Solved

Will a new CPU improve my system

Tags:
  • Intel i5
  • Components
Last response: in Components
November 25, 2012 3:07:53 AM

Hello,
So I want to upgrade my system, I just want to know if it will make much of a difference
my system:

EVGA gtx 670 FTW
Intel DH55TC motherboard
Intel i5 ( I honestly don't know the exact model, but it's a 3.2 ghz quad core, and it uses the lga 1156 socket )
8gb Kingston Hyperx Blu memory DDR3 1333mhz
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb 7200rpm HDD
Coolmax 650 watt PSU

this is what I want to get:
Asus P8Z77-V motherboard
Intel i5 3570k
Corsair H80i ( so I can overclock the i5 )
Corsair TX750M PSU
Samsung 840 250gb SSD
and add another 8gb of kingston hyperx blu DDR3 1333mhz

I want to know if it's worth it to get these components, and overclock the i5. I play a lot of games like Skyrim, Borderlands 2, and Planetside 2. I feel like the motherboard and CPU don't balance well with my video card, and that it is bottle necking it. I use a single monitor, the Benq XL24020.

More about : cpu improve system

November 25, 2012 4:26:03 AM

When it comes to a bottleneck, you might have them occasionally occur in games that are very CPU intensive. If you can honestly afford it, you should get it. The SSD will noticeably improve loading times. Finally, do not get the H80, it is no better than a good air cooler. Until you have the money to get a custom watercooling kit, use air cooling.
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:04:51 AM

Your existing system isn't that bad, but the WD Blue is killing performance.

Install an 120GB SSD as boot drive and major apps and use the WD for storing the big games, steam etc etc.
m
l
November 25, 2012 7:58:24 AM

As "das_stig" indicated, you current system isn't that bad. Except we don't know what CPU it is. Can't you just go into your System Tab and find out what it is ?

Press and hold down the windows logo key + R on your keyboard or just search for Run Or go to start then select run to open the Run dialog box.

When the Run box is opened type in MSINFO32 and click ok. That takes you system information. First on the list is System Summary
m
l
November 25, 2012 8:16:20 AM

Will a new CPU improve my system? of course will improve, your system everything is fine, but SSD willmake it better :) 
m
l
November 25, 2012 8:30:18 AM

OX-49 said:
Will a new CPU improve my system? of course will improve, your system everything is fine, but SSD willmake it better :) 

just overclock the cpu you have its not that bad, a ssd will improve boot, load, resume etc etc big time but i dont notice a big dif in games although now i have one i wont go back, and also you have enough ram for gaming 8gb is more than i need. gaming bottle necks in your system will come from the gpu if you overclock your cpu which im assuming is a 750
m
l
November 25, 2012 5:00:25 PM

Nedal0 said:
As "das_stig" indicated, you current system isn't that bad. Except we don't know what CPU it is. Can't you just go into your System Tab and find out what it is ?

Press and hold down the windows logo key + R on your keyboard or just search for Run Or go to start then select run to open the Run dialog box.

When the Run box is opened type in MSINFO32 and click ok. That takes you system information. First on the list is System Summary

I have an i5 650
m
l
November 25, 2012 5:52:39 PM

jasont78 said:
just overclock the cpu you have its not that bad, a ssd will improve boot, load, resume etc etc big time but i dont notice a big dif in games although now i have one i wont go back, and also you have enough ram for gaming 8gb is more than i need. gaming bottle necks in your system will come from the gpu if you overclock your cpu which im assuming is a 750

yes you are right overclocking your CPU will get extra performance but decrese living age!
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:02:09 PM

Nedal0 said:

Also my motherboard only has Sata 3gb /s
is it worth it to only bey an SSD?
m
l

Best solution

November 26, 2012 4:20:33 AM

OX-49 said:
yes you are right overclocking your CPU will get extra performance but decrese living age!

yeah it will decrease its age if you overvolt the living shiit out of it and dont cool it properly, if done properly it shouldnt change a thing and will easily outlast the rest of your components. i have overclocked every cpu in my gaming computer since we were still running 300mhz single core processors (yes a very long time celeron 300a @ 450mhz) and the vast majority of them have overclocked atleast 50% (300a,pentium d 820,e2160,e5200,q9400,2500k have all done 50% overclock and the ones inbetween all got like atleast 30% athlon 1000, athlon xp1700+) and i have never had a cpu die with any of my own computers or any of the dozens i have built for family and friend, btw all my overclocked cpus were handed down to family and they never died after i passed them on too. i have replaced dozens of psus and a few mobo and gpus thats it. as for your cpu it could be holding your system back i forgot about the hyperthreaded dual core i5's so if you can afford it replace it a little down the track when you have the cash but the biggest boast in games will always come from gpu's. yes a ssd will still be 2.5-3 times quicker roughly than your mechanical drive over sata 2 3Gb/s and if and when you upgrade it will go even quicker
November 28, 2012 1:06:01 AM

jasont78 said:
yeah it will decrease its age if you overvolt the living shiit out of it and dont cool it properly, if done properly it shouldnt change a thing and will easily outlast the rest of your components. i have overclocked every cpu in my gaming computer since we were still running 300mhz single core processors (yes a very long time celeron 300a @ 450mhz) and the vast majority of them have overclocked atleast 50% (300a,pentium d 820,e2160,e5200,q9400,2500k have all done 50% overclock and the ones inbetween all got like atleast 30% athlon 1000, athlon xp1700+) and i have never had a cpu die with any of my own computers or any of the dozens i have built for family and friend, btw all my overclocked cpus were handed down to family and they never died after i passed them on too. i have replaced dozens of psus and a few mobo and gpus thats it. as for your cpu it could be holding your system back i forgot about the hyperthreaded dual core i5's so if you can afford it replace it a little down the track when you have the cash but the biggest boast in games will always come from gpu's. yes a ssd will still be 2.5-3 times quicker roughly than your mechanical drive over sata 2 3Gb/s and if and when you upgrade it will go even quicker

I will probably upgrade the motherboard and CPU down the road when I think is the right time. But if I got a corsair h80i for my i5 650, what could i overclock it to? And when I get a new CPU, could I just use the same h80i after it was used on the i5 650?
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:13:57 AM

Well if it was the quad core i5 i would say overclock it but since its the dual core you might as well
m
l
November 29, 2012 5:35:07 AM

Best answer selected by aLn123.
m
l
!