System tray icon won't stay hidden!!

OMG! It has 1001 lives!!!

1. The LAN on my PC cannot be disabled to remove the icon because it causes
my dialup ISP to fail with an ntdll.dll error on the second disconnection. So
I need to find a way to disable/hide the icon while leaving the LAN intact.

2. Unchecking the box "Show icon in notification area when connected" has
no effect.

3. Changing the taskbar properties to 'Always hide' doesn't work either.
After hibernation or reboot, the LAN icon comes baaack.

4. I have tried several tweaks from
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and still no joy.

I am at my wit's end. Doesn't anyone know how to make this icon disappear
once and for all?
15 answers Last reply
More about system tray icon stay hidden

    In news:1156ABEC-0D27-41DD-94BE-79E1370B8420@microsoft.com,
    saynotogmos <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > OMG! It has 1001 lives!!!
    >
    > 1. The LAN on my PC cannot be disabled to remove the icon because it
    > causes my dialup ISP to fail with an ntdll.dll error on the second
    > disconnection. So I need to find a way to disable/hide the icon while
    > leaving the LAN intact.
    >
    > 2. Unchecking the box "Show icon in notification area when
    > connected" has no effect.
    >
    > 3. Changing the taskbar properties to 'Always hide' doesn't work
    > either. After hibernation or reboot, the LAN icon comes baaack.
    >
    > 4. I have tried several tweaks from
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and still no joy.
    >
    > I am at my wit's end. Doesn't anyone know how to make this icon
    > disappear once and for all?

    Have you tried opening the Control Panel > Switch to classic view > Open
    Network Connections > Local Area Connection > UNtick "Show icon in
    notification area...?"

    Galen

    Of course, that was one of the first things I tried. Had no effect.

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:1156ABEC-0D27-41DD-94BE-79E1370B8420@microsoft.com,
    > saynotogmos <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > OMG! It has 1001 lives!!!
    > >
    > > 1. The LAN on my PC cannot be disabled to remove the icon because it
    > > causes my dialup ISP to fail with an ntdll.dll error on the second
    > > disconnection. So I need to find a way to disable/hide the icon while
    > > leaving the LAN intact.
    > >
    > > 2. Unchecking the box "Show icon in notification area when
    > > connected" has no effect.
    > >
    > > 3. Changing the taskbar properties to 'Always hide' doesn't work
    > > either. After hibernation or reboot, the LAN icon comes baaack.
    > >
    > > 4. I have tried several tweaks from
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and still no joy.
    > >
    > > I am at my wit's end. Doesn't anyone know how to make this icon
    > > disappear once and for all?
    >
    > Have you tried opening the Control Panel > Switch to classic view > Open
    > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > UNtick "Show icon in
    > notification area...?"
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    I am not sure why your LAN connection would affect your dialup connection.
    The LAN connection uses the network card and the dialup connection should be
    using the modem to connect to your ISP. In either case, each network
    connection has its own properties, descriptions, and its own check box for
    "show icon in notification area". Make sure you are unchecking the box for
    the LAN connection and not the dialup connection.

    I am assuming you are using WinXP... When the icon appears in the icon
    tray, put your cursor over it for a little bit and a pop-up description
    should appear telling which network connection the icon belongs to. Then
    open up the Network Connections dialog to turn off the tray icon for the
    corresponding network connection.

    "saynotogmos" wrote:

    > OMG! It has 1001 lives!!!
    >
    > 1. The LAN on my PC cannot be disabled to remove the icon because it causes
    > my dialup ISP to fail with an ntdll.dll error on the second disconnection. So
    > I need to find a way to disable/hide the icon while leaving the LAN intact.
    >
    > 2. Unchecking the box "Show icon in notification area when connected" has
    > no effect.
    >
    > 3. Changing the taskbar properties to 'Always hide' doesn't work either.
    > After hibernation or reboot, the LAN icon comes baaack.
    >
    > 4. I have tried several tweaks from
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and still no joy.
    >
    > I am at my wit's end. Doesn't anyone know how to make this icon disappear
    > once and for all?

    As I said before . . . that doesn't remove the icon though logically that's
    what is says it should do. Yes, I have the correct icon for the LAN not the
    modem connection. I am running XP Pro SP2 with all current updates. And the
    machine is completely clean.

