removing icons from the system tray

This is driving me nuts!

My new PC has an onboard LAN which I am not using since I'm on dialup. It
creates an x'd out icon in the system tray which I want to get rid of.

Here's the hitch . . . When I disable the LAN, the icon goes away but my ISP
does not function correctly even though I'm on dialup and it shouldn't
matter. I even tried disabling the LAN in the BIOS but it still causes my
dialup ISP to fail. Since it is onboard, I cannot physically disconnect it.

Then I tried the 'always hide' option but the icon keeps resurrecting itself
after hibernation or when I try to connect to the internet. When it returns,
it always resets itself to 'hide when inactive'. This icon just will not
stay hidden!!

When I am on the internet, the icon eventually hides itself but
in the meantime it takes up space and is very annoying.

Is it possible to shorten the time before the 'hide when inactive' kicks in?
Where in the registry is it located? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Thanks for your help.
5 answers Last reply
More about removing icons system tray

    Thanks, Rajesh.

    I forgot to mention I did that to. It made no difference in this behavior.
    I have looked at every menu and changed every setting but cannot kill this
    icon and have my ISP function normally.

    Any other ideas?

    "M. Rajesh" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I think you would want to uncheck the feature "Show icon in task bar when connected".
    >
    > You can do this in the settings of your network. This is a per setting for each network configuration that u configure.
    >
    > --
    > Regards
    > M. Rajesh
    > ..Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > www.winxpsolution.com.
    > "saynotogmos" <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E791BF1B-C967-4C08-96AF-99E31C834FFB@microsoft.com...
    > This is driving me nuts!
    >
    > My new PC has an onboard LAN which I am not using since I'm on dialup. It
    > creates an x'd out icon in the system tray which I want to get rid of.
    >
    > Here's the hitch . . . When I disable the LAN, the icon goes away but my ISP
    > does not function correctly even though I'm on dialup and it shouldn't
    > matter. I even tried disabling the LAN in the BIOS but it still causes my
    > dialup ISP to fail. Since it is onboard, I cannot physically disconnect it.
    >
    > Then I tried the 'always hide' option but the icon keeps resurrecting itself
    > after hibernation or when I try to connect to the internet. When it returns,
    > it always resets itself to 'hide when inactive'. This icon just will not
    > stay hidden!!
    >
    > When I am on the internet, the icon eventually hides itself but
    > in the meantime it takes up space and is very annoying.
    >
    > Is it possible to shorten the time before the 'hide when inactive' kicks in?
    > Where in the registry is it located? Any other suggestions are also welcome.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    Fix dialup problems first, otherwise edit registry:
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, value DisableDHCPMediaSense,
    value type: REG_DWORD, data 1. If set to 1, the DHCP client ignores Media
    Sense events from the interface.

    You can install MS Loopback Adapter and disable physical NIC.

    Thanks, Jetro. I went into the registry, found that key but there is no
    value assigned. I have changed values but never created one - mucking around
    in the registry makes me really nervous. Could you please give a little more
    of a tutorial about how to do it?

    In the meantime, I found a little application at Kelly's-korner called PS
    Tray Factory. Since I have set it up, the indestructable icon has not popped
    up once in the sys tray. Unfortunately, this fix will cost me $$$ after the
    trial period so I'd really like to find a way to do it within Windows.

    I cannot physically disable the NIC because it is onboard.

    Thanks again.

    "Jetro" wrote:

    > Fix dialup problems first, otherwise edit registry:
    > HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters, value DisableDHCPMediaSense,
    > value type: REG_DWORD, data 1. If set to 1, the DHCP client ignores Media
    > Sense events from the interface.
    >
    > You can install MS Loopback Adapter and disable physical NIC.

    As the OP says, this only works as long as the network adapter is
    working properly. If it has a "problem", Windows "helpfully" pops up
    the icon so that you can click on it and find out what the problem is!

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 09:58:25 +0530, "M. Rajesh"
    <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I think you would want to uncheck the feature "Show icon in task bar when connected".
    >
    >You can do this in the settings of your network. This is a per setting for each network configuration that u configure.

    Please respond to the Newsgroup, so that others may benefit from the exchange.
    Peter R. Fletcher

    Creating the values is similar to changing them from registry security and
    integrity point of view so go ahead. R-click in the right pane, choose right
    value type and assign name and data. At any time you can edit typos or
    delete new value at all. Windows won't know anything about the new data
    until it would directly query this particular key. It's a good practice
    always backup the keys (export it) before edit if it becomes complicated,
    e.g. when many values should be created in bulk, and import the .reg file
    back in case of mess. It's always worth to document any significant changes.

    Disabling on-board devices in the BIOS has the same effect as "physical
    removal".

Configuration Internet Service Providers Dialup Windows XP