Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Display turns off/computer freezes during gameplay

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 6:34:44 PM

Hello! I've been having issues recently with a new game I started to play (TERA Online). There is an auto-detect section in the game that will adjust settings based on my card, but the game is too slow on those settings. I turned off a setting called natural lighting and that made everything run smoother, although not as pretty as before. After this change I was able to play for long periods of time without incident. Now, whenever I play the first of two things will happen: the screen will freeze and I'll hear a sound loop but the computer will remain on. After I hard reset I can usually play without incident but lately what happens after is after I restart and play for around 30-45 minutes the display will gutter out and my monitor will say no display/input then go black and the monitor will have the idle light on. During this the sound will flicker out with a static sound similar to changing radio stations on an old radio. I don't know much about hardware but I tried my best to rectify the issue but so far it's been getting worse. I updated the drivers, cleaned the card. I use core temp to monitor temperature but I don't if that shows how hot the card is. When I play core temp says something around 110-124 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not sure what the issue is, as it worked fine a few weeks ago, but not anymore. I've listed some of my computer information below.

Computer
Acer Aspire AM3300-U1332 Desktop PC Phenom II X4 810(2.6GHz) 6GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 3200 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/2010/acer/asp...

- Newegg says my computer only has a PCI Express x16, but Acer's support site lists it as 2.0. Though, I'm not sure how I can check on my computer, or if it's the reason for my issues.

Monitor
Acer V223WEJbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ACM 50000:1(1000:1)
I use the DVI input.

PSU
I changed the supplied PSU to this one because the card I bought said it needed a 400W supply or more, and after a little research I thought this eco-friendly one sounded nice.
Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

And this is my card
XFX HD-467X-DDF2 Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Do I need replace my card? I'd really like to play with the natural lightning setting on, it makes the game so much more vibrant. But at this moment, I'd be happy if we could get it to stop crashing. Thanks a lot for any help you can offer :D 

Edit: As I noticed I only experience crashes with online games, I forgot to mention I use this Wireless adapter to access the internet.

D-Link WDA-1320 Wireless G Desktop Adapter IEEE 802.11b/g 32-bit PCI Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates 64/128-bit WEP Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA)
May 21, 2012 6:39:24 PM

Are you sure it shows Fahrenheit and not Celcius? 112 Degrees F is only about 43 Degrees C, and while the 4670 isn't a very hot card that seems pretty low for in-game temps. This sounds like an overheat problem to me. Is TERA the only game it crashes on?

Also, you could easily max out TERA with a newer decently inexpensive card.
m
l
May 21, 2012 6:48:58 PM

Abyssalx said:
Are you sure it shows Fahrenheit and not Celcius? 112 Degrees F is only about 43 Degrees C, and while the 4670 isn't a very hot card that seems pretty low for in-game temps. This sounds like an overheat problem to me. Is TERA the only game it crashes on?

Also, you could easily max out TERA with a newer decently inexpensive card.

Hi, thanks for the response!

Yes I'm sure it's in Fahrenheit, I see the little degree sign and an F :)  Also, I played another, older online game called Granado Espada (which came out in like 2007) and it would freeze during gameplay (just like the first freeze I listed) but very rarely, probably like once a month or something. Never as much as when I play TERA. I also would play emulators like MAME, ePSX, and doujin games and that would never cause my game to freeze.

Is there a card you could suggest?
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 6:58:45 PM

Do you have any way you could test another GPU in your computer to make sure it's that? It seems like it but something seems a little weird about the crashing. Are your drivers up to date also? Catalyst 12.4 is out now, check that.

And sure, what's your budget? Or do you just want the cheapest card that could max it out?
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:26:55 PM

Abyssalx said:
Do you have any way you could test another GPU in your computer to make sure it's that? It seems like it but something seems a little weird about the crashing. Are your drivers up to date also? Catalyst 12.4 is out now, check that.

And sure, what's your budget? Or do you just want the cheapest card that could max it out?

I'm not sure how, like install it on another desktop? If so, no, I don't have another. Yes my drivers are up to date.

