Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
Hello, I've been wanting to build a computer for a long time and I think this summer I'm really going to do it.

I started looking at potential parts a few months ago, and recently looked at some of the builds you guys have been throwing around.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or two.

Budget Range: around $1300 for everything.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school work (includes solidworks work), internet, casual music listening and movie watching.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, I have nothing carrying over from my current computer.

Parts to Upgrade: New build, so everything.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I've been looking at Win7 Home

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel, but an awesome AMD build may swing me.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 I suppose

Additional Comments: I'm not looking for something too flashy, just something that works and is going to last me.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I work off of a older i3 laptop, and besides little things there isn't a whole lot it can handle. It's time to get out of the prebuilt computer world.

What I've looked at so far:
i5-3570k
AsRock Z77 I like the price.
Gtx 670 Could be out of my price range.
HD 7870 Other gpu I looked at.
PSU 750W Looked like a good deal when I searched it.
Asus Monitor Monitor I was looking at, looking for around that size.
G Skillz 8gb I don't know much about choosing ram, they all look the same to me.

Thanks in advance! Trying to put it all together.

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
I spent some time on pcpartpicker (wish I knew that site had existed months ago)

Using the parts I mentioned above I've come up with this:

First Build Updated with an HD 7950, a Gtx 670 would be cool, but I don't think I can swing it price wise.

I'm sure there are a few things that can be optimized looking at the benchmark sheet, but I've never really understood how those work.

g-unit1111

Titan
It's entirely possible to get a 670 on that kind of budget if you configure it right. I agree that the peripherals seem a bit excessive but if you cut those out initially you can spend that money elsewhere:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1192.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
I never realized the price on that thing, about a thirty dollar savings after I change that.

I've looked at some 60-120gb SSDs, a friend of mine has one and swears by them. I realize that prices on SSD are at a low right now, just need to figure out how to swing it with the rest of the parts. I guess it starts with that keyboard. :kaola: Problem is I'm not coming from a desktop, so I don't have anything that's going to transfer besides a crappy mouse.

Thank you guys for the input. I've re-worked the build adding some of g-units suggestions:
First Build

Holds about the same price with a Gtx 670, I have a feeling that SSD will have to come later. I've heard that the 912 is on the small side though, and g-unit would the Gigabyte board you suggested be a much better option than the AsRock I have here?

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Pretty solid build, personaly I prefer Asus over gigabite for overclocking mobo but this is a good one.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Personaly I never advice getting a SSD on anything below 1500$. Especialy with windows8 comming out soon and taking 8sec to boot on a HHD, And for windows7 just sue the sleep mode (who ever turn his computer down nowadays ?).

A 120gb or so SSD might be ok if your the kind of guy who play 1 or 2 game at a time I guess. Personaly I feel like 256gb is the bare minimum for an SSD.

And well all in all the rule of thumb is to never get a cheaper GPU in order to get an SSD. If you can afford a 670gtx + an SSD well do it. But going for a 7870 in order to use a SSD is a wrong move for a gaming PC.

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012
Ok so there is a suggestion of Asus as well for the mobo, is there an equivalent to the AsRock for nearly the same price? And Venur thank you for the SSD input. I think I'll hold on that and make it an upgrade down the road.

But otherwise I should be good then?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes - I'll second the 912 - it's a great case, especially for the price. It includes an SSD adapter and has a removable drive cage. I modded mine a bit to make it look like the European version. I should post a picture of my work PC if I can get my phone to connect to my computer. :lol:

Speedanimal

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2012

Excellent well I believe I will go with that then. I'll get this ordered in a couple of days then:
First Build Final

Thanks a bunch guys!