    "crosswired" wrote:

    > I am not sure why your LAN connection would affect your dialup connection.
    > The LAN connection uses the network card and the dialup connection should be
    > using the modem to connect to your ISP. In either case, each network
    > connection has its own properties, descriptions, and its own check box for
    > "show icon in notification area". Make sure you are unchecking the box for
    > the LAN connection and not the dialup connection.
    >
    > I am assuming you are using WinXP... When the icon appears in the icon
    > tray, put your cursor over it for a little bit and a pop-up description
    > should appear telling which network connection the icon belongs to. Then
    > open up the Network Connections dialog to turn off the tray icon for the
    > corresponding network connection.
    >

    > "saynotogmos" wrote:
    >
    > > OMG! It has 1001 lives!!!
    > >
    > > 1. The LAN on my PC cannot be disabled to remove the icon because it causes
    > > my dialup ISP to fail with an ntdll.dll error on the second disconnection. So
    > > I need to find a way to disable/hide the icon while leaving the LAN intact.
    > >
    > > 2. Unchecking the box "Show icon in notification area when connected" has
    > > no effect.
    > >
    > > 3. Changing the taskbar properties to 'Always hide' doesn't work either.
    > > After hibernation or reboot, the LAN icon comes baaack.
    > >
    > > 4. I have tried several tweaks from
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and still no joy.
    > >
    > > I am at my wit's end. Doesn't anyone know how to make this icon disappear
    > > once and for all?

    How do your settings under Connections read?

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "saynotogmos" <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OMG! It has 1001 lives!!!
    >
    > 1. The LAN on my PC cannot be disabled to remove the icon because it
    > causes
    > my dialup ISP to fail with an ntdll.dll error on the second disconnection.
    > So
    > I need to find a way to disable/hide the icon while leaving the LAN
    > intact.
    >
    > 2. Unchecking the box "Show icon in notification area when connected" has
    > no effect.
    >
    > 3. Changing the taskbar properties to 'Always hide' doesn't work either.
    > After hibernation or reboot, the LAN icon comes baaack.
    >
    > 4. I have tried several tweaks from
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and still no joy.
    >
    > I am at my wit's end. Doesn't anyone know how to make this icon disappear
    > once and for all?

    Kelly, I'm not sure I understand your question. There are a lot of settings
    that you might be referring to.

    I have spent some time on your tweaks page and tried a few. The one that
    worked is PS Tray Factory program under the description "Hide Inactive Icons
    and More". This little application does the job perfectly - the LAN icon is
    permanantly hidden under all circumstances. There is still time left on the
    trial period to figure out how to get the same result within Windows itself.
    I don't feel I should have to shell out $25 bucks for something Windows
    should be doing itself.

    If you know how that progie gets the job done, maybe a solution is at hand.

    Thanks for all the wonderful tweaks, BTW.

    In news:16235872-C5D0-46A2-9266-C8D24CA53EAB@microsoft.com,
    saynotogmos <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Of course, that was one of the first things I tried. Had no effect.

    Curiouser and curiouser... I'd follow up with Kelly's question to see where
    that leads you. One additional question, does your ISP have any software
    that you had to use to establish a connection?

    Galen

    Yes, the ISP has interface software. I have used this ISP for four years
    with Win ME and no problems. It only appeared on XP with the LAN. I have
    long suspected that something in the ISP interface is to blame for the
    glitch. Not being able to keep the LAN icon hidden is however, a Microsoft
    problem. It will be easier to fix it on the MS side, I think.

    In news:614C9D60-23BF-4A8F-8D27-8BA6CD1FC316@microsoft.com,
    saynotogmos <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Yes, the ISP has interface software. I have used this ISP for four
    > years with Win ME and no problems. It only appeared on XP with the
    > LAN. I have long suspected that something in the ISP interface is to
    > blame for the glitch. Not being able to keep the LAN icon hidden is
    > however, a Microsoft problem. It will be easier to fix it on the MS
    > side, I think.

    Yeah, I've read... I saw your response to Kelly and I'm pretty sure that if
    there's a fix she'll figure it out as the generic (and simple) one that I
    offered was something you've already tried. I've spent a few minutes in
    Google looking, I even tried the MSN search and haven't found anything that
    goes any deeper. Do you require the interface software in order to use the
    ISP? If not then have you tried it without the software installed?