My budget is $85-100, but cheaper is better, if possible. I'd like to use max shadows, character pixels, and natural lighting. I don't like anti-aliasing so that's really important to me. I'd also like it not to be slow, so a decent FPS would be super.
m
l

Best solution

May 21, 2012 7:34:47 PM

Okay, this 6770 is $115 but after a mail in rebate is only $89.99.
If you can't spend 115 upfront, there are cards that are cheaper but you won't be able to play max (and even if that's not a problem, I still feel like you should try to get the most bang for your buck)
There is a similar card that is going on sale in the next few minutes so I'll post that when it comes up (about 30 minutes from now)
a c 200 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 7:56:35 PM

before you do that recheck your power supply. that power supply has two 12v legs they only can handle 17amp on each leg. i would email amd or the card vendor to see what the max amps of the card is under load. you could be pulling to much voltage on one leg of the power supply. most gaming power supplys have one large 12v leg.
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:58:34 PM

It's a corsair CX430. It's a good psu, you can crossfire 5770's on it, so one 6770 isn't gonna be a problem.
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:04:48 PM

Abyssalx said:
It's a corsair CX430. It's a good psu, you can crossfire 5770's on it, so one 6770 isn't gonna be a problem.

My PSU isn't a corsair. It's an antec, did you mean to suggest a corsair to me? Also, do post that other deal when it comes up please!

smorizio said:
before you do that recheck your power supply. that power supply has two 12v legs they only can handle 17amp on each leg. i would email amd or the card vendor to see what the max amps of the card is under load. you could be pulling to much voltage on one leg of the power supply. most gaming power supplys have one large 12v leg.

Is there any way I can find this out on XFX's website?
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:07:36 PM

sushihane said:
My PSU isn't a corsair. It's an antec, did you mean to suggest a corsair to me? Also, do post that other deal when it comes up please!

Is there any way I can find this out on XFX's website?

No, I'm just an idiot, I thought you had that for some reason. Even so, Antec is a very good brand, maybe better than corsair. From the reviews, I see GPUs that use more power than that being used and also 5750's in crossfire, which each individually use more power than the 6770 (I think)
m
l
May 21, 2012 8:26:42 PM

Abyssalx said:
No, I'm just an idiot, I thought you had that for some reason. Even so, Antec is a very good brand, maybe better than corsair. From the reviews, I see GPUs that use more power than that being used and also 5750's in crossfire, which each individually use more power than the 6770 (I think)

Ah, okay, no problem. If I get a card that uses more power than I have, won't that stress out my PSU?
m
l
May 21, 2012 9:24:31 PM

If at any point your card tries to draw more power than your power supply can output, your computer would probably just shut off. The 6770 will be fine. I'll cite this thread:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515...

If you search for Antec EA430-D (which is your psu model number) It says up to 6870, which draws much more power than the 6770.
m
l
May 21, 2012 9:33:02 PM

Abyssalx said:
If at any point your card tries to draw more power than your power supply can output, your computer would probably just shut off. The 6770 will be fine. I'll cite this thread:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056515...

If you search for Antec EA430-D (which is your psu model number) It says up to 6870, which draws much more power than the 6770.

Thanks a lot for your help abyssal! I noticed the card you listed went on sale right now, is that the sale you were talking about? Also, I just told my friend who also plays (they like Call of Duty too) but on an HP P6404y http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01... could they use this card too? They want to upgrade as well.

Edit: Also, do you have any personal experience with Gigabyte cards? Is it a preference among others over XFX and so forth?
m
l
May 21, 2012 9:46:47 PM

The same card wouldn't work on that PC, it only has a 300w PSU (and its hp brand, their psu's are... less than perfect)

If he has the extra money, The Corsair CX430 will power it, and it's $25 after Mail In Rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The only issue with that is the case. HP sells computers with smaller form PSU's a lot even though most of their cases support regular ATX psu's. I'm almost certain it will work though, I just put a full size ATX power supply in a much smaller case by HP a couple days ago.

