Looking to upgrade my GPU, for Diablo III

Yinyang107

Honorable
May 21, 2012
My current card is a GeForce 8400 GS, which is apparently insufficient. I hear this place is "the authority on tech," so it seems as good a place to ask as any.

90% certain my motherboard's an Asus P5LP-LE. Belarc Advisor and CPU-Z both list it as "ASUStek Computer Inc. Leucite 2.00." This is the P5's pdf manual, which includes its specs.

My father, who's also a longtime Blizzard fan impatient to play D3, gave me a piece of paper that says "560ti Nvidea" [sic]. I don't know where he looked for information, but from googling it, the 560 seems quite modern. Will it work for D3, and would it fit my mobo? If not, any alternative suggestions?

Yinyang107

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Yeah loon, that's my box. Are the PSU specs there somewhere?

Edit to add: How's the temperature on the 560? I installed Speedfan about a week back and I've noticed that my current GPU averages 80+ degrees Celsius when I'm not even' playing anything.

The HD5870 can run everything MAX at 1920x1080 and get 120FPS average.

You can buy an HD6850 for as little as $100 on sale (newegg, ncix etc) which is my recommend unless there are different games.

Power Supply:
- GPU temp isn't really an issue, and it's possible Speedfan isn't properly reporting your GPU temp. Unless the GPU has artifacts etc it doesn't really matter.

*You need to physically look at your power supply so we can find the details. It's not enough just to say it's a "280 Watt PSU"; find a name, a model number or something that can be Googled because many pre-built systems don't come with PSU's which can handle much of a graphics upgrade.

G

i didn't ee any PSU specs . .but another concern is the Pentium D thats in it that will limit what card to get; a 560 is an overkill with that
some possible other choices like the 6770:
high%201920.png

but you mat get stuck with something along the lines of a 440 :(
low%201920.png

G

unfortunately yes.
also that PSU does not have a PCI power connection for a graphics card so that would limit the choices to a card that does not need an additional power supply from the 75 watts supplied by the pci x16 on the motherboard.

UAhmed

Honorable
May 19, 2012
If u'll play games like bf3 i think u'll need to upgrade. If u wanna play only D3 then go with what others said. I'd recommend a hd 6850 or 6870.

6870 can run most games easily at a decent resolution

G

to upgrade from the card your think of would also need to get another PSU that has a 6 pin PCI connection and a CPU to avoid a bottleneck.
the PSU is no problem but with the CPU it will need some thought about the cost effectiveness of spending money on an old socket 775 platform.