Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Components Compatibility

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 14, 2012 10:53:58 PM

hi every one
I am planning to build the first computer built by my hands. I've searched for a while in the Internet, and found these which may be good to my budget :

Mother Board : Asus P9X79 DELUXE
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/P9X7...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor : Intel Core i7-3770K
http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K...(8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graphic Card : GeForce GTX 560 Ti
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ram : Corsair Vengeance Black 16 GB
But I am not certain between the 2x8GB or 4x4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Vs.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I think the 2x8GB would better because I may be able to exploit the other slots for different stuff, but I think these two kits might be under a big stress than the 4 kits, and the problem of heat is going to be worse with them
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Memory : WD Black Caviar 500GB 64MB Cache
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case : Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6693
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

power Supply : Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 850W
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6742
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Fan : X6 Elite
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6798
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chipset Fan : Blue Ice
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3875
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope I forgot noting


The problem is that I am not fully sure that these components are fit and compatible. The tutorial here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls
uses the Asus motherboard (P9X79), with (Intel Core i7-2600K Processor). However, when I checked the compatibility of those two parts, the website of Intel shows that the processor isn't compatible with neither (Intel X79) nor (Intel C602) chipsets.
http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K...(8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz)

So can anybody explain that ?!

Best solution

July 14, 2012 11:01:26 PM

You need a Z77 motherboard. There were two builds there and neither one used a X79 board (they both used P67, actually and X79 didn't even exist when that was made).

You're right that the 3770K isn't compatible with X79. It's LGA 1155 and a x79 board is LGA 2011. Totally incompatible.

So, a Z77 board, NOT a X79 board.

Beyond that, I suggest a lower wattage, better quality PSU like this SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Share
July 15, 2012 12:18:10 AM

a 3770k does not have a separate Northbridge, so you won't need the chipset fan either.

As one more note, just because you use 2 sticks of RAM instead of 4, you won't be able to add a wireless adapter...those go in PCI slots, not DIMM slots.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 15, 2012 9:36:46 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You need a Z77 motherboard. There were two builds there and neither one used a X79 board (they both used P67, actually and X79 didn't even exist when that was made).

You're right that the 3770K isn't compatible with X79. It's LGA 1155 and a x79 board is LGA 2011. Totally incompatible.

So, a Z77 board, NOT a X79 board.

Beyond that, I suggest a lower wattage, better quality PSU like this SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply



Thanks a lot my friend :) . Don't you think a Q77 motherboard like this one will be also good ?! I mean like these two :
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Q7...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And what about this Z77, will it be fit ?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the PSU, I heard that a higher wattage might be better to avoid lack of enough wattage to run the computer. Isn't that right ?!
So will this 700W PSU be enough to run my computer ?
And how can I determine the wattage I need for any computer I am going to build in the future ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I change the mother board only, is everything going to work fine, or do I need to change anything else like the GPU and any other stuff ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for many questions and thanks in advance :D 
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 9:45:46 AM

Temile said:
a 3770k does not have a separate Northbridge, so you won't need the chipset fan either.

As one more note, just because you use 2 sticks of RAM instead of 4, you won't be able to add a wireless adapter...those go in PCI slots, not DIMM slots.


About the stick I've just knew that after I submitted the thread.

And about the Chipset fan, I didn't didn't really understand you since I am a beginner in Hardware, because I didn't understand why there's no need for the chipset fan when the chipset is integrated in the motherboard.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And what about the compatibility of the parts I chose ?! Are they just fine if I change the motherboard the this one of Gigabyte which has an LGA 1155 socket to make fit with the CPU, or do I need to change anything else ?!

Thanks in advance
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 11:20:05 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 11:32:32 AM

BProgrammer said:
Thanks a lot my friend :) . Don't you think a Q77 motherboard like this one will be also good ?! I mean like these two :
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Q7...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And what about this Z77, will it be fit ?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the PSU, I heard that a higher wattage might be better to avoid lack of enough wattage to run the computer. Isn't that right ?!
So will this 700W PSU be enough to run my computer ?
And how can I determine the wattage I need for any computer I am going to build in the future ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I change the mother board only, is everything going to work fine, or do I need to change anything else like the GPU and any other stuff ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for many questions and thanks in advance :D 


Yeah, a Q77 board will work too. And that Gigabyte Z77 is fine, as well.

As far as the PSU goes, you don't need anything more than what I linked if you never plan to SLI, but if you do, I suggest a 650-700W unit. You can use this PSU calculator to help you with wattage requirements. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp Most people WAY overestimate what they really need.

Everything else is compatible, if you change the mobo, but like Temile said, there's no need for the chipset fan. Even if there WAS a Northbridge, it wouldn't really get hot enough to need a dedicated fan anyway.
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 8:12:50 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yeah, a Q77 board will work too. And that Gigabyte Z77 is fine, as well.

As far as the PSU goes, you don't need anything more than what I linked if you never plan to SLI, but if you do, I suggest a 650-700W unit. You can use this PSU calculator to help you with wattage requirements. http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp Most people WAY overestimate what they really need.

Everything else is compatible, if you change the mobo, but like Temile said, there's no need for the chipset fan. Even if there WAS a Northbridge, it wouldn't really get hot enough to need a dedicated fan anyway.


Thanks a lot.

But how can I check the compatibility of the GPU since the company doesn't provide information about as I checked their website ??
And what about if I use this GPU : Geforce gtx 570 instead of 560 ti ?!

I couldn't find the PSU you posted its link here in my country, so I may take this :
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6804
m
0
l
July 15, 2012 8:34:01 PM

The GPU will be compatible (any will), don't worry about that.

Cooler Master PSU's aren't the best and we don't recommend them around here, but if that's all you can find, then I guess you're kinda stuck with it.

Try looking for a Corsair, Antenc, another SeaSonic, Silverstone, or PC Power & Coolong unit.
m
0
l
July 16, 2012 7:26:46 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The GPU will be compatible (any will), don't worry about that.

Cooler Master PSU's aren't the best and we don't recommend them around here, but if that's all you can find, then I guess you're kinda stuck with it.

Try looking for a Corsair, Antenc, another SeaSonic, Silverstone, or PC Power & Coolong unit.



aha
Thanks very much
I'll try to check around if I can find one of these companies :) 

thanks again
m
0
l
July 26, 2012 1:56:40 PM

Best answer selected by BProgrammer.
m
0
l
!