I've never had a Gigabyte card either but, they have a good rep, and personally I'll never buy an XFX product again after my ordeal.

m
l
May 21, 2012 10:07:59 PM

Ah okay, I'll let him know about that deal. He had another HP computer where he changed the PSU and he was able to get it in so I'm sure he's aware of the process.

Yes! I've contacted XFX and no one is responding to me. That 4670 wasn't cheap either and it was never really that good. When I bought it 2 years ago it would still freeze during online play (like the first freeze I talked about) but it was always rarely so I just dealt with it because I'm not very tech savvy :/ 

I'll go dive on that shell shocker deal then, thanks a lot for your time!

Oh another question, when I install that card, do I completely uninstall my previous drivers for the 4670? My friend installed the card for me as well as updated the drivers so I'm not familiar with the process. As I remember, my friend uninstalled the drivers that came with my computer so I only have the one for the graphics card. Do I need those?
m
l
May 21, 2012 10:21:02 PM

Yeah, you gotta fresh install the drivers, they're picky. Just uninstall them, turn off your pc, pop in the new card, turn it back on and install the new ones.

Also, here's a thing. That shell shocker 6770, is a little bit underclocked. That's not even a big deal at all, because AMD GPU drivers have their own overclock feature, and as far as I know, it doesn't void any warranty as long as you use the AMD program with the drivers. (The underclock is small anyway, you might not even care, the card is still such a huge upgrade.)

Basically what happened to me, is I bought a 4850 from XFX a few years ago. It overheated and artifacted even on simple games like League of Legends. So, I got in contact and they were fine. I sent back my old card (they made me pay $15 fedex shipping, ugh) and they sent me a new one. Turns out the new one they sent me was a 4870! Pretty awesome, right? except this one overheated while idling. I never got to use it once until about a year ago I fixed it myself by just messing with the heatsink cause I had nothing left to lose.
m
l
May 21, 2012 10:42:05 PM

Okay, cool. I'll do that when I get it. I always think if I uninstall the drivers I won't see anything, like the screen will go black or something (noob). I'll just notice flickers and a change in resolution?

I don't know much about crossfire or over/underclocking. As long as I can plug it in, update drivers and play TERA on a nice setting, I'm happy :)  Also, as long as my friend can play and do his CoD thing, he's happy too haha.

Ah that's sucks, after I started having problems I heard a lot of horror stories about XFX support. I didn't want to deal with arguing or sending things back so I left it alone since my previous issues were minimal. That's cool you fixed it, you gain some knowledge, maybe I should fiddle with mine after I replace it. I noticed there is some discoloration on my card when I went to clean it the other day. Not too sure if it's a burned, or normal though.
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:00:59 PM

Your resolution might get a little weird but that should be it. Your screen might go black more than a couple times during the uninstall process but once it's done, it should be fine.

Overclocking is simple, there's a slider with a clock speed, and you move it. Haha, at least that's how it is with the AMD Drivers. You don't need to though, it should play TERA and most other games very nicely :) 

Yeah and you never know, you could end up wanting an HTPC someday or something and that old card would work fine for that if it didn't have it's problems.

Glad I could help, any more questions you have, just ask.
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:12:36 PM

Okay, thanks, always nice to know what to expect.

Oh ahah :sweat:  well, as long as I don't need it I wont fiddle. It's also nice to know I upgraded to a card that will last me awhile.

Thank you! I did have one more question about upgrading the drivers, do I have to start windows in safe mode or something?
m
l
May 22, 2012 12:07:14 AM

Nope, just start it up like normal. Windows comes with it's own universal drivers that are always present, but they pretty much work for your desktop and that's about it :p 
m
l
May 22, 2012 1:45:05 AM

Cool. Thank you! I voted your card suggestion as the best answer, if you get points for that. I might come lurking back once my card arrives if I have any issues, fingers crossed.
m
l
May 22, 2012 1:45:20 AM

Best answer selected by sushihane.
m
l
!