Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How to tell if your video card is going bad

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
May 22, 2012 9:34:59 AM

I've been having issues with some things for a while now, but never thought to ask about them, til now...

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/xxxjdmjay/IMAG...

Above is what happens when I use prt scr to take a screen shot of my screen, uploaded to paint, then took a picture with my phone (it would show up normal to everyone else.

Below is just a picture of the same thing as above, that i just took with my phone

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/xxxjdmjay/IMAG...


The next 4 are mess ups in The Sims 3
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/xxxjdmjay/sims...
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/xxxjdmjay/IMAG...
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/xxxjdmjay/IMAG...
http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/xxxjdmjay/IMAG...

All of the above were taken with my cell phone, but that's how they all appear on my side.


Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit, RADEON 9550 video card (AGP) ( I know, outdated badly, but these are my only issues...)

And yes, I have the latest driver (Diamond Radeon x1050)

Oh, and there are slight issues when installing programs, I get the same glitchy look ALL over my screen, when I have to click that I did in fact start the process.

More about : video card bad

a c 1362 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 1:14:57 PM

Yes it really looks like your card is gone bad or has heat issues, only thing apart from replacing it is maybe clean the cooler on the card.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 1:28:10 PM

Honestly it likely needs to be cleaned.
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 1:30:20 PM

I can't recommend that you do this (i.e. I'm not responsible for any damage...), but it worked for my dying 8800GTX (four times bought be nearly 18 months of additional life but there are diminishing returns):

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics...
Score
0

Best solution

May 22, 2012 1:31:29 PM

First off make sure your dling your drivers from ATI and not the Manufacture. (you may be. I just wanted to put that out there). it does appear that your card however from the pictures did at some point over heat and now produces artifacts as a result. it's time for a new card. I would still make sure prior to replacing it that you are using the latest drivers from ati and not diamond.
Share
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 1:32:25 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
I can't recommend that you do this (i.e. I'm not responsible for any damage...), but it worked for my dying 8800GTX (four times bought be nearly 18 months of additional life but there are diminishing returns):

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics...


IDK about this, the cx seems to have a memory issue and putting the card in warm over can repair solder but it won't help memory chips.
Score
0
May 22, 2012 8:18:42 PM

Before I get in to replying to you all, thanks for the responses.

rolli59 said:
Yes it really looks like your card is gone bad or has heat issues, only thing apart from replacing it is maybe clean the cooler on the card.


I did clean the card, about 3 weeks ago (there was a CRAP ton of dust :ange:  :pfff:  ) Almost to the point that my fan couldn't move. I had cleaned my computer before, but totally forgot there was a fan on there, so it never got cleaned til 3 weeks ago.

spentshells said:
Honestly it likely needs to be cleaned.

See above.

J_E_D_70 said:
I can't recommend that you do this (i.e. I'm not responsible for any damage...), but it worked for my dying 8800GTX (four times bought be nearly 18 months of additional life but there are diminishing returns):

http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics...


Um, I think this will be a "last resort." And yes, I know if I did this, the only person responsible for damage would be me :p 

sindawi said:
First off make sure your dling your drivers from ATI and not the Manufacture. (you may be. I just wanted to put that out there). it does appear that your card however from the pictures did at some point over heat and now produces artifacts as a result. it's time for a new card. I would still make sure prior to replacing it that you are using the latest drivers from ati and not diamond.


I went through device manager to get the latest drivers...should I go to ATI still?

spentshells said:
IDK about this, the cx seems to have a memory issue and putting the card in warm over can repair solder but it won't help memory chips.


I didn't see any solder issues, but then, they could be very small cracks. As I said, that option would be a last resort.




And to everyone, the stuff with the screen shots, has been happening for about 2+ years now (if not longer)

The Sims stuff I posted is fairly recently, as I just installed all that and started playing within the past couple weeks. (at first it played fine, then started doing all that.
Score
0
May 22, 2012 8:43:17 PM

Also, after going to amd's website, I noticed that while I have Diamond Radeon...I don't have catalyst, or any of that other stuff from amd....would that make a big deal?
Score
0
May 22, 2012 9:04:50 PM

xxxjdmjay said:
Also, after going to amd's website, I noticed that while I have Diamond Radeon...I don't have catalyst, or any of that other stuff from amd....would that make a big deal?


Get your driver updates from the AMD or Nvidia site depending on the card(in your case AMD). I personally don't like CCC-catalyst control center but it downloads with the driver updates and then I just uninstall it and use MSI afterburner (for OCing).
Score
0
May 22, 2012 9:49:01 PM

Best answer selected by xxxjdmjay.
Score
0
May 22, 2012 9:51:26 PM

sindawi said:
First off make sure your dling your drivers from ATI and not the Manufacture. (you may be. I just wanted to put that out there). it does appear that your card however from the pictures did at some point over heat and now produces artifacts as a result. it's time for a new card. I would still make sure prior to replacing it that you are using the latest drivers from ati and not diamond.


This was the case. Thanks SO much. I didn't think that was it, as my computer updated them. But getting the drivers from amd was the key.

johnsonma said:
Get your driver updates from the AMD or Nvidia site depending on the card(in your case AMD). I personally don't like CCC-catalyst control center but it downloads with the driver updates and then I just uninstall it and use MSI afterburner (for OCing).


Same as above. So I can uninstall that stupid catalyst bs and use something else for it, and keep my drivers?

Score
0
May 22, 2012 9:52:29 PM

Also, would afterburner work with an old as hell video card?!
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 9:54:52 PM

Another tip - download and run Driver Sweeper and CCleaner (including registry checker) after uninstalling your current drivers and before installing the new ones.

Be sure to have a good backup and let CCleaner backup your registry before making any changes.
Score
0
May 22, 2012 10:07:55 PM

J_E_D_70 said:
Another tip - download and run Driver Sweeper and CCleaner (including registry checker) after uninstalling your current drivers and before installing the new ones.

Be sure to have a good backup and let CCleaner backup your registry before making any changes.


I already have both of those programs, and run then at least once a month.

I didn't uninstall the current drivers though. I forgot to do that. But it still installed the new ones perfectly. and everything runs GREAT.
Score
0
May 23, 2012 2:14:42 AM

Glad to hear it was just the drivers
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 12:18:56 PM

xxxjdmjay said:
Before I get in to replying to you all, thanks for the responses.



I did clean the card, about 3 weeks ago (there was a CRAP ton of dust :ange:  :pfff:  ) Almost to the point that my fan couldn't move. I had cleaned my computer before, but totally forgot there was a fan on there, so it never got cleaned til 3 weeks ago.


See above.



I was thinking it needed a more elaborate cleaning, I take everything right apart, fans off sink and shroud off and washed but I am glad to hear it was only a minor issue.
Score
0
May 23, 2012 2:24:01 PM

xxxjdmjay said:
Also, would afterburner work with an old as hell video card?!


I am not entirely sure, I think it lists the series of cards that each version of MSI afterburner supports so you could check on their site. As far as uninstalling CCC, it wont cause any issues. Just make sure you only uninstall CCC.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
May 23, 2012 6:07:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!