want desktop icons to "open" with double click.

When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change the
order of the menu commands?
12 answers Last reply
More about want desktop icons open double click

    Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm

    Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:A984CAD7-23F6-4280-B9D7-1105E094769C@microsoft.com,
    C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
    > with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do
    > I change the order of the menu commands?

    Hi Wesley,

    I set the defaults in the registry, but that didn't work. Neither did
    Amada's suggestion. I also tried the download, but when I double clicked the
    folder, I received a warning saying "Malicious Script Detected - Your
    computer is halted and needs to do something about this script". Oh, and I
    did try restarting, but that didn't change anything. What next? Thanks,
    Carolyn

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    > when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    >
    > Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321186
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:A984CAD7-23F6-4280-B9D7-1105E094769C@microsoft.com,
    > C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
    > > with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do
    > > I change the order of the menu commands?

    Hi,

    Alongwith Wesley's expert advice (which essentially do the same thing that i am going to suggest),
    you can type the following at Start/Run and press enter:

    regsvr32 shell32.dll

    Hope that helps.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
    > the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change the
    > order of the menu commands?

    Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32

    If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated edit:

    Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)

    To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
    may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the vbs file.
    You will be prompted when the script is done.

    NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this
    is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
    scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
    > the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change
    > the
    > order of the menu commands?

    I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked. My pc
    is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something wrong, but the
    problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry about calling you
    Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this group. Be watching for my
    spyware post coming soon. I'll need your help for that one too! Best wishes
    to all of you. Carolyn

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
    >
    > If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated edit:
    >
    > Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
    >
    > To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you
    > may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the vbs file.
    > You will be prompted when the script is done.
    >
    > NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script, this
    > is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
    > scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System Registry.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start with
    > > the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I change
    > > the
    > > order of the menu commands?

    If script blocking is enabled, any script that accesses the registry, even one designed to help you, will generate a "Malicious Script" warning. You should allow it.

    Keith

    "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49726FA9-26C7-4DAA-87C5-B7035E1818CA@microsoft.com...
    > Hi Wesley,
    >
    > I set the defaults in the registry, but that didn't work. Neither did
    > Amada's suggestion. I also tried the download, but when I double clicked the
    > folder, I received a warning saying "Malicious Script Detected - Your
    > computer is halted and needs to do something about this script". Oh, and I
    > did try restarting, but that didn't change anything. What next? Thanks,
    > Carolyn
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    > > Fixes the problem where Search or Command Prompt opens
    > > when double clicking a folder © Doug Knox
    > > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_folder_open.htm
    > >
    > > Search Companion Starts If You Double-Click a Folder
    > >
    > > --
    > > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    > >
    > > Wes
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >
    > > In news:A984CAD7-23F6-4280-B9D7-1105E094769C@microsoft.com,
    > > C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
    > > > with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do
    > > > I change the order of the menu commands?

    Carolyn,

    Glad you got it worked out.

    I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>

    Keep having fun.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
    C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked.
    > My pc is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something
    > wrong, but the problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry
    > about calling you Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this
    > group. Be watching for my spyware post coming soon. I'll need your
    > help for that one too! Best wishes to all of you. Carolyn
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
    >>
    >> If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated
    >> edit:
    >>
    >> Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
    >>
    >> To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard
    >> drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As).
    >> Double-click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is
    >> done.
    >>
    >> NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious"
    >> script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar
    >> technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do
    >> make changes to the System Registry.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they
    >>> start with the search command. I want the folder to open instaed.
    >>> How do I change the
    >>> order of the menu commands?

    Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>

    --

    > Carolyn,
    >
    > Glad you got it worked out.
    >
    > I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>
    >
    > Keep having fun.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
    > C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked.
    >> My pc is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something
    >> wrong, but the problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry
    >> about calling you Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this
    >> group. Be watching for my spyware post coming soon. I'll need your
    >> help for that one too! Best wishes to all of you. Carolyn
    >>
    >> "Kelly" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
    >>>
    >>> If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated
    >>> edit:
    >>>
    >>> Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >>>
    >>> To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard
    >>> drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As).
    >>> Double-click the vbs file. You will be prompted when the script is
    >>> done.
    >>>
    >>> NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious"
    >>> script, this is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar
    >>> technology enabled. These scripts are not malicious, but they do
    >>> make changes to the System Registry.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> All the Best,
    >>> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>>
    >>> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>>

    >>> "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi Anando,

    My Uncle Bill always said, "Call me anything you want. Just don't call me
    late for supper." :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eSLDOlRNFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    > Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >> Carolyn,
    >>
    >> Glad you got it worked out.
    >>
    >> I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>
    >>
    >> Keep having fun.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
    >> C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked.
    >>> My pc is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something
    >>> wrong, but the problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry
    >>> about calling you Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this
    >>> group. Be watching for my spyware post coming soon. I'll need your
    >>> help for that one too! Best wishes to all of you. Carolyn

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    >>Hope this helps. Let us know

    Yeah it helped. I will let my roomies know about the supper thingy....:o)

    --

    > Hi Anando,
    >
    > My Uncle Bill always said, "Call me anything you want. Just don't call me
    > late for supper." :-)
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:eSLDOlRNFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Anando
    >> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >> http://www.mvps.org
    >>
    >> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>
    >> Folder customizations
    >> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>
    >> Protect your PC!
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >>> Carolyn,
    >>>
    >>> Glad you got it worked out.
    >>>
    >>> I was wondering who Amanda was. <LOL>
    >>>
    >>> Keep having fun.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >>> In news:13D54FD1-A997-4CDA-AE62-3267C7C7E88B@microsoft.com,
    >>> C Kraft <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    BTW, Uncle Bill's real name is Cecil. Oh my. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uduid2UNFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know
    >
    > Yeah it helped. I will let my roomies know about the supper
    > thingy....:o)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    >> Hi Anando,
    >>
    >> My Uncle Bill always said, "Call me anything you want. Just don't
    >> call me late for supper." :-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:eSLDOlRNFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    >> Anando [MS-MVP] <anando@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Not the first time this has happened to me... <LOL>
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Anando
    >>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>> http://www.mvps.org
    >>>
    >>> In memory of Alex Nichol
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/nichol.mspx
    >>>
    >>> Folder customizations
    >>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >>>
    >>> Protect your PC!
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Great, glad to hear all is well. Thanks for the feedback.

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I tried Wesley's suggestion a few more times, and it finally worked. My pc
    > is currently possessed, or I could have been doing something wrong, but
    > the
    > problem is solved. Thank you Wesley, Anando (sorry about calling you
    > Amanda!) and Kelly. I'm so glad I found this group. Be watching for my
    > spyware post coming soon. I'll need your help for that one too! Best
    > wishes
    > to all of you. Carolyn
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 /i shell32
    >>
    >> If that doesn't correct the issue (and it should) use this automated
    >> edit:
    >>
    >> Search or CMD Opens When Double Clicking a Folder or Drive (Line 18)
    >>
    >> To use the VBS File: Download .vbs file and save it to your hard drive
    >> (you
    >> may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the vbs
    >> file.
    >> You will be prompted when the script is done.
    >>
    >> NOTE: If your anti-virus software warns you of a "malicious" script,
    >> this
    >> is normal if you have "Script Safe" or similar technology enabled. These
    >> scripts are not malicious, but they do make changes to the System
    >> Registry.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "C Kraft" <C Kraft@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > When double clicking the the shortcut icons on my desktop, they start
    >> > with
    >> > the search command. I want the folder to open instaed. How do I
    >> > change
    >> > the
    >> > order of the menu commands?

Configuration Customization Desktop Icons Windows XP