No fans, no lights, no boot.

Incompetent

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Hi, everyone. I apologize if this topic has been stressed over and over again, but I hope some of you professionals can help me out with the situation.

This is my first build and I followed some guides on installation, but no luck. When I turn the power button on I get absolutely nothing. No fans, no lights, nothing. My stand-offs are in, the MOBO is on (green light), the PSU is in, video card, sound card, optical drive, hard drives are in, everything for the most part seems to be connected accordingly. My PSU is the fully modular SeaSonic X650. I feel that I may have possibly connected some of the wires in the back in the wrong spot which is the reason it's not booting.

The components are the following:
Asus Z77 Mobo LGA 1155
EVGA Ge 680x video card
Intel i7 3770 Ivy Bridge 3.5Ghz
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Crucial M4 256GB

I know it may not be good, but I don't have any system speakers, so I can't tell you what I hear. I was hoping I could diagnose the issue without them. If I'm missing any information please let me know.

I suppose the question I should start with is if any of you could tell me what exactly goes where in the back of the PSU. What I have so far is... in the M/B section, I put the only two cords that can go in, and then connected the 20/24 pin into the only spot it fits on the MOBO. I figure that's got to be right because the green light turns on when those are connected. I connected the CPU cord in the right spot on the MOBO, but maybe it's not in the right spot on the PSU.

Also, assuming my SATA/Peripherals/PCI isn't connected in the right spot on the PSU, the computer would still boot up at the very least, no?

Sorry if this has been a long chain of blabber, but I'm not sure where to begin. I took on this little experiment to get some hands on knowledge and well.. I was expecting to run into trouble.

Thanks ahead of time, guys.

Incompetent

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I tried that with the same results. I feel the problem might be my CPU wire not being connected to the right port in my PSU.

doomdesire86

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Well i do believe if not even your GPU fans turn on then it would be a problem with the PSU so long as you have the GPU plugged in correctly to the PSU. The motherboard doesnt control the GPU fans at first boot i believe. Im pretty sure as long as the gpu is plugged into the psu the fans should run.

Incompetent

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

I wish it was that simple, haha, and yes, the wall outlet works since the internet is connected to it. I will try to plug it into another wall outlet just to exhaust every option.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Have you connected ......

24 pin MoBo to Mobo ?
8 pin EPS to Mobo ?
CPU Fan cable to CPU header on MoBo ?
SATA Power cable to SATA DVD and HD / SSD ?
Correct cable to on / off switch on case ?
Correct cable to restart switch on case ?
SATA data cables connected from MoBo to DVD / HD / SSD ?
Case fan cables plugged into MoBo headers or Molex ?
Turned on ON / OFF switch on PSU

Personally, never understood the attraction for "fully modular" as no point in having necessary cables modular and all it does is double the amount of possible failure points....so check both cable ends at PSU and component.

Also, the EPS connector is an 8 pin and many MoBos come with a 8 pin socket where 4 of the pins have a plastic cover which must be removed to make the 8 pin connection.

Incompetent

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012

My MoBo only has 4 pins. There are no plastic covers hiding another 4 pins, and the cable that connects from the MoBo has 4 pins which I assume connect to the MoBo and then 8 pins which I connected to the PSU. Everything else you mentioned seems to be in the correct spot. I don't want to second guess myself and start putting things where they don't belong just because it's not booting up. As far as the Sata power and data cables. I have 2 separate ones for my optical/hd/sdd drive because of space limitations. Would that affect it at all? Instead of having just one data and power cable connected to all three devices, I used one data and power cables for my HD/SDD and then a separate data and power cable for my optical drive. Both of them connect to my PSU into my SATA section.

Also, had I known fully modular meant a full PIA, then I would have reconsidered my purchase.

Something that I should also mention. Some of the cords that came with my HD/SDD/Optical drive contained similar cords that had a white 6.0GB sata label on them and a black one that was identical only it didn't have the 6.0 sata label on it. Does that make any difference whatsoever? It might be a silly question. Frankly, I don't have a clue as to what they do either, but I assumed since it fit in then it goes there.

But even if I did everything wrong. At the very least I should get some sort of power indication, no? And then from the Bios I can determine whether or not something isn't working properly.

Incompetent

Honorable
Jul 14, 2012
Guys, just a quick question. Does the 8-pin on the MoBo that reads CPU connect to another 8-pin on the PSU? Or is the 8-pin PSU from the MoBO a 16 pin on the other end that connects to the PSU?

I hope that made sense.

TRENDING THREADS