    Galen
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Yes, I need and want the interface. Can't connect without it. Since the PS
    Tray Factory proves that the icon can be managed, I'm hoping for a Windows
    fix for the icon rather than a disabled LAN fix on the ISP end.

    I have been working on this problem for two months with my ISP and MS
    support! I also Googled and left no stone unturned. In the end, it was me,
    the long sufering user, who eventually discovered what the glitch was and
    found a way to fix at least one of the problems in Kellys-korner tweaks.

    Thanks for your input.

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:614C9D60-23BF-4A8F-8D27-8BA6CD1FC316@microsoft.com,
    > saynotogmos <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Yes, the ISP has interface software. I have used this ISP for four
    > > years with Win ME and no problems. It only appeared on XP with the
    > > LAN. I have long suspected that something in the ISP interface is to
    > > blame for the glitch. Not being able to keep the LAN icon hidden is
    > > however, a Microsoft problem. It will be easier to fix it on the MS
    > > side, I think.
    >
    > Yeah, I've read... I saw your response to Kelly and I'm pretty sure that if
    > there's a fix she'll figure it out as the generic (and simple) one that I
    > offered was something you've already tried. I've spent a few minutes in
    > Google looking, I even tried the MSN search and haven't found anything that
    > goes any deeper. Do you require the interface software in order to use the
    > ISP? If not then have you tried it without the software installed?
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Galen,

    I have the utmost respect for your sig. How perfect. Thank you!

    --

    > In news:16235872-C5D0-46A2-9266-C8D24CA53EAB@microsoft.com,
    > saynotogmos <saynotogmos@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    >> Of course, that was one of the first things I tried. Had no effect.
    >
    > Curiouser and curiouser... I'd follow up with Kelly's question to see
    > where that leads you. One additional question, does your ISP have any
    > software that you had to use to establish a connection?
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:uc2%23hn3NFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    > Galen,
    >
    > I have the utmost respect for your sig. How perfect. Thank you!

    Kelly,

    Thank you for having noted it. I know a number of people have changed back
    to 'normal' signatures. They put the flag at half staff for the death of a
    president for a month. Alex was better than any president who's been in
    office during my lifetime. I don't know when I'll change it back but, I have
    thought on the subject, it's simply not time.

    Galen
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Tell ya what, will borrow this one. Point taken. Thank you, Galen.

    --

    > In news:uc2%23hn3NFHA.3984@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    >> Galen,
    >>
    >> I have the utmost respect for your sig. How perfect. Thank you!
    >
    > Kelly,
    >
    > Thank you for having noted it. I know a number of people have changed back
    > to 'normal' signatures. They put the flag at half staff for the death of a
    > president for a month. Alex was better than any president who's been in
    > office during my lifetime. I don't know when I'll change it back but, I
    > have thought on the subject, it's simply not time.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    In news:O$7CTpnOFHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    > Tell ya what, will borrow this one. Point taken. Thank you, Galen.

    *hides from your husband and gives you a hug* <g> I didn't change it even
    for the Pope. Not that I'm a Catholic but he was also a great man. He still
    didn't know half as much about Windows as Alex did though.

    As an aside, we tend to think of him as lost. Search the 'net. He's not
    lost, he's just gone from this realm. He's still all over the place. He's
    left so much of what he's given behind, if the nature of the 'net continues
    as it has up to now then he too will continue long past the XP days and well
    into the future.

    Galen
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Now I see what you meant <hug> via XP Gen! And returned here, as well. As
    for Alex, you are correct. He will remain in Google, for another two
    operating systems to come, alone! <w>

    He was brilliant and I think of him while working these groups, daily. I
    miss seeing his name.

    > In news:O$7CTpnOFHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Kelly <kelly@mvps.org> had this to say:

    >> Tell ya what, will borrow this one. Point taken. Thank you, Galen.
    >
    > *hides from your husband and gives you a hug* <g> I didn't change it even
    > for the Pope. Not that I'm a Catholic but he was also a great man. He
    > still didn't know half as much about Windows as Alex did though.
    >
    > As an aside, we tend to think of him as lost. Search the 'net. He's not
    > lost, he's just gone from this realm. He's still all over the place. He's
    > left so much of what he's given behind, if the nature of the 'net
    > continues as it has up to now then he too will continue long past the XP
    > days and well into the future.
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

Configuration Internet Service Providers LAN Windows XP