1000rpm included
■1 rear mounted Fractal Design 120mm fan @ 1200rpm included
■1 top mounted Fractal Design 140mm fan @ 1000rpm included
■Additional 4 fan slots available for optional fans; one 120mm in front, one 120mm in bottom,one 120/140mm in top and one 120/140mm in side panel

According to the information above, place the front, rear, top fans included to the place they give. Then, another optional 3 fans you wanted should be placed on the front, the bottom and the side. Your CF 13 should be placed on top. It will be 5 pushes (2 on front, 1 on bottom and 2 on top) and 2 pulls (1 on rear and 1 on side).

Edit: If you can afford, take this PSU: http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx600-v2-80plus-c... If cannot, get this (the performance will be lower): http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=5888 Please change the topic title also if not the mods will treat this topic as a help needed on overclocking and they will move this topic to the overclocking section.
July 14, 2012 6:40:48 PM

just pick up the xfx 550w. made by seasonic and has great xfx warranty. if not, id just get the model that kelvin suggested
July 15, 2012 5:39:13 AM

TheBigTroll said:
just pick up the xfx 550w. made by seasonic and has great xfx warranty. if not, id just get the model that kelvin suggested

What is XFX 550W? Seasonic only have 1 550W PSU: SSP-550RT Active PFC
July 15, 2012 11:44:47 AM

the OEM for the XFX unit is seasonic....

!