Silence and quality cooling, looking for help with my plan / idea.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Couple of weeks.

See im trying to figure out how to make my pc near silent, as at my current setup my cpu cooler + gpu coolers make the most noise, thus pretty much voiding my insanely silent fans.

I will basically be building a new system by replacing what is currently in my 800d corsair case.

My setup will be the following:

Motherboard: MSI Big Bang II
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Big-Bang-XPower-II.html

Cpu: Intel 3930k
http://ark.intel.com/products/63697/

RAM:
F3-17000CL9Q-16GBZH
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=438

SSD:
Not sure yet thinking of either the M4 crucial or 830 samsung.

GPU:
Will be using my current 560ti gigabyte soc till the 700 nvidia series get released.

PSU:
I like the technology of corsairs ax1200i where the fan is shut down till over 40% load is used.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AX1200i-Digital-ATX-80_PLUS_Platinum-psu,15931.html

This:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seasonic-P-1000-Platinum-Series-Supply/dp/B00608FKN8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1339265819&sr=8-7
Has the same technology, but was hoping to find something a bit more Wattage.

I am searching for something with similar technology and the sweet spot or perfect spot seems to be a 1500w one that turns of its fan untill over 40% should keep the fan turned off even at full load on my setup.
But i can not find the right psu yet, i can seem to find psu with that specific technology much.

The Cooling:

This is the tricky part for me, i would like to water cool both my Cpu and future GPU, but ive never done water cooling before, so this worries me a bit.

Now as i said im looking for the quietest setup where i turn my pc and finally for once not hear the sound of a plane taking off, but instead a low noise hum or whisper lvl noise is ok.

The Radiator I am thinking of is SR-1 360:
http://www.hwlabs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=6

Because it works great with low rpm fans.

Theses are my fans Cougar CF-V12H:
http://www.cougar-world.de/en/products/479/vortex-hdb.html
They are pretty silent fans keeps my current setup cool.

Cpu block:
EK Supreme HF Nickel Plated Copper

Im still struggling to find the right pump, because i cant seem to find the right one. I live in Latvia currently. But I am more then happy to get stuff from Amazon uk, or Amazon DE, or localy by using Salidzini.lv, i dont really mind where my stuff come from as long as they can send it to me :).

Anyone have any ideas or tips / advice on how i should continue ?

I thought of possibly buying one of those all in one kit as im not sure how to make a full water cooling setup, because im not sure how a full water cooling setup should contain.

Anyways anyone have any ideas or tip for my plan ? And ideas or thoughts on the perfect PSU that fits the bill of what im looking for ?

g-unit1111

Titan
What's the primary use for this system? Gaming? Photo / video editing? If it's gaming the 3930K is major overkill, but if you're running CS 5 / 6 or rendering programs then it will be useful.

The Corsair AX1200 is very nice but with new GPUs being so energy efficient, 1200W is complete overkill anymore. You could get by with an 850W and then save some money there.

1: if you go x79, just pick yourself up a asus rampage 4 extreme. best board out there right now. if you dont plan on using more than 32gb of memory, get the rampage 4 formula. has about the same features but has much better on-board sound. the extreme boards are for mad overclockers while the formula is geared for gamers mostly

2: i would just pick up a set of 1866mhz cl9 memory. there isnt any advantage of using 2133mhz or higher memory since apps dont benefit from it and that the memory speeds have to make up for the high latencies. plus most 2133 kits are 1.65v and that isnt good for the onboard memory controller

3: id go with samsung 830. if the crucial one is cheaper by more than 30 bucks, then get the crucial. another good one is the plextor m3 PRO. it uses marvel (consistent and reliable) controller and toggle nand (best NAND for consumers)

4:i dont see the point of blowing 400+ dollars on PSU. just go get a seasonic 1250w 80+ gold. the difference between gold and platinum is 3-5%. hybrid fan mode is avaliable with the seasonic unit as well. by the time the 700 series arive, the power usage will be extremely low so that means that a 1200w unit or even a 1000w unit can power 4way SLI

5:for the fans, id get some corsair sp120 quiet editions. they perform as well as noctua nf-f12s (pretty much best silent fan) while being quieter than noctua. the performance editions just arent worth it as they dont perform that much better and are much louder

g-unit1111

Titan
2: i would just pick up a set of 1866mhz cl9 memory. there isnt any advantage of using 2133mhz or higher memory since apps dont benefit from it and that the memory speeds have to make up for the high latencies. plus most 2133 kits are 1.65v and that isnt good for the onboard memory controller

Yeah but even 1866 is pretty useless as on default settings your motherboard runs the lowest RAM speeds it can handle.

3: id go with samsung 830. if the crucial one is cheaper by more than 30 bucks, then get the crucial. another good one is the plextor m3 PRO. it uses marvel (consistent and reliable) controller and toggle nand (best NAND for consumers)

I'd go for the Plextor if you're running CS5 / 6.

Unless you OC it.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Gaming + Video editing.

I was thinking of the hybrid fan mode, i was trying to go for the most silent possible setup, and a fan turned off should be much quieter then a fan turned on that was my thoughts on this, i knew it was an overkill. But wondered if the silence it can bring instead will actually be of any benefit, or will it be completely noticeable.

g-unit1111

Titan

I'd heavily suggest reading this article before you go blow tons of money on expensive cooling solutions. Most fans are silent anymore and case makers have become very wise to this issue. Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

1. Reason i chose this board due to it being much cooler then the competition, other wise i loved the specs of the G1.Assassin 2 but i also got worried about the problems they had in the beginning with their capacitors which made me worry about that.

2. Considering they are pretty much the same price, where i wouldn't save much $$ would it then be worth it ? IF not what do you recommend me to get instead ?

3. Ill have to check the best prices when the time comes and then ill know what ill buy.

4.As i said was thinking of the hybrid fan where it shuts off thus eliminating fan noise from the psu.

5.I already have the fans, and im happy with them work great and quite, pushes a lot of air though :D.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Recommendation on a Gold / Platinum PSU that is near silent?

g-unit1111

Titan

You can't go wrong with Seasonic - most of the good manufacturers pretty much rebrand their PSUs anymore. The Corsair AX and HX are rebranded Seasonic units.

g-unit1111

Titan

Good choice but 1KW is pretty much overkill on any build - the 670 uses 1/2 the power that its' predecessor did - even on SLI you won't come close to using 750W.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

I am not sure what you are replying too, where did i say good looks = better quality i know its not.

If you meant my cougar fans, since im happy with them, and the reviews that i referred too when i bought them where great then obviously their quality is good too.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Why the Asus rampage 4 over everything else is their a reason behind it ?

You seem to even prefer it over MSI big bang II too how come ?

because asus puts a ton of effort in making their ROG boards and all the features are actually useful. the rampage 4 formula and the rampage 4 extreme are the only boards that i have heard of that you can find waterblocks for the motherboard.

no thanks for the msi big bang II. i like how its all black but i prefer stability and usablity. plus, the formula board is reasonably priced

formula boards=for gamers and enthousiasts
extreme boards= for watercoolers and extreme users

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I thank you all for your time and patience :).

@TheBigTroll
I thank you for your time and patience too, even though i respect your opinion and advice about the ROG i still decided to go with the MSI Big Bang II it looks much better, it has almost all the same features that Rog offers + a few better ones in my opinion.

I took your advice on the Ram and found one working on 1.5v and yet with 2133mhz and still pretty tight timings for its speed.

serenatous

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011

Yes but not by much.

And the difference between a M4 and a Samsung 830 is 200 USD more or less.