Sign in with
Your question

PC Wont Turn On

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2012 2:12:05 AM

Hello, I need some help here. I just got all of my parts and I built my computer, but when I try and turn it on the PC wont turn on. The fans wont turn, all that happens is that my motherboard's light turns green. I did the paper clip trick and one of the fans had turned on. I have no idea what the problem is. Is there a way to check if each part works? Thank you and I appreciate any comment, because im trying to fix this as fast as i can. :sweat:  :sweat: 

More about : wont turn

a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 2:28:47 AM

What are your specs? Could be just a cable not connected....Usualy need the 24 pin and 4 or 8 pin CPU cable not connected.
m
l
July 15, 2012 2:58:45 AM

i5 3570k
Corsair s600 PSU
128GB SSD
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Vengeance 8gb
H100
Windows 7
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2012 3:57:38 AM

I tried and it didnt work. The only led that shows up is the one on the motherboard and it goes green. No fans start at all, only an LED. Anyone know what the problem is? All answers welcome, I just want to fix this as fast as I can.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 4:15:01 AM

the bios does not have the cpu code yet for the new cpu i have one of these mb. use a usb stick and the usb flashback port on the back. download the 0901 bios first and rename is z77st.cap the renaming info is in the bios file and asus web page.
put the usb stick into the flash back port. you dont need the mb to be powered on to do this. push the flashback button in and hold it for 3 sec. the flashback button will start blinking...when it reads the usb stick the speed of the blinks will change then the port will turn off. when it turns off pull the usb stick out and try powering up the mb. on the first post you get a message building the bios do not turn off or stop. when it done rebuilding the bios file you see the asus logo. go in and hit f5 save and ext and then update the bios with the other flash files.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 4:18:09 AM

also look at the other led there power good led then then another green led on the bottom. the video good led should come one for a second and the memory good red led should come on and then turn off if the mb is posting. on the top right side of the mb did you plug in the 8 pin power and the 24 pin power??
http://cdn.overclock.net/6/62/62d04866_Sabertooth_Z77_M...
and is the cpu fan on the right header???
did you plug in all the pci power plugs to the video card??
m
l
July 15, 2012 5:20:20 AM

smorizio said:
the bios does not have the cpu code yet for the new cpu i have one of these mb. use a usb stick and the usb flashback port on the back. download the 0901 bios first and rename is z77st.cap the renaming info is in the bios file and asus web page.
put the usb stick into the flash back port. you dont need the mb to be powered on to do this. push the flashback button in and hold it for 3 sec. the flashback button will start blinking...when it reads the usb stick the speed of the blinks will change then the port will turn off. when it turns off pull the usb stick out and try powering up the mb. on the first post you get a message building the bios do not turn off or stop. when it done rebuilding the bios file you see the asus logo. go in and hit f5 save and ext and then update the bios with the other flash files.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI-zGV8SLho

So if I do this will my PC boot up and turn on? I'm about to try it, thanks a lot for all your feedback, I can use all the help I can get.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 5:30:58 AM

without the right cpu code the mb wont do anything
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:23:19 AM

Where do I download the 0901 bios from? I can't find the one for Z77 Sabertooth
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:29:44 AM

Thanks for the quick respons, which one do I download, I dont see the 0901.
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:38:05 AM

before you do all of that i would first try resetting your cmos. switch off the psu, clear the cmos, turn on the psu and then place the cmos back in normal position, then turn on your computer. truse me it works
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:42:00 AM

Sorry for all my questions, but when I download the BIOS it's only 4mb. My flash drive is 1GB and it shows nothing on it. When I try to copy the file onto the flash drive it says I need 176kb more of space. Why does it say that when I have a 1GB flash drive?
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:48:51 AM

you need to open the file before you save it to your flash drive but it won't fix your start up problem. i have the same cpu and a asus z77 pro mobo that has the same issue starting. what i told you is what works for me. apparently this is a known problem with asus z77 boards
m
l
July 15, 2012 7:56:57 AM

