Sign in with
Your question

BSOD - ntoskrnl.exe & dxgmms1.sys

Last response: in Windows 7
January 31, 2012 7:02:50 PM

Was listening to music on Spotify, Playing football manager, and browsing via Chrome when I received a BSOD. At the time of the BSOD, I was just about to go make myself something to eat so I didn't see what it screen actually said. But I do have "blue screen view" installed and looked to see what has caused the BSOD
dxgmms1.sys & ntoskrnl.exe are high lighted red, while it says it was caused by dxgmms1.sys. As you can see in this img: http://i.imgur.com/dmFP5.jpg
I think it has something to do with my graphics drivers so I've uninstalled them and re-installed from ATI's website and haven't gotten a BSOD yet. Although I've only played 2 games of League of Legends so haven't tested much.

Specs:
Mobo - Gigabyte M68M- S2P
GPU - ATI 6770
CPU - AMD Phenom x4 9650

Anyone got an idea what caused this BSOD and if I should be worried?
February 22, 2012 1:38:10 PM

yes...this problem is coming from incorrect or corrupted drive ... you should scan your drive ...to solve your problem
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2012 6:22:45 PM

Bug Check 0x1E: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Basically, the Windows Kernal [ntoskrnl.exe] ran into an exception and crashed. This typically means some other program/driver caused memory corruption that brought down the OS.

In this case, a DX critical DLL was indicated, which means you might have a GPU problem. RAM can't be ruled out though.

For now, the first steps you should do:

1: Run memtest86 on each stick of RAM, one at a time. If any stick has an error, thats likely the cause of your problems.

2: If that fails to find a problem, use a different version of the GPU driver.

3: If the problem still remains, try testing with a different GPU. Its possible the GPU HW itself is bad [happened to me not too long ago...]
!