Computer keeps shutting down and restarting!!

detown

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
For a few hours already, my computer has been shutting down and restarting on its own. happen at random times. Some time before log in page, the minute when I log in or ten minutes after I turn on.

It's a three weeks old build:

CPU - Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000

Motherboard - BIOSTAR B75MU3+ LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 996995

GPU - XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

HHD - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W Modular 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM

I order the all hardwares at neweggs!!

First I thought it was the Diablo 3 overheating the pc, so I remove the cover and turned both exhaust and intake fans from 28CFM to 38CFM... didn't work...

Afterward I realize my pc will still shut down and restart without d3, then I remove the check mark from "Automatically restart" under "System failure" in "Startup and Recovery" settings... and it still shuts down and restart with no blue screen...

Does that mean it's the hardware? If yes, which?

If I exchange all the hardware beside the hard drive, can I still reinstall my activated Win 7 OS with the new hardware?

thx

if it a power issue when the power supply not holding..it the system just rebooting and reloading windows where you get a message that windows was not shut down right??? hardware monitor or another program like it has logging. where you can see if the power supply not holding. also watch that the gpu and cpu temps are fine...mb and video cards will shut down if over heated. i would start by seeing that the mb bios is up to date. and use cpu-z to see what speed and timming the mb set your ram up to. use the cpu-z spd tab see the speed and voltage of your ram..also try setting your ram in the bios to xmp profile.

detown

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

Yes, after restart I will get a windows error recovery telling me it shut down unsuccessfuly.. if I leave it , it will move to log in page then restart again.. afterward it will show windows failed to start massage.

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I had a similar issue once when I was building a system for a friend.

It drove me nuts but it ended up being one of the sticks of RAM.

It seemed to restart at random times, even before Windows was loaded.

Try pulling each stick one at a time and see if it doesn't happen then.

detown

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

I'll get right on it.... but how come it lasted three weeks till now?

I didn't cheap out on the PSU.. cause I was told cheaping out on the PSU gets you nowhere

If not this one, what kind of PSU should I get?

dirian

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
Its possible its a bad PSU. But i would start with smashmans suggestion. Ram is a likely culprit, and it costs you nothing to try that before you go buy another PSU.

detown

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012

pull them out and plug it back in?

super-smashman

Honorable
May 8, 2012

What I mean is try running the computer with only one stick at a time. If it boots with one but not the other it may be a dead stick.

Also try booting with each stick in each slot. The DIMM slot may also be broken.

TRENDING THREADS