Is this PSU problem ? My GPU .......

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
My Galaxy GTX 460 was running well before its fan died.then i had it RMA'd but then after a month , it sstarted showing artifacts and i RMA'd it again .but things went on same and the dealer refused to replace it after failing 4 times .

All i had was artifacts problems donno why.

should i replace PSU . ? or what prolem is this ? is cpu faulty ? or motherboard ?

now i m getting GTX 550ti and Also replacing PSU with Corsair TX850 . Now is my GPU safe ?

why did i had artifacts ?

Solution

I think the PSU was the issue dude. :p

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
The temps were normal , like 45-50 Celcius . The pc would restart(this happened only while playing games ) and it was all like artifacts (like 16 bit scattered display ) .this happened to each GPU that they gave me after RMA .Four Gpus died like this only .

And my PSU (Zebronics Red Power 500 W) wasnt good but it was OK . Here in India Zebronics is an average PSU manufacturer .

I tell u the interesting part here , the last gpu when died was a bit weird becoz i was Playing witcher , and as soon as i reached a particular point on map , the gpu crashed. again when i started game after restart , reached the same point , it again crashed.after restart , the same thing happened , but afer third crash , it GPU died .

Its extremely unlikely that you would receive four consecutive faulty graphics cards and there's usually only three factors that cause artifacting or GPU degradation.

1) Temps are to high under load (90C+) From your previous post I would rule this one out.
2) A faulty or inadequate power supply, could well be the cause in this case.
3) Overclocking can kill a graphics card if pushed too hard, You haven't mentioned any overclocking so I'll assume this isn't the cause either.

The PSU you listed originally (TX850) is a quality unit and you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Xenturion

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Have you considered that it might be your monitor? I actually just went through a similar issue with my brother's computer. He tells me that he's getting green lines and artifacts. I take a look and sure enough, there are significant graphical anomalies (i.e. Green and Blue Lines stretching across the screen, glinting or shimmering of specific colors, etc). My immediate thought was the card. So, I swapped it out for my aging 4870X2. Same problem. I knew the 4870x2 wasn't in the best of shape so I wrote it off as damaged and used a 4870 instead. Still the same issue. Finally, I swap in my last 4870, one that I know is good, and the same issue occurred.

It was his monitor. As soon as I tried it with a different monitor, it worked perfectly. We eventually switched from DVI to HDMI on his monitor and the artifacts went away. I've seen my share of GPU graphical artifacts (two 4850's in a poorly ventilated case is a recipe for disaster) and they looked IDENTICAL to the anomalies on the monitor. Try a different monitor or a different input on your monitor; It might help.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
That is a very interesting post about the monitor causing graphical anomalies. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that if a monitor is poorly grounding the shell of the monitor-pc connection (or has a voltage on it's end of the shell connector), that it could actually cause your video card to operate improperly and die.

I had a friend who was seeing some really weird behavior with his monitor and his video cards, and I started suspecting the monitor in a similar way.

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012

The Retailer wasn't an Asshole. he checked every gpu i gave to him and confirmed the same problem.

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012

well my apologies here , coz i forgot actual temps i monitored. but now i confirm that the temps were around 65-75 celcius . but i think these aren't too high ,

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012

well my apologies here , coz i forgot actual temps i monitored. but now i confirm that the temps were around 65-75 celcius . but i think these aren't too high ,

pratmodi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012

well i overclocked my first default gpu but then the RMA'd ones i didnt overclocked . But i want to ask a question here . that i overclocked with MSi afterburner , but in later cards i didnt overclocked them manually with software , does these softwares O.C. gpu automatically once O.C.'d ??

I think the PSU was the issue dude. :p

Solution