Sign in with
Your question

How to upgrade the graphics card on a laptop

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2012 2:10:28 AM

Hello,
I bought a samsung laptop with i5 processor and Nvidia dedicated 1GB graphics card. I have 4GB RAM and 500GB hard disk

My question is can I upgrade this Nvidia dedcated 1GB into higher version.
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 2:05:13 PM

madseason - that's overkill- i'm not sure if he's willing to shell out extra for a gpu and a psu and attempt to make that work. There are technical difficulties and extra clutter if he wants to go down that path. Also, if he has a modern gaming laptop from companies like ASUS, he can replace his laptop gpu with another laptop gpu with a MxM slot from ebay - providing the size is the same and the power supply is enough to accomodate such an upgrade. Otherwise, his upgrade path is very limited. This is the limitation you get from gaming laptops - However, he can try to put to together a budget gaming desktop that is generally more powerful than most entry level discrete laptop gpus - then later if money permits, he can upgrade to a better gpu and insert that into his PCI-E slot for better performance. Here's the breakdown: if he has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768, then an external gpu is highly discouraged because it's too powerful - however if he has a decent 1920 x 1080 screen, then it may be worth it, though he is looking to shell at least 200 dollars for such a solution. The best thing to do is see what kind of laptop model he has and see if its modular - if so he can try to get a laptop gpu from ebay and install that in his laptop. If not, the only thing that I can offer is build his own desktop or try to overclock his cpu and gpu, if applicable.
m
l
!