Not sure if my Crossfire setup is working

saren

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hello guys. I got one Sapphire 5770 and a HiS 5770 as my CrossfireX setup.. Is there any problems with this? Because it seems like the only working graphic card is the Sapphire. Yesterday I opened my case and felt the heat from the first one (Sapphire), the HiS one was like just bit heated up. When I open HW-monitor it only shows the temperature of one GPU. What to do guys? :cry: Please help me solve this problem.. Ty

Hi

You should be able to check if crossfire is enabled or not by looking in the catalyst control centre, I believe its under Performance > Crossfire.
Or you could use a program called GPU-Z (Freeware) to check.

randomkid

Distinguished
First, make sure you configured the crossfire correctly:
1. Installed the graphics cards in the correct slots (what is you motherboard ? )
2. Connected the PCIe power cable to BOTH graphics cards.
3. Installed crossfire bridge.
If you have already done the above but still have the problem, try to install the graphics cards one by one & see if they both work as single cards.

saren

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Actually it's enabled in CCC. And shows two graphic cards in CPU-Z (the HiS one without any temp. specifications tho..

Its most likely just a bug, I bet if you swapped the two GPU's around it would display the HIS temps and not the Sapphire's

If you want to make sure both cards are working correctly just run a benchmark like 3DMark11 with crossfire enabled, and then again with crossfire disabled, if there's a large difference in scores then CF is working.

saren

Honorable
May 22, 2012

What do you mean by correct slots? Does it matter which card is placed where in the PCI-E slots? My MoBo is Asus P5Q-Pro. Crossfire bridge installed..

Your motherboard only has two PCI-E slots (Blue and black) so you can't get it wrong. ;)

jasont78

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

under ccc you can check details of both cards you just have to select the 2nd card to display the details also in earlier catalyst drivers (i got rid of my dual 4850's a while ago now) you could enable a crossfire logo 'watermark' when the 2nd gpu was utilised probably run something like 3dmark and check scores enabled and disabled within ccc. just remember not everything scales well and you may also run into driver issues micro stutter issues extra noise, heat and power consumption. welcome to the wonderful and awful world of multi gpu's
also side not as far as im aware crossfire is 2 cards crossfirex is 3 or more not 100% sure thought just a technicality

saren

Honorable
May 22, 2012

I will try this when I come home. Seems like a nice way to solve this problem.

rdc85

Honorable
Hw monitor cannot detect crossfire use GPU-z from TPU (free)..
U can tick the option "show Cross fire icon" and play some games to check it (u can use gpu-z render test also).. do both in fullscreen, CFX only work in fullscreen....

if it CFX is on then the icon will show up it uper right conner....

neopunx

Honorable
May 17, 2012
Hi all, I was having the same concerns and getting seriously angry at the situation. But what rdc85 jsut said was exactly right. Mine worked fine, just when there is no graphics load, the second card is just kind of on stand by to save power. Good luck.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

this one does detect crossfire:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

saren

Honorable
May 22, 2012
I just ran the 3DMark 11 and it seems like everything works perfectly. Thanks to everyone for helping me! :)