AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz V Intel Celeron G550 2.50Ghz

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Celeron
  • Intel
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
November 25, 2012 11:30:58 AM

The title says it all, what one will run fastest?

More about : amd 5300 4ghz intel celeron g550 50ghz

a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 1:01:28 PM

Go with A4 5300. Not only faster, but with much better Integrated graphics and greater value for money.
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 4:38:41 PM

CPU wise the Celeron wins (better architecture) however the A4 has a better IGP which means better graphics performance.
Related resources
November 25, 2012 4:48:24 PM

Well, it is for a server pc running linux. So nothing special
a b à CPUs
November 25, 2012 4:51:28 PM

spend like 10 bucks more and get a pentium G?
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2012 2:13:14 AM

SUPERmegaPIEman said:
Well, it is for a server pc running linux. So nothing special

In that case the Celeron would be faster and a much better choice overall.
December 7, 2012 3:45:49 PM

Further Question: Which one of these two would be better for a home PC, thus for internet, email and office?
December 7, 2012 4:11:50 PM

i'm using a g550 right now. well to set your expectations it sucks! can't handle a web browser at 1080p smoothly. sluggish performance overall. poor youtube performance. and for some reasons an e5200/g31 provides better dota1 performance which is weird.

there are times when i'm wondering if i made the right choice, like you i was in a similar situation

but i built this system knowing that i have a better upgrade path: HD*700s and an IB i3 (or perhaps an i5?) than an fm2 system.

so if you'll plan to mix things up in the future get the celeron. if not go for the fm2-based system.

can't go wrong with a celewrong, because it's already wrong
i think what it lacks are gpu-accelerated features that would make web browsing smoother.
December 8, 2012 6:44:48 AM

Thing is I plan to run a linux based server PC. I don't need the graphics on it to be good. My PC that I am using currently is worth over £1500 works quite well on the internet haha.
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 12:13:05 PM

SUPERmegaPIEman said:
Thing is I plan to run a linux based server PC. I don't need the graphics on it to be good. My PC that I am using currently is worth over £1500 works quite well on the internet haha.

That guy must have been a troll because the Celeron definitely can handle those tasks. As far as light server work it's perfect because it's low power and high efficiency.
December 8, 2012 7:13:20 PM

whooleo said:
That guy must have been a troll because the Celeron definitely can handle those tasks. As far as light server work it's perfect because it's low power and high efficiency.

^ yeah artifacting on a plain youtube content "is a task a celeron can definitely handle"..

i own one so i know what i'm talking about.

again a celeron SB sucks,sluggish and definitely not a cpu you should stick around with for too long.

a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 7:37:58 PM

wh3resmycar said:
^ yeah artifacting on a plain youtube content "is a task a celeron can definitely handle"..

i own one so i know what i'm talking about.

again a celeron SB sucks,sluggish and definitely not a cpu you should stick around with for too long.

If it's artifacting then it's either DOA or a user related problem because a CPU isn't supposed to artifact out of the box.
December 9, 2012 12:13:17 AM

If it's artifacting then it's either DOA or a user related problem because a CPU isn't supposed to artifact out of the box. said:
If it's artifacting then it's either DOA or a user related problem because a CPU isn't supposed to artifact out of the box.

i lol at this. there's a difference between video playback artifact and the actual artifacts that you see in games, like when the gpu is toasted.

again to the TS you can listen to a speculation by a self-proclaimed hardware guru who calls people troll, that seems to have little to no attention to detail: e.g. cannot differentiate between what "can handle" vs "handle smoothly" means.

because the Celeron definitely can handle those tasks. said:
because the Celeron definitely can handle those tasks.

well just be prepared to stuttering when scrolling down web pages if you'd go with a celeron (scolling from the top of this page to the bottom spikes 60% usage using opera).

peace out.

a b à CPUs
December 9, 2012 2:03:12 PM

wh3resmycar said:
i lol at this. there's a difference between video playback artifact and the actual artifacts that you see in games, like when the gpu is toasted.

again to the TS you can listen to a speculation by a self-proclaimed hardware guru who calls people troll, that seems to have little to no attention to detail: e.g. cannot differentiate between what "can handle" vs "handle smoothly" means.

well just be prepared to stuttering when scrolling down web pages if you'd go with a celeron (scolling from the top of this page to the bottom spikes 60% usage using opera).

peace out.

You sir are pretty ignorant, first of all this is for server duties so none of your arguments have much validity. Second, you say a Celeron G550/G540 can't handle simple web browsing? This CPU has been in several budget gaming builds by this website and Anandtech. On top of that I have a secondary PC with a Pentium D 925 @ 4GHz that is able to handle all web browsing duties perfectly smooth under Windows Vista with firefox mind you. So your claim of a Celeron G550/540 being unable to "smoothly handle" is bollocks. This isn't your grandmas socket 478 Celeron....
!