What does this fix? Alright so I downlaoded the first BIOS and I put it in and it started flashing. It stopped flashing but the light still stays on. How long do I need to wait until it turns off?
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:02:40 AM

just to be clear which light are you talking about? did you try clearing the cmos yet?
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:05:59 AM

I'm talking about the BIOs light. I havnt tried clearing the cmos yet, how do I do that? Thanks again for helping me about, I really appreciate it.
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:15:40 AM

you can look it up in your user manual, see page 2.2.5. its a little jumper with 3 pins, it will be next to the green power led
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:31:55 AM

So what do I need to do to get my PC up and running. The BIOS flsahback doesnt flash when my motherboard is off, but it flashes when its on and then just stays lit. When am I supposed to clear the cmos and what does it do?
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:37:35 AM

clearing the cmos just sets your board back to its default values.
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:48:12 AM

Not to be pushy but can you tell me step by step what I need to do to get my PC up and running? Thanks for the reply.
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:55:02 AM

ok this is what i do, step1 psu switch off, step2 place cmos in clear position, step3 psu switch on, step4 after waiting about 15 seconds place clear cmos switch back to normal position, step5 hope computer starts
m
l
July 15, 2012 9:03:18 AM

Ok then what do I do with the BIOS flashback?
m
l
July 15, 2012 9:05:55 AM

i wouldn't worry about that for right now. did the flash updated complete?
m
l
July 15, 2012 9:15:15 AM

I dont think so, the light is still blue. Is it possible that my motherboard is defective? Or will it work when I clear the cmos? Im looking for the cmos right now.
m
l
July 15, 2012 9:23:02 AM

theres always a chance something can be defective. i have looked into this start up problem a lot since i did my build 6 weeks ago. even with the latest bios i still have the same issue whenever i unplug my pc and have to do a cold start.
m
l
July 15, 2012 9:51:12 AM

Well the PSU works, I dont think my SSD is affected at all. And both of my RAM didn't work in any of the slots so I dont think my ram is defective. I have to think its the motherboard. Is there a chance the CPU is defective? I have a warranty on the Sabertooth and can send it back this week.
m
l
July 15, 2012 10:01:08 AM

thats to bad. are you 100% sure everythings plugged in properly? try the cmos a few times before you give up. you could try a rma on your board if all else fails.
m
l
July 15, 2012 10:03:42 AM

I cant find the CMOS pins on my motherboard, and didn't the mobo come in factory condition? Well I'm pretty sure I have everything plugged in. I have the 24 and 8 pin, and the SATA cables in my SSD and DVD. My Ram in in properly. CPU I put in perfectly, can't think of anything else.
m
l
July 15, 2012 10:13:44 AM

its on the bottom just left the green power led. yes it came in factory condition, don't ask me why but it seems to work on my board and a few others that i read about
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 11:53:02 AM

the bios flash back wont work unless you rename the bios file. i posted before you need to rename the file to z77st.cap.
also watch the video that i linked too it takes less then a min for the mb to be flashed..the light goes out when done.
Z77ST.CAP.
right now the cap file says sabertooth z77-asus-0906. the bios flashback looking for the other name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcdnwMjd_I
m
l
July 15, 2012 8:24:48 PM

I tried what you said and the light did go out, and when I tried to start it nothing happened. I also cleared the cmos and tried. Nothing happened. could my mobo be defective?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2012 2:15:35 AM

i would try the mb on a box with the ram and cpu only and see if the cpu fan comes on and the led come on on the mb. you could have shorted the mb out on the case or i\o shield.. did you use the mb case standoffs??? also with the power supply unplugged take a look at the cpu and the pins under the cpu.. make sure thee no bent pins and the cpu was put in right and is all the way down. if it not seated right the mb wont post. if you have another older ps see if the mb will post with another power supply. the paper clip test only force a ps to start...but without a tester you dont know if the ps is missing a power leg.
m
l
!