Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC Freezing during highly intense sessions

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
November 26, 2012 1:58:48 AM

Hey guys, thanks in advance for reading.

To put my issue simply, my computer locks up while playing high intensity games, such as Battlefield 3, or Planetside 2. I can typically play for 5 minutes or so, and then it gives out. I seem to think it might be a PSU issue, but I am not entirely sure. I haven't took temps on all of my pieces, but I took track of my GPU, and it hovers around 50 degrees when my comp shuts down. Below are my specs

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM
Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7970
600W Power Supply
Intel H61 Motherboard
November 26, 2012 2:30:20 AM

What brand of PSU is it? If its some generic/no name one, then its not really a 600w psu. It will peak that momentarily but never maintain it. Its always worth having a good PSU from a repuatable brand.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 2:34:52 AM

look everyone i need some help here i been trying to overclock my acer x1301 which has a AMD ANTHLONIIx2 processor and a WMCP78M mole number and bios gives no options to over clock(i have a 2.7 GHz processor) please if some one could post pics or somthing i coundt find the right thread for this so a pely soon would be nice ps. iv tryed countles programs and dont have to have my ppl
m
0
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 2:37:29 AM

Go start your own thread instead of just writing over this guy. You arent the only one that needs help.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 2:38:33 AM

Burgies said:
What brand of PSU is it? If its some generic/no name one, then its not really a 600w psu. It will peak that momentarily but never maintain it. Its always worth having a good PSU from a repuatable brand.



Thanks for the response.

It is a generic brand of a PSU, nothing special. Do you think a 600W Corsair or Altec would make a difference? Or even if I had a reputable brand, would I need more like a 750W?
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:10:48 AM

Im not 100% sure its the problem, but it could be and wouldnt be a bad investment anyway. Those are both good brands, and 750watts will give you more upgrade freedom.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:13:26 AM

Burgies said:
Im not 100% sure its the problem, but it could be and wouldnt be a bad investment anyway. Those are both good brands, and 750watts will give you more upgrade freedom.


After looking a bit further, it seems like my PSU is only putting out 18A on my +12V and I believe my GPU required more than that. Do you think that could be the main issue?
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:26:59 AM

Sounds like it, i prefer a single rail also to ensure all the power can be used properly. I run a HX750 from corsair and it runs everything fine in my signature. I would be interested to see someone elses opinion on this though.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:33:32 AM

Burgies said:
Sounds like it, i prefer a single rail also to ensure all the power can be used properly. I run a HX750 from corsair and it runs everything fine in my signature. I would be interested to see someone elses opinion on this though.


Thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it. I don't know much about PSU's and have never assembled one before. In your opinion, is it something that can be done by an amateur or would you recommend I take it to someone else?

And I too am interested to hear from others. Keep the feedback coming :) 
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:37:04 AM

Assemble is not the right word. It seems to imply that you are making your own :p 
Installing one is not too difficult, infact it was the first thing i did getting my hands into a case. It was pretty much an excercise in replacing what was plugged in with the plugs from the new PSU. Although with modular PSUs and the like it might be a little overwhelming. I only tried it because I knew a local store i could take it to should i not manage it myself. Do some reading on it and you should be alright.
m
0
l
November 26, 2012 3:41:26 AM

Burgies said:
Assemble is not the right word. It seems to imply that you are making your own :p 
Installing one is not too difficult, infact it was the first thing i did getting my hands into a case. It was pretty much an excercise in replacing what was plugged in with the plugs from the new PSU. Although with modular PSUs and the like it might be a little overwhelming. I only tried it because I knew a local store i could take it to should i not manage it myself. Do some reading on it and you should be alright.


Cool man, thanks a lot!
m
0
l
!