OX-49

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Hi, I have realy big problem with my CPU. Not long time ago I dameged my CPU conectors and now I'm trying to fix it
Processor is AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Socket 939
Everything happend when I was changing my fans (pecouse my PC was realy loud) and when I tried to remove the cooler thermical paste acted as a glue and CPU pull together with Cooler good luck that he didn't pull with whole port
So, any ideas how to fix CPU conectors? pecouse my PC runs now with old CPU

OX-49

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
It is hard to see that damage. Whole problem is that i can't place CPU Near golden triangle pins are deformed about 12-20 pins damaged So how can i fix it? Do my processor lost?

P.S. My camera doesn't have such resolution to show those defects (8Mp Nokia E7 or Nikon coolpix 16Mp) you need 24Mp min to se deformation

ram1009

Distinguished
CPU pins are very fragile. They will probably break when you try to straighten them. Here's what I would do. Go to a hardware store or hobby shop where they sell an assortment of brass tubing. Buy a piece that's a close fit over the bent pins. Starting with the pins closest to the edge of the CPU slide the tube over the pin and SLOWLY bend it straight. Repeat. Good luck.

OX-49

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012

You see my contry is in Europe but there is no hobby shops just art shops so how could i fix it i realy need that processor I can't run with single core forever :)

MC_K7

Distinguished
Last time I checked we are in 2012 so you don't need to go to a shop, you could order brass tubing on the web. Or use any type of small tube you can find (or any small tool that won't damage the CPU). Your mission is to straighten all the pins without breaking them. Otherwise, you might have to purchase a new socket 939 CPU. Plain and simple.

OX-49

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Yes we are in 2012 and i just got new CPU for 1 month untill i get new PC/Laptop thats all we could close topic but it is still interesting how to fix CPU without using any special tool?

i have straightened pins in the past using the blade out of a stanley knife

or even a kitchen knife

just needs to have a blade thats the same width as the gap between the rows of pins and a very small point if the pins are badly bent

gently lever up any badly bent pins with the point of the knife

then gently run the back of the blade not the edge through the rows of pins going in both directions till the pins look straight

when they look straight very gently see if it fits in the socket--if it doesnt drop straight in dont try to force it

you are welcome

and in future if you need to remove the heatsink

warm up the cpu first--either by running the pc or by heating it with a hair dryer

warm thermal paste will let the heatsink come off easier

then use a twisting motion to break the suction of the thermal paste--twist one direction then the other

dont pull upwards

MC_K7

Distinguished

When I said any types of small tools, yep a butter knife is one of them if you really needed a practical example. But whatever you're using just be careful not to break any pins, it could happen even with a butter knife.

Good job, Ox!

Just for future reference, it's better to use plastic than metal on the pins - I like using a credit card. You can just drag it along all the pins to get them aligned.

(Whoops, sorry, missed you were using AMD. The credit card is only useful on Intel, where the pins are on the chip.)

OX-49

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
Now I need to fix my GPU f*** i hate when I something repair and after that i must repair other thing to work ahh... one day every thing would work perfect now just keep working!