Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 8:22:27 PM

So, as the thread title says, I'm looking for a new graphics card. The problem is, I don't know much about computers, and I've heard that graphics card specs can be confusing if you don't know enough about computers.

Here's my system specs:

System Model: Dell Inspiron 560
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70 GHz
RAM: 6GB
Display: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset (approx. total memory: 1695MB)

(If I missed something important, let me know)

I'm looking for a graphics card that can run some newer games like Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Battlefield 3, etc. at at least mid-range graphics settings. Please list the general price of any graphics cards you suggest if you can. I'm not really looking for an exact price, as I'm sure it probably varies. I will also consider buying a higher-level graphics card that can play newer games on high settings, if it's reasonably affordable compared to a mid-range one.

More about : graphics card

a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 10:44:24 PM

Well, the case you have is pretty small compared to more standard gaming setups, but before that, what's your power supply wattage? I can't seem to find it.
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 11:26:03 PM

Try taking a picture of the side of your PSU and posting it. Also if you plan on runnning BF3 or skyrim then you should take into account that those games are intensely cpu demanding.

Heres what the side of your PSU should have:
Related resources
May 22, 2012 1:30:17 AM

I don't think your current CPU would keep up with those games, and the problem is that is an socket 775 CPU. Unless you are able to find an old core 2 quad decently clocked, or something like that, i would recommend changing you Motherboard, but the thing is dell has custom made motherboards that only fit their custom made cases. this is why upgrading a manufacturer's computer is always a hassle.

If you decide to stick with your current cpu (will be a bottlneck for cards that can run games like bf3) or find a better socket 775 CPU, you have to consider the space you have inside your case. Anything over 10 inches would be fine and able to fit a descent card.

Also consider your power supply. Dell is knows for having very good power supplies, but the efficiency of it is not ideal since they are practically unbranded. So a 300W Chinese PSU isn't the same as an XFX one.

If your case has about 10 inches of space for a video card, let me suggest a 6850 for $150. It will run those games on mid-high no problem.

Hope I was of help :D 
May 22, 2012 2:33:40 AM

I'll try to get a picture of my PSU tomorrow, although from what I've gathered, this computer isn't going to be very good for newer games.

Since it would be difficult to change my motherboard, which seems to be necessary from what I've gathered, would I be better off buying a new computer? This one is actually my mom's, but I was hoping I would be able to run games on it since she hates it anyway.

If I would be better off buying another computer, what would you guys recommend? I would prefer one that could play some games that might come out in the next couple of years if that's possible.
a c 107 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 2:45:41 AM

VicariousToast said:
I'll try to get a picture of my PSU tomorrow, although from what I've gathered, this computer isn't going to be very good for newer games.

Since it would be difficult to change my motherboard, which seems to be necessary from what I've gathered, would I be better off buying a new computer? This one is actually my mom's, but I was hoping I would be able to run games on it since she hates it anyway.

If I would be better off buying another computer, what would you guys recommend? I would prefer one that could play some games that might come out in the next couple of years if that's possible.

depends. a low end entry gaming budget would be ~600$ without a monitor/mouse/keyboard [low end in my head would be i3-2120/h61 mobo/4 gig ram/500-600w bronze psu/500 gig hdd/24x dvd drive/550ti or 6770/Win7 Home Premium 64 bit] of course this is entry, so never expect to max anything, but you should be able to play most games with lowered detail at a mid to low screen resolution depending on the game.

if your REALLY on a budget, the most you can do is switch the psu to one that fits the mini tower you have and buy a low end gpu.
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 3:01:15 AM

VicariousToast said:

Either a completely new build, for which we'll need a budget, or just get an HD 7750 and pop it in that one. It should do medium settings in all games for a few years.
May 22, 2012 8:25:43 PM

Is that an AMD or Nvidia card(or something else)? And am I going to have to replace my CPU, or would I be able to keep that? If I'm going to have to replace it, what would a decent gaming CPU cost? And how would I go about replacing the motherboard? (I don't even really know anything about motherboards at all).

So, now I have yet another question. How much would a decent gaming computer cost? (something that can at least play games on mid-range settings, but if it's not too much money, I'll buy something that can run them on high) And about how much would replacing the motherboard, CPU, and graphics card cost?

I'm also going to have to wait to get a picture of the PSU, because my mom is complaining because she doesn't want me taking her computer apart. I'm also not sure if she'd let me upgrade her computer like this, so I might just have to buy my own.
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 8:35:09 PM

VicariousToast said:
Is that an AMD or Nvidia card(or something else)? And am I going to have to replace my CPU, or would I be able to keep that? If I'm going to have to replace it, what would a decent gaming CPU cost? And how would I go about replacing the motherboard? (I don't even really know anything about motherboards at all).

So, now I have yet another question. How much would a decent gaming computer cost? (something that can at least play games on mid-range settings, but if it's not too much money, I'll buy something that can run them on high) And about how much would replacing the motherboard, CPU, and graphics card cost?

I'm also going to have to wait to get a picture of the PSU, because my mom is complaining because she doesn't want me taking her computer apart. I'm also not sure if she'd let me upgrade her computer like this, so I might just have to buy my own.

You can keep your cpu, also the card the 7750 is a radeon card. If you plan on getting a new cpu then youre better off building a whole new system. dudewitbow also mentioned some specifications and prices. It all depends on what you're budget is and the detail and resolution you want to play games at. Also it depends on what games you will be playing. You cant compare something like BF3 to Diablo 3.
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 8:44:16 PM

VicariousToast said:

If you throw an AMD Radeon HD 7750 in your Dell, you'll be able to play any game out there. Your CPU will make some of the more demanding games kinda choppy, but the ones you mentioned should run fine on medium to high settings.

If you want your own gaming PC, you can build a decent rig for $600, a great rig for about $800, or you could buy one for a little more from a pre-built company like CyberPowerPC. They let you customize everything on the site before you order, and they put it all together for you. You can get advice on this forum for your build, but since building from scratch is pretty intensive, you could just get advice on parts and buy from CyberPowerPC.
May 22, 2012 8:49:33 PM

if u want to play games like bf3 then u'll have to buy a new cpu and mobo

intel dh67cl costs 89$ and the cpu
intel core i3 2100 costs 119 $
May 22, 2012 9:24:07 PM

Seeing as how I don't really have the money to build a gaming computer right now, I think I'll wait on that, and get that graphics card. Hopefully, I'll be able to get enough money together by the time I'm in college to buy a gaming computer. If I'm really lucky, I'll have it in time for the next Elder Scrolls game. Thanks for the help guys!
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 9:30:08 PM

VicariousToast said:
Seeing as how I don't really have the money to build a gaming computer right now, I think I'll wait on that, and get that graphics card. Hopefully, I'll be able to get enough money together by the time I'm in college to buy a gaming computer. If I'm really lucky, I'll have it in time for the next Elder Scrolls game. Thanks for the help guys!

Easy on that, dont forget to take a picture of your PSU. For all you know you can't run it. Try taking a picture of the spare cables too if you can.
May 24, 2012 6:22:54 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm going to have to wait until my mom is out of the house or something. It might take a few days.
!