want desktop icons to "open" with double click.

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Customization
  • Desktop Icons
  • Windows XP
March 28, 2005 9:51:03 PM

When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change the
order of the menu commands?

More about : desktop icons open double click

Anonymous
March 28, 2005 11:04:11 PM

Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....

Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A984CAD7-23F6-4280-B9D7-1105E094769C@microsoft.com,
C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
> with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do
> I change the order of the menu commands?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 1:19:08 AM

Hi Wesley,

I set the defaults in the registry, but that didn't work. Neither did
Amada's suggestion. I also tried the download, but when I double clicked the
folder, I received a warning saying "Malicious Script Detected - Your
computer is halted and needs to do something about this script". Oh, and I
did try restarting, but that didn't change anything. What next? Thanks,
Carolyn

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
> when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....
>
> Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:A984CAD7-23F6-4280-B9D7-1105E094769C@microsoft.com,
> C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
> > with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do
> > I change the order of the menu commands?

March 29, 2005 4:54:00 AM

Hi,

Alongwith Wesley's expert advice (which essentially do the same thing that i am going to suggest),
you can type the following at Start/Run and press enter:

regsvr32 shell32.dll

Hope that helps.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
> the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change the
> order of the menu commands?
March 29, 2005 6:04:01 AM

Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32

If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated edit:

Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)

To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the vbs file.
You will be prompted when the script is done.

NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this
is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
> the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change
> the
> order of the menu commands?
Anonymous
March 29, 2005 6:04:02 AM

I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked. My pc
is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something wrong, but the
problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry about calling you
Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this group. Be watching for my
spyware post coming soon. I'll need your help for that one too! Best wishes
to all of you. Carolyn

"Kelly" wrote:

> Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
>
> If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated edit:
>
> Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
>
> To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
> may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the vbs file.
> You will be prompted when the script is done.
>
> NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this
> is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
> scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.
>
> --
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> All the Best,
> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>
> Troubleshooting Windows XP
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>

> "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
> > the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change
> > the
> > order of the menu commands?

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 7:06:21 AM

If script blocking is enabled, any script that accesses the registry, even one designed to help you, will generate a "Malicious Script" warning. You should allow it.

Keith

"C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49726FA9-26C7-4DAA-87C5-B7035E1818CA@microsoft.com...
> Hi Wesley,
>
> I set the defaults in the registry, but that didn't work. Neither did
> Amada's suggestion. I also tried the download, but when I double clicked the
> folder, I received a warning saying "Malicious Script Detected - Your
> computer is halted and needs to do something about this script". Oh, and I
> did try restarting, but that didn't change anything. What next? Thanks,
> Carolyn
>
> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
> > Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
> > when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open....
> >
> > Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >
> > Wes
> > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > In news:A984CAD7-23F6-4280-B9D7-1105E094769C@microsoft.com,
> > C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
> > > with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do
> > > I change the order of the menu commands?

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 11:01:22 AM

Carolyn,

Glad you got it worked out.

I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>

Keep having fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked.
> My pc is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something
> wrong, but the problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry
> about calling you Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this
> group. Be watching for my spyware post coming soon. I'll need your
> help for that one too! Best wishes to all of you. Carolyn
>
> "Kelly" wrote:
>
>> Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
>>
>> If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated
>> edit:
>>
>> Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
>>
>> To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard
>> drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As).
>> Double-click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is
>> done.
>>
>> NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious"
>> script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar
>> technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do
>> make changes to the System Registry.
>>
>> --
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> All the Best,
>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>
>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>

>> "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they
>>> start with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed.
>>> How do I change the
>>> order of the menu commands?
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 11:12:03 AM

Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>

--

> Carolyn,
>
> Glad you got it worked out.
>
> I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>
>
> Keep having fun.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
> C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>> I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked.
>> My pc is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something
>> wrong, but the problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry
>> about calling you Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this
>> group. Be watching for my spyware post coming soon. I'll need your
>> help for that one too! Best wishes to all of you. Carolyn
>>
>> "Kelly" wrote:
>>
>>> Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
>>>
>>> If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated
>>> edit:
>>>
>>> Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>
>>> To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard
>>> drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As).
>>> Double-click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is
>>> done.
>>>
>>> NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious"
>>> script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar
>>> technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do
>>> make changes to the System Registry.
>>>
>>> --
>>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>>
>>> All the Best,
>>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
>>>

>>> "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
March 30, 2005 12:13:36 PM

Hi Anando,

My Uncle Bill always said, "Call me anything you want. Just don't call me
late for supper." :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eSLDOlRNFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>> Carolyn,
>>
>> Glad you got it worked out.
>>
>> I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>
>>
>> Keep having fun.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
>> C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked.
>>> My pc is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something
>>> wrong, but the problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry
>>> about calling you Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this
>>> group. Be watching for my spyware post coming soon. I'll need your
>>> help for that one too! Best wishes to all of you. Carolyn

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 5:26:31 PM

>>Hope this helps. Let us know

Yeah it helped. I will let my roomies know about the supper thingy....:o )

--

news:o Lv7IsTNFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi Anando,
>
> My Uncle Bill always said, "Call me anything you want. Just don't call me
> late for supper." :-)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eSLDOlRNFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

>>> Carolyn,
>>>
>>> Glad you got it worked out.
>>>
>>> I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>
>>>
>>> Keep having fun.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
>>> C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

Anonymous
March 30, 2005 8:32:06 PM

BTW, Uncle Bill's real name is Cecil. Oh my. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uduid2UNFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know
>
> Yeah it helped. I will let my roomies know about the supper
> thingy....:o )
>
> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> In memory of Alex Nichol
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

> news:o Lv7IsTNFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Hi Anando,
>>
>> My Uncle Bill always said, "Call me anything you want. Just don't
>> call me late for supper." :-)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:eSLDOlRNFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Anando
>>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>>> http://www.mvps.org
>>>
>>> In memory of Alex Nichol
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexper...
>>>
>>> Folder customizations
>>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>>
>>> Protect your PC!
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

April 2, 2005 9:43:33 AM

Great, glad to hear all is well. Thanks for the feedback.

--

!