Sign in with
Your question

Computer rebuild

Last response: in Components
November 24, 2012 11:55:36 PM

In the process of making purchases for rebuild. Bought an i7-2600k and ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 MB. i have a 10 yr old Antec tower case SX-830, and am wondering if it should be replaced? I've done some research and have found no comments on them getting outdated over time. Also wondering who makes the best PSU's as I will need to get a new one.

Thanks in advance!

More about : computer rebuild

a b ) Power supply
November 25, 2012 12:08:20 AM

I would say Seasonic, XFX, Antec, Corsair, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling are some of the most respectable power supply manufacturers.

Here is a tier list for power supplies:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

In addition, I guess you can keep the case but it would not really suit your new build. Now a days computer cases are real affordable and have new features like cable management and tool less installation for certain stuff. In addition I bet your case does not have USB 3.0/2.0 which will slow down USB speeds.

Just a recommendation:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Edit: Just to clarify, the new case should work out fine but you will be lacking some of the modern specs for cases.

Edit 2: Want to post up a picture of the front panel connectors? Forgot about that, hopefully it still is the same compared to modern cases?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 25, 2012 12:12:00 AM

That case could be used, but now most cases have the PSU mounted on the bottom of the case, pulling in cool air from the outside, rather than warm air from inside the case.

New cases also tend to come with larger fan openings that accommodate larger fans that move more air with less noise.

I would get another case since you can get "good" ones for ~$50. My 400R is a nice case that's easy to work with and comes with removable filters for the front and bottom fans..and it was under $100.
m
l
Related resources
November 25, 2012 9:38:12 PM

Z1NONLY said:
That case could be used, but now most cases have the PSU mounted on the bottom of the case, pulling in cool air from the outside, rather than warm air from inside the case.

New cases also tend to come with larger fan openings that accommodate larger fans that move more air with less noise.

I would get another case since you can get "good" ones for ~$50. My 400R is a nice case that's easy to work with and comes with removable filters for the front and bottom fans..and it was under $100.

You didn't say what type of cooling you were using on the 400R. I've decided to get the Corsair H100. I watched a vid for the 500R and it mentioned you could mount it in the top section where 2 fans normally go. Any thoughts about this as it relates to my board. Do you use H2O cooling in your case and if so is there plenty of room. That's my only hesitation of going mid-tower size of not enough space to get everything in there. I like the 500R vs the 400R. Also wondering what they call the new cables that are not like the old ribbon styles. I'd like to get those, so if you could recommend a decent brand that would be awesome too.

Thanks!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
November 25, 2012 9:53:56 PM

I don't do liquid cooling, (4 140mm fans, and 4 120mm's + the CPU cooler) but there is room for a radiator OR 2 fans inside, on the top. (I guess you would have to mount the fans or the radiator externally.

The 500R has a "grill" of sorts that might hide externally mounted fans or a radiator. (there's a lot of room between the top grill and the case.)

The back has more than enough room for a "single" radiator AND single fan.

Those "no ribbon" cables are SATA and motherboards, and many drives that connect to them, tend to come with at least one SATA cable.
m
l
November 29, 2012 4:01:46 AM

I did some more digging and found out the Corsair H100 will mount in the top of the Corsair 500R case, so bought them both along with the Corsair TX750. Newegg TV has a lot of vids showing the various cases inside/outside and after seeing quite a few, realized the 500R has some great features the others don't have at all. Thanks for your thoughts as it was very helpful.

On the SATA cables; who makes those colored ones and where is a good place to buy them online?

Thanks much!
m
l
!