Sign in with
Your question

Layout discussion of new build

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2012 4:42:02 PM

Greetings, everyone. I am in the process of planning a new build and I would appreciate feedback.

I am strongly considering the following processor to build my system around...

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K

Does anyone have any pros and cons to offer regarding this processor? I'm not a gamer, but I work with very math-intensive spreadsheets as well as high-resolution graphics and videos (more discussion on the video aspects later when I begin to consider video cards).

Also, I am rethinking the layout this time, as compared to the conventional layout of previous builds. For example, I find that I no longer need an internal DVD/CD reader/burner these days. From my perspective, those have sort of gone the way of floppy discs ever since the storage capacity of flash drives has greatly increased.

I will simply use an external DVD/CD reader/burner when needed; one that is SATA III or USB3 compliant for loading Windows and any other software as needed. Likewise, I will not install an HDD with this build. I plan to install a 512mb SSD and then have two external 2 TB HDDs that are SATA III or USB 3 compliant for data storage and synchronous backup until SSDs completely replace HDDs in scope and price, which should not be much longer. Leaving out the HDD and CD/DVD device should allow me to use a much smaller case and devote more resources to maximize cooling (more discussion on that later when I begin to consider cases and cooling options).

Sorry to drift. This initial portion is mainly intended to discuss the pros and cons of the Intel Core i7-3770K, and any alternatives that you may recommend.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Joseph
July 14, 2012 6:44:03 PM

first of all, what is your budget. id like to build a system for your needs.

the i7 3770k is suitable for video editing and that sort of processes. go ahead and get it
m
l
July 14, 2012 7:22:22 PM

Thanks for the response, BigTroll. I want to remain under $3000 for the entire build. I recently purchased a nice 27-inch HD flatscreen with HDMI, so that won't factor into the price of the build. I prefer to build the system myself rather than having someone else build it. In my experience, that tends to greatly prevent and diminish potential problems along the way.

The next component I am considering is the mainboard. I am strongly considering the ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. The primary negative that I see with the board, which may be unavoidable, is the fact that it includes some SATA II architecture in addition to the SATA III architecture. I do not need or want a mainboard with earlier versions of SATA (or USB) included. Those versions are completely uncessesary for me, because I will never buy any components or devices that use the slower protocols, so why have them at all?

Question: Are there any new and highly-reputable mainboards that (a) exclusively include SATA III and USB 3 architecture, and (b) are compatible with the Intel Core i7-3770K? I realize that I may be asking for the moon, so if the best solution for my needs includes blends of SATA III/II and USB 3/2, so be it.

For personal reasons, the only mainboard manufacturer that I will not consider or buy from is MSI. I prefer Intel or ASUS, but I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2012 8:13:55 PM

no intel motherboard has 0 sata 2 ports. its intel specs and board manufacturers have to include 2 intel sata III and 4 sata II. the odds are that the manufacturers often include some 3rd party sata III ports along with their boards. the odds are that you wont be using more than 2 drives

sabertooth is a gimmick. it doesnt really do much other than asthetics

heres what i would get. as you said you wont be needing hard drives so i am including a nice 256gb SSD. there are no such thing as 512mb SSDs. you also must have the SSD or another internal hard drive or else how will you install the OS

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/c5xQ

m
l
July 14, 2012 8:43:52 PM

TheBigTroll said:
there are no such thing as 512mb SSDs.

Firs of all, thank you for pointing out the Intel spec requirments for SATA II and III and for your other recommended parts.

Regarding the SSD, I meant to post 512 GB (not MB, which was a typo). I am considering this 512GB SSD from OCZ...

OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-512G 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Regarding the PSU, I am strongly considering this one from ANTEC...

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
m
l
July 14, 2012 8:45:57 PM

What is your budget?
m
l
July 14, 2012 8:47:10 PM

azeem40 said:
What is your budget?

I would like to remain below 3K, if possible.
m
l
July 14, 2012 8:50:28 PM

Hell, for 3k you can run a nice 2560x1440 setup or a 5760x1080 TN Panel setup.
m
l
July 14, 2012 8:57:45 PM

do you seriously need that much storage? i cant even use 100gb. just get a nice 256gb SSD and throw all the large files in a hard drive
m
l
!