Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan location in build

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2012 2:13:33 AM

Hi,

So my computer's case is the BitFenix outlaw, and I'm trying to figure out what the optimal locations for the fans are. The case supports: 2 top, 2 front, 1 bottom (though practically, it is unusable), 2 side, and 1 back.

Currently, I have 2 top exhaust fans for the graphics card, 1 back exhaust (stock), 1 front intake, and 1 side intake.

My main concern is that the side intake fan is directly in line with my CPU's fan. I'm not sure if this is the best positioning, since I would think that it would stop the hot hair from leaving the case right away. So what I've been thinking is to change the back exhaust to an intake fan, and change the side intake to an exhaust.

Any suggestions/ideas/comments?

More about : fan location build

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 3:09:28 AM

If you have a stock heatsink and fan unit, the fan blows down onto the heatsink. Having the side fan blow in supplies the cpu fan with cooler outside air
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2012 3:25:25 AM

rules for cases, with a few rare exceptions:

intakes: front, sides, bottom
exhaust: top, back
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2012 3:58:58 AM

GI_JONES said:
If you have a stock heatsink and fan unit, the fan blows down onto the heatsink. Having the side fan blow in supplies the cpu fan with cooler outside air

Ah, that's interesting. I didn't know that, but that would solve my worries about the side fans. Thanks!
m
l
July 17, 2012 7:11:44 AM

Best answer selected by vaatur.
m
l
!