sikkwun

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
Asus SK8V or Asus SK8N for socket940. I know that the SK8N has the 600mhz HT and only 8bit upstream but you can overclock the processor. Also which video card should i use with each board. I would assume you use nvidia technology with the nvidia chipset..thanks for the help

endyen

Splendid
Are you going to be using an opteron?
The old nforce chipset has trouble with the pci lock, no guarantees for OCing. It is still better than the via chipset. I should say, in 3D, while the via is a little better in open gl.
If this not for a server, the registered mem is too expensive, and a bit of a bottleneck.

sikkwun

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
no this isn't going to be a operton i'm just using it for probably a fx chip. I do have a bit of money so the registered ram won't be a problem. I do alot of things on my computer. I do game, I do Video Editing, Programing. So i'm trying to build a computer that is powerful.

endyen

Splendid
If I had "a bit of money", I would get the Asus A8N Sli- Deluxe board, a Winchester core, and a couple of 6800gt graphics cards. I OC a bit, so I would get the 3200, but if not, the 3500 would do nicely.
I like the single chip chipset, and how cool the winchester cores run.
As it is, I have a s754 clocked to 2.45ghz, and most FX chips have a tough time keeping up. The only chips that play nicer are the winchester core 90 nano chips.

sikkwun

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2004
well i have no choice i have a s940 cpu...my dad got it for me....so i need to know what motherboard i should go with? Thanks for the help