Need advice for AMD FX8120

dekoNN

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hello,
I just installed a MSI 970A-G46 Motherboard and AMD FX8120. I am currently running a 500W antec power supply. My computer won't turn on, do i need a higher power power supply or am i just wiring it wrong?

socialfox

Distinguished
Need a bit more information, an FX-8120 with just the motherboard should power on fine as it uses much less than 500 watts. Are we missing something like the video card in the equation and other peripherals? In addition it could also be that you installed the front panel connectors from the computer case the wrong way if this is a new build. It could also be if you have not connected the 4/8 pin power connector for the CPU. Lastly, you could also check if the bios version supports the CPU.

Edit: Just checked its an 8 pin connector for your motherboard.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well the GTS 250 requires a minimum of 450 watt power supply as stated on the webpage so your video card and processor are fine with that power supply. Have you read my above post?

1. Check if the 8 pin power connector from the power supply is inserted to the slot on the motherboard which is near the CPU
2. Verify the Front Panel connectors are inserted in the right way
3. Verify the bios version supports the FX-8120, quite a few boards require an update to use the FX CPUs.

socialfox

Distinguished
Hey no need to feel sorry, we were all once new to this.
Anyways these are the front panel connectors:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Zsj3wrJMsgQ/T1zBwCE0TNI/AAAAAAAAAUw/ISDPg13d56w/s640/front_panel.jpg

If this was a newly constructed build then you may not have installed these connectors (as seen in the image) to your motherboard. In addition, they need to be installed in a specific way which is outlined in your motherboard manual.

Also did you mean the computer wont turn on at all or just wont post?
I believe post means "power on self test." I believe the motherboard performs some tests to make sure everything is working fine at the bios splashscreen, if stuck at it you may have an older bios revision. If the computer wont turn on at all then forget about the bios.

Also did you make sure you connected the 8 pin power connector to the slot on the motherboard?

Edit: here is something about POST
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

dekoNN

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Yeah the computer won't turn on at all, i thought i did the front connectors like in the manual but ill check again, and i just check my 8pin connector and it is plugged in.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well if all that's done could be a defective power supply. I have owned the VP-450 (Antec) and I can tell you Antec builds real nice power supplies consisting of good quality parts. You could have gotten an unlucky one? State the model of your power supply.

dekoNN

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
ok so i fixe the front connectors and now it turned on, however, its just a black screen anbd i just hear my fan turning off and on over and over again. Is this the POST screen you were talking about?

socialfox

Distinguished
Have you connected the DVI/VGA connector from the video card to the monitor?

Edit: Also if that is done it probably is the motherboard bios version. Probably needs an update. Do you have any other processors that will work with it?