Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Overheating PNY 9400GT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 22, 2012 3:36:48 AM

Hi Community, my PNY 9400GT 512 DDR2 graphics card is overheating in my Gateway SX2800 (only 220 psu). The fan doesn't run, when i turn it on it movies very slowly like a snail, then stops. How can i fix this? is there something i can download to control the speed and make it move?

More about : overheating pny 9400gt

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 3:49:07 AM

Sounds kinda the fan of your GPU died, it is pretty old i have to say, there solutions, temporal fix and kind of..

The 1st thing i would do is getting a newer GPU, theres a bunch new cards that uses less power and perform better.

If you can't get anything right now, you can always keep your GPU alive adding a small case fan, lets say a 90mm x90mm fan to a gpu with zips (do this careful) and connect this fan to a molex connector to your PSU, so it will spin at its full speed and cool the GPU....

Also theres some coolers/fans in onlie stores but for 20 bucks or more, it doesnt look apealing spending on them to get back your GPU, getting a $60 GPU will do great for HD movies and uses less power in most cases...
m
0
l
May 22, 2012 3:57:54 AM

horaciopz said:
Sounds kinda the fan of your GPU died, it is pretty old i have to say, there solutions, temporal fix and kind of..

The 1st thing i would do is getting a newer GPU, theres a bunch new cards that uses less power and perform better.

If you can't get anything right now, you can always keep your GPU alive adding a small case fan, lets say a 90mm x90mm fan to a gpu with zips (do this careful) and connect this fan to a molex connector to your PSU, so it will spin at its full speed and cool the GPU....

Also theres some coolers/fans in onlie stores but for 20 bucks or more, it doesnt look apealing spending on them to get back your GPU, getting a $60 GPU will do great for HD movies and uses less power in most cases...


I don't think the fan died, my friend was using it a few days ago and it was perfectly fine :/ 
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 4:09:43 AM

Theres a software

MSI Afterburner, you can use it and try to change the Fan speed, maybe it helps...

But I still think that the fan is dead or dying, for the time, i have seen cards from the series GT 200 with fans dead, so the series GT 9000 which is older would not surprise me... Thats normal with cards, the fan is always the one that dies then if not solved with time the card died...

Do that, use MSI Afterburner and try if you make the fan spin, but still strongly suggest you, get a new card sir :) 

Share
May 22, 2012 4:16:47 AM

horaciopz said:
Theres a software

MSI Afterburner, you can use it and try to change the Fan speed, maybe it helps...

But I still think that the fan is dead or dying, for the time, i have seen cards from the series GT 200 with fans dead, so the series GT 9000 which is older would not surprise me... Thats normal with cards, the fan is always the one that dies then if not solved with time the card died...

Do that, use MSI Afterburner and try if you make the fan spin, but still strongly suggest you, get a new card sir :) 


Ill try MSI now, if it does not work, is it possible my 220 psu is not enough to power the fan?
m
0
l
May 22, 2012 4:16:53 AM

Best answer selected by msazndragon.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 4:22:52 AM

if your PSU is not enough to run a card it would run the fan only but wouldn't even boot, because the fan is the one that uses less power...

If you want, you can try your GPU into another PC and see how it works... SOMETIMES PSU gives problems if are too weak or old, but its weird to see that only the fan of a GPU becomes slow and then stops for a weak PSU, normally there would be random restarts, shut downs untill the PSU gets cool or the worst case, simply the PSU overvolgate any component and fry it also dying itself..
m
0
l
May 22, 2012 4:40:23 AM

horaciopz said:
Theres a software

MSI Afterburner, you can use it and try to change the Fan speed, maybe it helps...

But I still think that the fan is dead or dying, for the time, i have seen cards from the series GT 200 with fans dead, so the series GT 9000 which is older would not surprise me... Thats normal with cards, the fan is always the one that dies then if not solved with time the card died...

Do that, use MSI Afterburner and try if you make the fan spin, but still strongly suggest you, get a new card sir :) 


Msi did not work :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  , is there any other softwares to try?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 4:43:23 AM

EVGA precision but does the same and works with most Geforce cards... Dude, just add a case fan to it and survive until you can get another GPU...
m
0
l
May 22, 2012 5:19:28 AM

horaciopz said:
EVGA precision but does the same and works with most Geforce cards... Dude, just add a case fan to it and survive until you can get another GPU...


the fan moves, but still slow, first steps to success?
m
0
l
!