Sign in with
Your question

I WILL STUMP YOU: Computer does not recognize Radeon HD 4670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 21, 2012 10:47:55 PM

With the hopes of playing Diablo III, I purchased a Radeon HD 4670 graphics card from a friend. I installed the card, and my computer (windows 6, 64 bit) automatically installed its drivers... or so I thought. However, when I go to Device Manager to check what drivers are installed (under display drivers) it shows Radeon X300/X1000/X550 etc... i.e., it does not show the driver for the Radeon HD 4670.

I have tried uninstalling these drivers and manually installing the necessary drivers through the AMD site; however, when I run the Catalyst Control Center, it does not install any drivers at all. It goes through the motions - showing the install, that it - but the driver for the Radeon HD 4670 does not show up afterward on the Device Manager.

When running Diablo with the X300/X1000/X550 drivers installed, I receive an error message - the game does not support the video card, or something along those lines. The Radeon X300/X1000/X550 video cards are NOT supported by the game, the site makes that clear; however, the Radeon HD 4670 SHOULD be supported.

Any reason my computer isn't identifying the RIGHT video card? Why does it install the X300/X1000/X550 drivers and not the drivers for the Radeon HS 4670? With the right drivers, I imagine, the game will run properly. But I am at a loss for how to get the drivers to install.
May 21, 2012 11:02:02 PM

Does your mobo have integrated graphics?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 11:02:44 PM

Have you went into your bios and checked if you are running off the pcie bus? I also heard that either they are or have already dropped support for the 4xxx series cards.

Try an older driver version?
m
l
Related resources
a c 140 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 21, 2012 11:07:54 PM

Specifically what motherboard do you have?

@Mouse24 - There are current drivers for the HD4000 series cards, so I don't think support has been dropped.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:10:04 PM

Appreciate the help, gentlemen. The mobo does indeed have integrated graphics, though I don't know how to disable it - there aren't any other display drivers listed under the device manager. Thanks for the suggestion, Mouse. I'll be sure to try that. Any suggestion on which older driver version to try?
m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 21, 2012 11:13:51 PM

also check that you have pci bus drivers up to date..also check that the bios is up to date..some times there bios update. on your mb check the pci slot for any bent pins. also you did not post your mb spec. check to see what chipset the mb is using. and if it has nvidia or intel as onboard video. there have been know issue with some video cards and mb chipset. also without a lucient chipset if it has a nvidia video chipset already you have to use a nvidia card. one thing to also check is the pci video slot. is it rev 1 or rev 2x or 2.01. if it rev 1.0 then that what it reading your video card as.
m
l
May 21, 2012 11:16:06 PM

Guarneiri said:
Appreciate the help, gentlemen. The mobo does indeed have integrated graphics, though I don't know how to disable it - there aren't any other display drivers listed under the device manager. Thanks for the suggestion, Mouse. I'll be sure to try that. Any suggestion on which older driver version to try?

The driver being installed look like they're for an integrated graphics card. The integrated graphics is disabled through Bios. You can search how to disable it on google. It should force the mobo to use the new graphics card instead of the integrated one.

m
l
a c 203 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
May 21, 2012 11:18:30 PM

cpu-z will tell you your make and model on the second tab it tell you your video card link speed it also tell you the gpu info it reading.
m
l
!