Hello, this is what i currently have

i5 2500k OC'd to 4.6
p8z68-v lx
16gig Vengeance ram
GTX 570
Windows 7 ultimate x64
My monitor only lets me do 1440x900
And i play everything on max, but only get like 30-50 fps

How can i get more FPS/performance in the games i play?

Do i need a better Gfx card, or better mobo/cpu?

Solution
I think I would go for the new video card and then save up for a new motherboard so later on if you want to you can get a new MB and another 670.

zellwwf

Honorable
May 3, 2012
mostly a better gpu...
whats the rams speeds ? if ddr3, 1600.. your fine.. very fine.. but yeah again... GPU :)
and oh... what kind of games you play? Games that do alot of I/O transfer will get like at least 2-5 frames with a SSD... and saves you times on loads.
again.. cpu is ok, rams i am not sure.. but definetly you need a new gpu, games like skyrim and battlefield 3, require cutting edge gpus to max out

dudewtf

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Arma2, Bf3, Skyrim, guildwars 2, Things with alot of AA and post processing..

I usualy run smoothly on games.. but with my current setup i am confused why my fps is so low..

Im thinking maybe its my gpu?

Should i buy another GTX 570 and sli, or get a gtx 670?

When you get to and exceed 60 fps then you have the best possable game performance. If your running a game at 65 fps and then run the same game at 95 fps your eyes cannot tell the difference. So that means that you could have two monitors with the same resolution side by side and one have 65 fps and the other 95 fps you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The only benefit that you get from higher frame rates is when there is a lot of action with explosions and a lot of players there will be no freexing or slow down of visuals with the higher fps because if your at 95 and it slows to 65 with all the action you'll get the same performance.
You can add another GTX 570 and run them in SLI and you would then get 60 to 130 fps or more depending on the game.
No nevermind it won't work the MB you have doesn't support SLI. So if you want more fps then you will have to get a GTX 580 , 670 or 680 from the Nvidia side and a 7870 , 7950 or 7970 from the AMD side.

Your motherboard doesn't support SLI.

G

TrAA%201280.png

if you are getting ~20 fps less than that i suspect a gpu upgrade may not be the best resolution to your problem.

what driver are you using?

dudewtf

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

yes it does?

EDIT :

Youre right, Nm, only supports crossfire

Always latest beta

ALSO, i forgot to mention that i have two monitors on the card... if that matters at all..

G

i edited my post. no offense, i suggest you read what performance differences there are before you install any driver. lurking in that forum, you can see who is using what card for the game they are discussing.

fyi, the first 304.xx drivers made phenominal gains for people using the GTX 570 when the driver supposedly was meant for the GTX 680. a beta is a beta. you still do not know what you are getting.

keep an eye on this:
http://www.guru3d.com/
Latest Binaries

when you see a new driver listed go to that page, click on it for the description and there will be a link to the thread for that driver on the forum where people are discussing that driver.

EDIT: when you find a driver that works for you leave it alone, newer is not always better for you.

dudewtf

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

I see, perhaps ill try that then.

Well, what do you suggest then?

Im thinking about buying a new mobo, and then eventually SLI'ing 570's

OR

Upgrading to the 4gig 670 card

However, i figure if i need to buy a new Mobo.. and another GTX 570..

Would be 50-100$ cheaper, or should i just stick with getting the 4gig GTX for 100$ more?

G

last i looked a 670 was ~85% of the performance of a 570 SLI set up but things change.

do you want the best now?
that means a 570 and motherboard.

do you want better now with an upgrade path?
the is a 670 now with another motherboard and 670 for SLI later.

what PSU do you have? less than 750 watts would most likely need a bump up to handle a 570 SLI.
(a quality 650 could do it)

EDIT: good choice!

Not only can your eyes not tell the difference, most computer monitors will not show more than 60FPS anyway. 60hz monitor=60FPS. LOL, I just figured I'd chime in since nobody seems to "get it" when the AMD vs Intel wars always break out. There are 120hz monitors, but the cheapest I've seen is like $400.. and its a waste.

As far as the FPS issues, honestly, the GTX 570 is a powerful card, its got to be a driver issue.