PC Freezing during highly intense sessions

sPeddie

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
Hey guys, thanks in advance for reading.

To put my issue simply, my computer locks up while playing high intensity games, such as Battlefield 3, or Planetside 2. I can typically play for 5 minutes or so, and then it gives out. I seem to think it might be a PSU issue, but I am not entirely sure. I haven't took temps on all of my pieces, but I took track of my GPU, and it hovers around 50 degrees when my comp shuts down. Below are my specs

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz
8GB DDR3 1333MHz Dual Channel Memory
1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM
Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7970
600W Power Supply
Intel H61 Motherboard

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
What brand of PSU is it? If its some generic/no name one, then its not really a 600w psu. It will peak that momentarily but never maintain it. Its always worth having a good PSU from a repuatable brand.

123man0

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
look everyone i need some help here i been trying to overclock my acer x1301 which has a AMD ANTHLONIIx2 processor and a WMCP78M mole number and bios gives no options to over clock(i have a 2.7 GHz processor) please if some one could post pics or somthing i coundt find the right thread for this so a pely soon would be nice ps. iv tryed countles programs and dont have to have my ppl

sPeddie

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks for the response.

It is a generic brand of a PSU, nothing special. Do you think a 600W Corsair or Altec would make a difference? Or even if I had a reputable brand, would I need more like a 750W?

sPeddie

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

After looking a bit further, it seems like my PSU is only putting out 18A on my +12V and I believe my GPU required more than that. Do you think that could be the main issue?

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Sounds like it, i prefer a single rail also to ensure all the power can be used properly. I run a HX750 from corsair and it runs everything fine in my signature. I would be interested to see someone elses opinion on this though.

sPeddie

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I appreciate it. I don't know much about PSU's and have never assembled one before. In your opinion, is it something that can be done by an amateur or would you recommend I take it to someone else?

And I too am interested to hear from others. Keep the feedback coming :)

Burgies

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Assemble is not the right word. It seems to imply that you are making your own :p
Installing one is not too difficult, infact it was the first thing i did getting my hands into a case. It was pretty much an excercise in replacing what was plugged in with the plugs from the new PSU. Although with modular PSUs and the like it might be a little overwhelming. I only tried it because I knew a local store i could take it to should i not manage it myself. Do some reading on it and you should be alright.

sPeddie

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Cool man, thanks a lot!