First Build, $1300 Budget

Hello, I've been wanting to build a computer for a long time and I think this summer I'm really going to do it.

I started looking at potential parts a few months ago, and recently looked at some of the builds you guys have been throwing around.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or two.

Budget Range: around $1300 for everything.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school work (includes solidworks work), internet, casual music listening and movie watching.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, I have nothing carrying over from my current computer.

Parts to Upgrade: New build, so everything.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I've been looking at Win7 Home

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel, but an awesome AMD build may swing me.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 I suppose

Additional Comments: I'm not looking for something too flashy, just something that works and is going to last me.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I work off of a older i3 laptop, and besides little things there isn't a whole lot it can handle. It's time to get out of the prebuilt computer world.

What I've looked at so far:
i5-3570k
AsRock Z77 I like the price.
Gtx 670 Could be out of my price range.
HD 7870 Other gpu I looked at.
PSU 750W Looked like a good deal when I searched it.
Asus Monitor Monitor I was looking at, looking for around that size.
G Skillz 8gb I don't know much about choosing ram, they all look the same to me.

Thanks in advance! Trying to put it all together.
13 answers Last reply
More about first build 1300 budget
  1. I spent some time on pcpartpicker (wish I knew that site had existed months ago)

Using the parts I mentioned above I've come up with this:

First Build Updated with an HD 7950, a Gtx 670 would be cool, but I don't think I can swing it price wise.

I'm sure there are a few things that can be optimized looking at the benchmark sheet, but I've never really understood how those work.
  2. Seems great. I'm not sold on the $50 keyboard which seems a bit much, and for $1000+ I might expect an SSD these days, but overall a solid build.
  3. It's entirely possible to get a 670 on that kind of budget if you configure it right. I agree that the peripherals seem a bit excessive but if you cut those out initially you can spend that money elsewhere:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1192.90
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
  4. Well he can't really do anything on the computer without a keyboard. :P
  5. I never realized the price on that thing, about a thirty dollar savings after I change that.

I've looked at some 60-120gb SSDs, a friend of mine has one and swears by them. I realize that prices on SSD are at a low right now, just need to figure out how to swing it with the rest of the parts. I guess it starts with that keyboard. :kaola: Problem is I'm not coming from a desktop, so I don't have anything that's going to transfer besides a crappy mouse.

Thank you guys for the input. I've re-worked the build adding some of g-units suggestions:
    First Build

Holds about the same price with a Gtx 670, I have a feeling that SSD will have to come later. I've heard that the 912 is on the small side though, and g-unit would the Gigabyte board you suggested be a much better option than the AsRock I have here?
  6. Looks good! The ASRock is fine, but either would work, really. The 912 is pretty big. G-unit has it at work and he loves it. :P
  7. g-unit1111 said:
    It's entirely possible to get a 670 on that kind of budget if you configure it right. I agree that the peripherals seem a bit excessive but if you cut those out initially you can spend that money elsewhere:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
    Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1192.90
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Pretty solid build, personaly I prefer Asus over gigabite for overclocking mobo but this is a good one.
  8. Speedanimal said:
    I never realized the price on that thing, about a thirty dollar savings after I change that.

I've looked at some 60-120gb SSDs, a friend of mine has one and swears by them. I realize that prices on SSD are at a low right now, just need to figure out how to swing it with the rest of the parts. I guess it starts with that keyboard. :kaola: Problem is I'm not coming from a desktop, so I don't have anything that's going to transfer besides a crappy mouse.

Thank you guys for the input. I've re-worked the build adding some of g-units suggestions:
    First Build

Holds about the same price with a Gtx 670, I have a feeling that SSD will have to come later. I've heard that the 912 is on the small side though, and g-unit would the Gigabyte board you suggested be a much better option than the AsRock I have here?

Personaly I never advice getting a SSD on anything below 1500$. Especialy with windows8 comming out soon and taking 8sec to boot on a HHD, And for windows7 just sue the sleep mode (who ever turn his computer down nowadays ?).

A 120gb or so SSD might be ok if your the kind of guy who play 1 or 2 game at a time I guess. Personaly I feel like 256gb is the bare minimum for an SSD.

And well all in all the rule of thumb is to never get a cheaper GPU in order to get an SSD. If you can afford a 670gtx + an SSD well do it. But going for a 7870 in order to use a SSD is a wrong move for a gaming PC.
  9. I do..
  10. Ok so there is a suggestion of Asus as well for the mobo, is there an equivalent to the AsRock for nearly the same price? And Venur thank you for the SSD input. I think I'll hold on that and make it an upgrade down the road.

But otherwise I should be good then?
  11. azeem40 said:
    Looks good! The ASRock is fine, but either would work, really. The 912 is pretty big. G-unit has it at work and he loves it. :P

Yes - I'll second the 912 - it's a great case, especially for the price. It includes an SSD adapter and has a removable drive cage. I modded mine a bit to make it look like the European version. I should post a picture of my work PC if I can get my phone to connect to my computer. :lol:
  12. azeem40 said:
    Looks good! The ASRock is fine, but either would work, really. The 912 is pretty big. G-unit has it at work and he loves it. :P

Excellent well I believe I will go with that then. I'll get this ordered in a couple of days then:
    First Build Final

Thanks a bunch guys!
  13. Speedanimal said:
    Excellent well I believe I will go with that then. I'll get this ordered in a couple of days then:
    First Build Final

Thanks a bunch guys!

Looks good to me!
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems Product