desktop shortcuts

There are two users of Windows XP on one computer. Some newly installed
programs create shortcuts on both users' desktops. If a user who doesn't
need that program deletes the shortcut from his screen, it is also deleted
from the other user's screen. How can we individualize the set of shortcuts
on each of our screens without disturbing the other?
4 answers Last reply
More about desktop shortcuts

    Place appropriate shortcuts in documents and settings|*user name
    here*|desktop. The shortcuts you refer to have placed themselves in the all
    users|desktop folder.

    "laurel&hardy" <laurel&hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > There are two users of Windows XP on one computer. Some newly installed
    > programs create shortcuts on both users' desktops. If a user who doesn't
    > need that program deletes the shortcut from his screen, it is also deleted
    > from the other user's screen. How can we individualize the set of
    > shortcuts
    > on each of our screens without disturbing the other?

    The Desktop each of you sees are really two folders.

    When Laurel is logged on they see both
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    and
    C:\Documents and Settings\Laurel\Desktop

    When Hardy is logged on they see both
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    and
    C:\Documents and Settings\Hardy\Desktop

    Move the shortcuts out of
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    to the appropriate folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\Laurel\Desktop
    or
    C:\Documents and Settings\Hardy\Desktop

    Loved your movies.

    Installing and running software in Windows XP
    http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm

    [[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be installed and
    used in a Windows XP system.]]

    Subjects include:
    1. Installing software for everybody
    2. Running software in limited user accounts
    3. Restricting access to some programs
    4. FAQ's and issues
    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B810CD47-CEEC-4025-987A-67ECDBEE22C1@microsoft.com,
    laurel&hardy <laurel&hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > There are two users of Windows XP on one computer. Some newly
    > installed programs create shortcuts on both users' desktops. If a
    > user who doesn't need that program deletes the shortcut from his
    > screen, it is also deleted from the other user's screen. How can we
    > individualize the set of shortcuts on each of our screens without
    > disturbing the other?

    Thank you, Wes, for the full explanation. Mission accomplished.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > The Desktop each of you sees are really two folders.
    >
    > When Laurel is logged on they see both
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    > and
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Laurel\Desktop
    >
    > When Hardy is logged on they see both
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    > and
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Hardy\Desktop
    >
    > Move the shortcuts out of
    > C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    > to the appropriate folder
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Laurel\Desktop
    > or
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Hardy\Desktop
    >
    > Loved your movies.
    >
    > Installing and running software in Windows XP
    > http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >
    > [[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be installed and
    > used in a Windows XP system.]]
    >
    > Subjects include:
    > 1. Installing software for everybody
    > 2. Running software in limited user accounts
    > 3. Restricting access to some programs
    > 4. FAQ's and issues
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:B810CD47-CEEC-4025-987A-67ECDBEE22C1@microsoft.com,
    > laurel&hardy <laurel&hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > There are two users of Windows XP on one computer. Some newly
    > > installed programs create shortcuts on both users' desktops. If a
    > > user who doesn't need that program deletes the shortcut from his
    > > screen, it is also deleted from the other user's screen. How can we
    > > individualize the set of shortcuts on each of our screens without
    > > disturbing the other?

    I love it when a plan comes together. Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2A3FED75-2FC2-4595-942F-9ECD232DC511@microsoft.com,
    laurel&hardy <laurel&hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thank you, Wes, for the full explanation. Mission accomplished.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> The Desktop each of you sees are really two folders.
    >>
    >> When Laurel is logged on they see both
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >> and
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Laurel\Desktop
    >>
    >> When Hardy is logged on they see both
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >> and
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Hardy\Desktop
    >>
    >> Move the shortcuts out of
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    >> to the appropriate folder
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Laurel\Desktop
    >> or
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\Hardy\Desktop
    >>
    >> Loved your movies.
    >>
    >> Installing and running software in Windows XP
    >> http://www.rickrogers.org/xpsware.htm
    >>
    >> [[This page is an attempt to explain how software should be
    >> installed and used in a Windows XP system.]]
    >>
    >> Subjects include:
    >> 1. Installing software for everybody
    >> 2. Running software in limited user accounts
    >> 3. Restricting access to some programs
    >> 4. FAQ's and issues
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:B810CD47-CEEC-4025-987A-67ECDBEE22C1@microsoft.com,
    >> laurel&hardy <laurel&hardy@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    >> pecked:
    >>> There are two users of Windows XP on one computer. Some newly
    >>> installed programs create shortcuts on both users' desktops. If a
    >>> user who doesn't need that program deletes the shortcut from his
    >>> screen, it is also deleted from the other user's screen. How can we
    >>> individualize the set of shortcuts on each of our screens without
    >>> disturbing the other?

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP