Program Menu Sorting... and UN sorting

Hey all. Let me say right off that I'm not very enthused with XP.
I was happy running Win2K but got this laptop that runs XP Pro SP1.
I have no intention of losing all the drivers by installing a
different OS tho.

However... changed the Program menu to Classic view.
I loathe the way XP sorts everything with items that have submenus
first. I can't seem to right click on the menu items to move them
tho, and much as it claims to, XP is not strictly sorting alphabetically;
it is sorting programs with submenus alphabetically and then sorting single
item links slphabetically beneath them. So, my question is this;

First is there a way to make XP leave the damn Program menu alone?

Second is there a way to change the sequence of Programs in the registry
without using the right click which I apparently can't do on this system
to the listed Programs?

thanks,
Overlord
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
7 answers Last reply
More about program menu sorting sorting

    To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
    Services to obtain the fix.

    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/overview.asp

    The sorting method is changed in Windows XP. The method that is used for
    sorting is described at the following MSDN Web site:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/Shell/reference/shlwapi/string/strcmplogicalw.asp

    Incorrect Sort Order in Windows Explorer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q318872

    The sorting method is changed in Windows XP. The method that is used for
    sorting is described at the following MSDN Web site: StrCmpLogicalW Function

    Change the Sort Order Back to W2K Style (Line 107)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    Sort All by Alphabet - Start Menu and Fav's (Line 196)

    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all. Let me say right off that I'm not very enthused with XP.
    > I was happy running Win2K but got this laptop that runs XP Pro SP1.
    > I have no intention of losing all the drivers by installing a
    > different OS tho.
    >
    > However... changed the Program menu to Classic view.
    > I loathe the way XP sorts everything with items that have submenus
    > first. I can't seem to right click on the menu items to move them
    > tho, and much as it claims to, XP is not strictly sorting alphabetically;
    > it is sorting programs with submenus alphabetically and then sorting
    > single
    > item links slphabetically beneath them. So, my question is this;
    >
    > First is there a way to make XP leave the damn Program menu alone?
    >
    > Second is there a way to change the sequence of Programs in the registry
    > without using the right click which I apparently can't do on this system
    > to the listed Programs?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Overlord
    > ~~~~~~
    > Bait for spammers:
    > root@localhost
    > postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost
    > abuse@localhost
    > postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > ~~~~~~
    > Remove "spamless" to email me.

    If you're unable to right-click on the items, you need to access the 'Start Menu & Taskbar Properties' dialog:

    'Start Menu' tab -> 'Customize...' button -> check 'Enable dragging and dropping'

    this will allow you to drag each item up or down to place it in the order you want.

    Keith

    "Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4248e500.6507375@news.central.cox.net...
    > Hey all. Let me say right off that I'm not very enthused with XP.
    > I was happy running Win2K but got this laptop that runs XP Pro SP1.
    > I have no intention of losing all the drivers by installing a
    > different OS tho.
    >
    > However... changed the Program menu to Classic view.
    > I loathe the way XP sorts everything with items that have submenus
    > first. I can't seem to right click on the menu items to move them
    > tho, and much as it claims to, XP is not strictly sorting alphabetically;
    > it is sorting programs with submenus alphabetically and then sorting single
    > item links slphabetically beneath them. So, my question is this;
    >
    > First is there a way to make XP leave the damn Program menu alone?
    >
    > Second is there a way to change the sequence of Programs in the registry
    > without using the right click which I apparently can't do on this system
    > to the listed Programs?
    >
    > thanks,
    > Overlord
    > ~~~~~~
    > Bait for spammers:
    > root@localhost
    > postmaster@localhost
    > admin@localhost
    > abuse@localhost
    > postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    > uce@ftc.gov
    > ~~~~~~
    > Remove "spamless" to email me.

    If your right click menu is missing.....

    XP Start Menu >>
    Right click the Start button | Properties |
    Start Menu tab | Customize button | Advanced tab |
    Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
    OK | OK

    Classic Start Menu >>
    Right click the Start button | Properties |
    Start Menu tab | Customize button |
    Scroll down to and Check: ? Enable dragging and dropping |
    OK | OK

    [[Specifies whether you can drag items to the Start
    menu.]] Also disables right click menu if UNChecked.
    ----

    If XP Pro...

    You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
    location to configure Start menu features:
    User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
    Policies\Explorer
    The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
    of 0 is disabled.

    Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
    dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
    enabled.
    Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:4248e500.6507375@news.central.cox.net,
    Overlord <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:

    "Overlord" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize:
    >However... changed the Program menu to Classic view.
    >I loathe the way XP sorts everything with items that have submenus
    >first. I can't seem to right click on the menu items to move them
    >tho,

    You want to LEFT click and drag, not right click.

    Make sure in Taskbar Properties | Customize that "Enable Dragging
    and Dropping" is checked.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Ahhh.... Much better.
    Thankee kindly!

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:03:55 -0600, "Keith Miller" <k.miller79@verizon.net> wrote:

    >If you're unable to right-click on the items, you need to access the =
    >'Start Menu & Taskbar Properties' dialog:
    >
    >'Start Menu' tab -> 'Customize...' button -> check 'Enable dragging and =
    >dropping'
    >
    >this will allow you to drag each item up or down to place it in the =
    >order you want.
    >
    >Keith
    >

    >"Overlord" <kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com> wrote in message =
    >> Hey all. Let me say right off that I'm not very enthused with XP.
    >> I was happy running Win2K but got this laptop that runs XP Pro SP1.
    >> I have no intention of losing all the drivers by installing a
    >> different OS tho.
    >>=20
    >> However... changed the Program menu to Classic view.
    >> I loathe the way XP sorts everything with items that have submenus
    >> first. I can't seem to right click on the menu items to move them
    >> tho, and much as it claims to, XP is not strictly sorting =
    >alphabetically;
    >> it is sorting programs with submenus alphabetically and then sorting =
    >single
    >> item links slphabetically beneath them. So, my question is this;
    >>=20
    >> First is there a way to make XP leave the damn Program menu alone?
    >>=20
    >> Second is there a way to change the sequence of Programs in the =
    >registry
    >> without using the right click which I apparently can't do on this =
    >system
    >> to the listed Programs?
    >>=20
    >> thanks,
    >> Overlord
    ~~~~~~
    Bait for spammers:
    root@localhost
    postmaster@localhost
    admin@localhost
    abuse@localhost
    postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
    uce@ftc.gov
    ~~~~~~
    Remove "spamless" to email me.

    You're welcome.

    Keith

    "Stan Brown" wrote:

    > You want to LEFT click and drag, not right click.

    not to worry, it's okay to right click as well... just gives you more options

    btw, when you right click an item and drop it somewhere, the bold-faced item
    in the pop-up menu is the same action that would have occured if you had
    left-clicked and dropped.

    John Morales
    Iguana Gurus
    Milwaukee, WI