How to kill special and "File and Folder Tasks", and other..

In a folder view in the left pane are filetype specific actions, File And
Folder Tasks, and Other/Common places panes. I'd like to kill all of that
except the Details pane (the only one I find useful), so saying "Turn off
web-view" isn't the solution requested. Anyone know how I can remove these
panes? Is it a reg tweak or a template file somewhere? Thanks in advance.

--
jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]

    Hi,

    To turn off the common tasks pane, click on tools>folder options and on the general tab, select 'Use
    windows classic folders'.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    On 3/29/2005 7:24 AM Anando [MS-MVP] cranked up the brainbox and said:
    > Hi,
    >
    > To turn off the common tasks pane, click on tools>folder options and on the general tab, select 'Use
    > windows classic folders'.

    Did you read my message?

    > saying "Turn off web-view" isn't the solution requested

    Again, I'm looking to disable the filetype specific panes, etc, everything but
    the Details pane. Your solution kills that entire frame, which is not the
    solution.

    --
    jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]

    Hi,

    It is not possible to turn off individual 'frames'. Either you can turn off the entire common-tasks
    pane, or none of it.

    --

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:17:44 GMT, jesus X wrote:

    > In a folder view in the left pane are filetype specific actions, File And
    > Folder Tasks, and Other/Common places panes. I'd like to kill all of that
    > except the Details pane (the only one I find useful), so saying "Turn off
    > web-view" isn't the solution requested. Anyone know how I can remove these
    > panes? Is it a reg tweak or a template file somewhere? Thanks in advance.

    Each section of the common tasks area has a chevron to the right of the
    title. Click to close that section. Leave Details exposed since that's the
    section that you want to keep in view. I use the "remember settings for
    each folder" setting in Folder Options and changes to sections
    (opened/closed) are persisting each time I open the folder.

    This workaround doesn't remove the other sections but at least it keeps
    Details in view.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    The style of the common tasks area is controlled by shellstyle.dll, found here:

    C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\Luna\Shell\NormalColor

    You'll need the patched uxtheme.dll file if you want to use modified style dlls.

    I know it can be edited because I've done it - see here:

    http://mysite.verizon.net/res18hr7/comtasks.jpg

    The settings are in UIFILE -> 1 within shellstyles.dll. Grab yourself a resource editor and check it out. I don't know if you eliminated the style for an entire section if it would disappear, or just use a default style. Another possibility would be designating the areas you don't want as transparent & setting the text color = background color.

    Start googling for shellstyles.dll and UIFILE and you should get some leads. Try it out & let us know.

    Keith

    On 3/29/2005 9:09 PM Anando [MS-MVP] cranked up the brainbox and said:
    > Hi,
    >
    > It is not possible to turn off individual 'frames'. Either you can turn
    > off the entire common-tasks pane, or none of it.

    I'll wait for other answers. I've seen you make mistakes like this before,
    saying "it can't be done".

    --
    jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]

    Well, Windows does not offer you any means through which you can completely turn off one of the
    sections in the common tasks pane, although you can go ahead and hack the uxtheme.dll file to make
    this happen. I dont have any specific info about how this may be done. Good luck !

    --

    "jesus X" <jesus_x@mozillanews.org> wrote in message news:Qrp2e.23119$wL6.20305@trnddc03...
    > On 3/29/2005 9:09 PM Anando [MS-MVP] cranked up the brainbox and said:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> It is not possible to turn off individual 'frames'. Either you can turn
    >> off the entire common-tasks pane, or none of it.
    >
    > I'll wait for other answers. I've seen you make mistakes like this before,
    > saying "it can't be done".
    >
    > --
    > jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    > email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    > web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    > insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    > warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]

    He is an idiot Anando, don't worry about him.

    On 3/30/2005 4:11 AM Keith Miller cranked up the brainbox and said:
    > The style of the common tasks area is controlled by shellstyle.dll...
    > Start googling for shellstyles.dll and UIFILE and you should get some
    > leads. Try it out & let us know.

