Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire causing low FPS with Everything.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 22, 2012 6:26:22 AM

I'm not exactly sure if someone else has already asked this specific question. I've been searching for awhile and no one seems to have the same exact issue.
Anyhow, Here are my pc's specs to start off:

AMD Phenom II x4 975 [3.6 gh/z] oc'd @ 4.0 gh/z
ASRock A770DE+ Motherboard
8GB G. Skull Ram
2x HIS HD 6870 IceQ Edition in Crossfire
1000watt Rosewill Bronze Series RBR1000-M
Running Windows 7 64bit
Catalyst Control Center 12.4
Also I should note that i'm running Eyefinity 4800x900

So now to the issue,
Whenever I have Crossfire enabled between the two GPU's, I get a HUGE decrease in frame rates with every game I play. It doesn't matter if it's a game that has the AMD profiles activated or whatever. I could have the profile activated and it still has horrible frame rates with my Eyefinity setup. Now with that being said, I tried disabling Crossfire and playing the game. With It disabled, with every game I have, I get roughly 3/4 increase in frame rates than in Crossfire. All of my drivers are up to date, and I checked all of my games by Validating Integrity of the Game. Still no luck.

For instance, in Skyrim with my crossfire cards I'll get roughly 20-30FPS. With my single card I get around 60-70 even under heavy loads. I have over 150+ Games I've paid for on steam and I tried a lot of them to see if my frame rates drop in crossfire vs Single gpu and needless to say, they drop hard. I was just curious if anyone has figured out a way to fix this or if it's tough luck.

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to look at my post.
Cheers.
May 22, 2012 7:12:28 AM

have you tried rolling back to a previous version of catalyst like 12.2 or 12.3? You should also test out the cards independently to see if one of them has problems. If both of those don't produce any results you could also try a new CrossFire bridge, it could also be the possibility that your 2nd PCI-E slot went bad...

Just some suggestions.

Also I just looked at the spec's of your board....even though it technically supports crossfire, it's really not designed to since the orange PCI-E slot is only 4x.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 7:13:25 AM

I have the same exact problems with 2x6950 and it all started only when I downloaded and installed 12.4. This catalyst version is odd because the version remains at 12.3 but I know the 12.4 took effect because I got better performance.

The glitch is that when I first boot up my system with crossfire enabled, I only get ~15fps in skyrim in 5912x1080. But I discovered that if I disable the crossfire & re-enabled it, it will work fine & get ~60fps. I also notice that if I exit my logitech keyboard driver, I do not have to disable/re-enable crossfire & my system works fine with ~60fps. But because I use the G15 logitech keyboard to display my cpu/ram utilization while gaming, I just bother with disable/re-enabling cross fire.

I hope this helps somehow.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 7:30:47 AM

not sure, but i have to say that 12.4 drivers really are bad =X, i recently updated to it from 12.3 and my screen doesn't turn on if it sleeps, though my problem is only minor as all i need to do is turn of screen sleeping mode.
m
l
May 22, 2012 8:00:15 AM

@randomkid
Well, I turn off my crossfire and re-enable it all the time to judge each one of my games preformance just incase it was a game that didn't support crossfire very well.

@dudewitbow
I tried jumping back, maybe it's because I jumped back quite far. I looked around and someone said something about 11.12a I think it was. I guess someone had the same issue and jumped to that so I tested it out and I didn't really get much help there.

I mean, if I can't figure out the issue, it's not the end of the world. I'll just give my 2nd GPU to a friend of mine. I just already have a spare card I was going to lend him but if I can't make use of the second card, I'll just give him that one instead since It's newer. At the moment the only thing I can think of is if I changed mobo's. I looked around and noticed that someone else has the issue with the same mobo so maybe it's that? I mainly dug around after Joaompp's suggestion.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 8:13:34 AM

Mooreka956 said:
@randomkid
Well, I turn off my crossfire and re-enable it all the time to judge each one of my games preformance just incase it was a game that didn't support crossfire very well.

Do you have any fancy mouse or keyboard with some kind of manager? If yes, try closing ( exit ) those when in crossfire.

Mooreka956 said:
I mean, if I can't figure out the issue, it's not the end of the world. I'll just give my 2nd GPU to a friend of mine. I just already have a spare card I was going to lend him but if I can't make use of the second card, I'll just give him that one instead since It's newer. At the moment the only thing I can think of is if I changed mobo's. I looked around and noticed that someone else has the issue with the same mobo so maybe it's that? I mainly dug around after Joaompp's suggestion.

Gosh... your friend is lucky. But I still hope you get to make it work, though.
m
l
May 22, 2012 8:31:00 AM

quick tip for AMD boards, i've noticed only the boards ending in "X" support x8/x8 crossfire and "FX" support 3+ crossfire (x16/x16 or x8/x8/x8/x8 configurations and every where in between).
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 9:29:32 AM

your motherboard, 16x/4x pcie slots are not good for xfire. 8x/8x or 16x/16x are what you want. If i were you id try using Driversweeper to remove all display drivers in safe mode, and re-install only the latest driver. I would suggest selling both cards and investing in a 6950 or something. you could try upgrading your motherboard, but its a lot of money to spend when crossfire/sli doesnt give great results much of the time due to compatibility with games/stuttering etc.
m
l
!