Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Build, $1300 Budget

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 15, 2012 4:22:42 PM

Hello, I've been wanting to build a computer for a long time and I think this summer I'm really going to do it.

I started looking at potential parts a few months ago, and recently looked at some of the builds you guys have been throwing around.


Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next week or two.

Budget Range: around $1300 for everything.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, school work (includes solidworks work), internet, casual music listening and movie watching.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes, I have nothing carrying over from my current computer.

Parts to Upgrade: New build, so everything.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, I've been looking at Win7 Home

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.newegg.com

Location: City, State/Region, Country: United States - Texas

Parts Preferences: Intel, but an awesome AMD build may swing me.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 I suppose

Additional Comments: I'm not looking for something too flashy, just something that works and is going to last me.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I work off of a older i3 laptop, and besides little things there isn't a whole lot it can handle. It's time to get out of the prebuilt computer world.

What I've looked at so far:
i5-3570k
AsRock Z77 I like the price.
Gtx 670 Could be out of my price range.
HD 7870 Other gpu I looked at.
PSU 750W Looked like a good deal when I searched it.
Asus Monitor Monitor I was looking at, looking for around that size.
G Skillz 8gb I don't know much about choosing ram, they all look the same to me.

Thanks in advance! Trying to put it all together.

More about : build 1300 budget

July 15, 2012 5:22:46 PM

I spent some time on pcpartpicker (wish I knew that site had existed months ago)

Using the parts I mentioned above I've come up with this:

First Build Updated with an HD 7950, a Gtx 670 would be cool, but I don't think I can swing it price wise.

I'm sure there are a few things that can be optimized looking at the benchmark sheet, but I've never really understood how those work.
July 15, 2012 5:54:36 PM

Seems great. I'm not sold on the $50 keyboard which seems a bit much, and for $1000+ I might expect an SSD these days, but overall a solid build.
Related resources
July 15, 2012 6:10:36 PM

It's entirely possible to get a 670 on that kind of budget if you configure it right. I agree that the peripherals seem a bit excessive but if you cut those out initially you can spend that money elsewhere:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1192.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
July 15, 2012 6:14:39 PM

Well he can't really do anything on the computer without a keyboard. :p 
July 15, 2012 6:25:28 PM

I never realized the price on that thing, about a thirty dollar savings after I change that.

I've looked at some 60-120gb SSDs, a friend of mine has one and swears by them. I realize that prices on SSD are at a low right now, just need to figure out how to swing it with the rest of the parts. I guess it starts with that keyboard. :kaola:  Problem is I'm not coming from a desktop, so I don't have anything that's going to transfer besides a crappy mouse.

Thank you guys for the input. I've re-worked the build adding some of g-units suggestions:
First Build

Holds about the same price with a Gtx 670, I have a feeling that SSD will have to come later. I've heard that the 912 is on the small side though, and g-unit would the Gigabyte board you suggested be a much better option than the AsRock I have here?

July 15, 2012 6:29:35 PM

Looks good! The ASRock is fine, but either would work, really. The 912 is pretty big. G-unit has it at work and he loves it. :p 
July 15, 2012 6:32:08 PM

g-unit1111 said:
It's entirely possible to get a 670 on that kind of budget if you configure it right. I agree that the peripherals seem a bit excessive but if you cut those out initially you can spend that money elsewhere:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1192.90
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)


Pretty solid build, personaly I prefer Asus over gigabite for overclocking mobo but this is a good one.
July 15, 2012 6:38:04 PM

Speedanimal said:
I never realized the price on that thing, about a thirty dollar savings after I change that.

I've looked at some 60-120gb SSDs, a friend of mine has one and swears by them. I realize that prices on SSD are at a low right now, just need to figure out how to swing it with the rest of the parts. I guess it starts with that keyboard. :kaola:  Problem is I'm not coming from a desktop, so I don't have anything that's going to transfer besides a crappy mouse.

Thank you guys for the input. I've re-worked the build adding some of g-units suggestions:
First Build

Holds about the same price with a Gtx 670, I have a feeling that SSD will have to come later. I've heard that the 912 is on the small side though, and g-unit would the Gigabyte board you suggested be a much better option than the AsRock I have here?


Personaly I never advice getting a SSD on anything below 1500$. Especialy with windows8 comming out soon and taking 8sec to boot on a HHD, And for windows7 just sue the sleep mode (who ever turn his computer down nowadays ?).

A 120gb or so SSD might be ok if your the kind of guy who play 1 or 2 game at a time I guess. Personaly I feel like 256gb is the bare minimum for an SSD.

And well all in all the rule of thumb is to never get a cheaper GPU in order to get an SSD. If you can afford a 670gtx + an SSD well do it. But going for a 7870 in order to use a SSD is a wrong move for a gaming PC.
July 15, 2012 6:49:38 PM

I do..
July 15, 2012 6:53:58 PM

Ok so there is a suggestion of Asus as well for the mobo, is there an equivalent to the AsRock for nearly the same price? And Venur thank you for the SSD input. I think I'll hold on that and make it an upgrade down the road.

But otherwise I should be good then?
July 15, 2012 7:40:54 PM

azeem40 said:
Looks good! The ASRock is fine, but either would work, really. The 912 is pretty big. G-unit has it at work and he loves it. :p 


Yes - I'll second the 912 - it's a great case, especially for the price. It includes an SSD adapter and has a removable drive cage. I modded mine a bit to make it look like the European version. I should post a picture of my work PC if I can get my phone to connect to my computer. :lol: 
July 15, 2012 10:18:52 PM

azeem40 said:
Looks good! The ASRock is fine, but either would work, really. The 912 is pretty big. G-unit has it at work and he loves it. :p 


Excellent well I believe I will go with that then. I'll get this ordered in a couple of days then:
First Build Final

Thanks a bunch guys!
July 15, 2012 11:06:14 PM

Speedanimal said:
Excellent well I believe I will go with that then. I'll get this ordered in a couple of days then:
First Build Final

Thanks a bunch guys!


Looks good to me!
!