Is my PSU failing?

Zarath

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
Hello,

I recently started having this problem in that whenever I play a graphics intensive game (dishonored, assassins creed, battlefield 3, even minecraft), my PC will power off after a few seconds. For the few seconds when the game is on screen, my PSU makes this odd noise that is like a tick/chirp/sparking noise (kind of hard to describe, if necessary I could probably record it) which becomes slightly more frequent over the seconds until the power off. Minimizing the game can stop the noise/power off, and bringing it back will start it again.

The strangest part to me is that all of my games worked fine until about a week ago when I switched from Windows 7 to 8. After the switch, this problem started. This made me think it was a bad driver at first but I've ruled that out now.
I also checked to see if it was overheating, but that isn't the case.
I am sure it is the PSU making the noise and not the GPU or CPU.
I tried switching power cords to no avail.

When the power off happens the event viewer shows a kernel-power error (41) with details of

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0

Specs:

i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 GHz quadcore
4 GB of ram
Gigabyte H55M-UD2H motherboard
Radeon HD 5770
30 GB SSD (the OS is on this one)
1 TB HDD
Windows 8
PSU is xtremegear 950W

I have been reading about PSU's and I guess the consensus is that Xtremegear is not good quality and can fry systems so I'm a bit worried to keep trying to fiddle around with my machine. I've had all this system for ~2.5 years so it might just be old age, but I'm having a hard time believing that it's a coincidence it happens when switching OS's.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.