    Aha! I was poking around in duser.dll to start, so thanks for the tip. I'll
    definitely post an update when I poke about in shellstyles and such then,
    thanks a bunch.

    --
    jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    On 3/30/2005 6:13 AM David Candy cranked up the brainbox and said:
    > He is an idiot Anando, don't worry about him.

    No, I'm not an idiot. I just happen to have seen several "MVP" posters over
    the years who immediately say "can't be done" when the items in question can
    be done. Like disabling System File Protection, user-made theming, etc. Just
    because a thing may not be easy or sanctioned my MS doesn't mean it can't be done.

    --
    jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    MVPs try and suggest ways to fix broken things, and not recommend ways to mess up machines, such as
    disabling SFP.

    To learn more about MVPs, please visit the following sites:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org
    http://www.dts-l.org

    --

    "jesus X" <jesus_x@mozillanews.org> wrote in message news:knI2e.57074$hA3.35533@trnddc09...
    > On 3/30/2005 6:13 AM David Candy cranked up the brainbox and said:
    >> He is an idiot Anando, don't worry about him.
    >
    > No, I'm not an idiot. I just happen to have seen several "MVP" posters over
    > the years who immediately say "can't be done" when the items in question can
    > be done. Like disabling System File Protection, user-made theming, etc. Just
    > because a thing may not be easy or sanctioned my MS doesn't mean it can't be done.
    >
    > --
    > jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    > email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    > web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    > insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    > warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    D00D!!! You need instructions for Russian Roulette? 8-P

    It's kewl and a bigger adrenalin rush. For the most part.

    --
    Walter Clayton

    "jesus X" <jesus_x@mozillanews.org> wrote in message
    > On 3/30/2005 6:13 AM David Candy cranked up the brainbox and said:
    >> He is an idiot Anando, don't worry about him.
    >
    > No, I'm not an idiot. I just happen to have seen several "MVP" posters
    > over
    > the years who immediately say "can't be done" when the items in question
    > can
    > be done. Like disabling System File Protection, user-made theming, etc.
    > Just
    > because a thing may not be easy or sanctioned my MS doesn't mean it can't
    > be done.
    >
    > --
    > jesus X [ Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism. ]
    > email [ jesus_x @ mozillanews.org ]
    > web [ http://www.mozillanews.org ]
    > insult [ As usual, you've been a real pantload. ]
    > warning [ Don't touch that! You might mutate your fingers. ]
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    "jesus X" <jesus_x@mozillanews.org> wrote in message
    > On 3/30/2005 6:13 AM David Candy cranked up the brainbox and said:
    >> He is an idiot Anando, don't worry about him.
    >
    > No, I'm not an idiot. I just happen to have seen several "MVP" posters
    > over
    > the years who immediately say "can't be done" when the items in question
    > can
    > be done. Like disabling System File Protection, user-made theming, etc.
    > Just
    > because a thing may not be easy or sanctioned my MS doesn't mean it can't
    > be done.

    I think you have to keep in mind that most of the questions being posted to
    this newsgroup are pretty entry-level. If the solution involves more than 3
    clicks and changing a couple of registry entries, sometimes you're better
    off telling users they might as well forget about it. In this respect, I
    think the MVPs posting in this group are helpful and doing a fine job.

    Otherwise, yeah, there's nothing that technically "can't be done" and the
    solution to every problem would be something along the lines of "of course
    it can be done, but it involves hacking system files or writing your own
    kernel32.dll". That is NOT good advice. Telling people to disable System
    File Protection is NOT good advice (it's there for a good reason). Telling
    people to use tools that hack system files for the sake of user-made themes
    is NOT good advice (system files can be changed by a hotfix or service pack,
    then the hacking tools create invalid files until they can be updated).

Configuration Customization Windows XP