MB: Asus P8H77-V

Video Card: EVGA GTX 570 2.5gb

Processor: Intel i7 3770k

Ram: Patriot 16GB

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 700w

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

OD: Sony

Well, I put in the Windows 7 64 bit disk and set it to boot off of the disk in the bios, it was loading W7 then after the loading screen it changed to Starting Windows. I left it at the screen for about an hour and it's still there. I can open up the bios easily, so if anyone has a solution, please help.

jason6567

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Also, after it wasn't working I took out the Video card to see if it was a PSU problem (insufficient power), and ran it through the motherboard. It still did the same thing.

Freezing problems like this are nearly always due to problem memory, try a memory test program such as memtest86 and run for at least three passes. If you have memory faster than 1333Mhz then you often have to set the memory timings yourself in the BIOS.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Put both sticks in and run memtest86 for 4-8 hours. You may have to set timings manually in bios. But memtest should show if you've got bad ram. If so, you need to set up an exchange with your supplier. You should be able to install and run with the one good stick though. Also, did specs on your board show it could take 16gb, as 16gb is really overkill.

jason6567

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
Yeah, but when I bought the ram it was 2 sticks of 8 for $109 (not including $25 rebate each) so yeah, i could have got the 8 gb for $20 less, but what the heck =P. How do I run memtest?

How was your Friday the 13 Jason??? :)

first off with the asus mb and the new ib chips there new cpu code that has to be flashed onto the bios.
boot into the bios and see what the bios rev is..then on another pc check to see how low the bios is from the newest bios. some of the asus mb have a usb flashback port on them some dont. if your has the port then down load the bios files in order.. ie (100.200.300..ect. expand the file on your laptop it make a long named .cap file. rename the file per asus bios renaming guild for the z77 mb. then copy the renamed cap onto the root of a fat 32 formated usb stick..place it into the usb flashback port and with only standby power push in the button for a few seconds. the flash back button will blink ...read the usb stick..change the speed of it blinking then turn off if done right. if you dont have one of those ports use the same renamed flash file but go into the bios under advace mode and use the asus crashbios update. it read the bios file from your usb stick and update the bios.
also with the asus mb with the ram to run at it max speed and timming under the ai tweeker you have to use the xmp profile.

make sure on your sata cables the hardd rive is plugged into the 6g port and the cd-rom into one of the blue 3g ports.
also your mb sata chipset is set to ide (page 20-30) in the owner book. you have to set it to achi mode and not raid.
then go back with the windows instaler cd remove the partions that were made then reboot. then go back and let windows 7 set itself back up. if it still hangs..try using one dimm and move it to a new slot.

jason6567

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I had the CD to a 6.0, I changed it to a 3.0 and still same problem, I changed it to AHCI or whatever and enabled the correct Sata drives. I also changed the DIMM and it still didn't work. Is it most likely a mobo problem or PSU, or anything else? I'm getting some sleep, any help is great tysm.

TRENDING THREADS